E010 error on power up -does no clear

Chantal

Aug 22, 2021
Whistler
well, I have tried all known to me e010error fixes -hoping for a miracle answer from here.

Motor is of course is out of warranty ....after a few days of the usual e010/w013 errors , which easily cleared with some battery off on, we ended up with a persistent W013 error....it cleared after putting the bike on the stand and pedalling for a bit. Realized the cranks were a bit loose while at it and tightened the bolts a bit

But the next day the bike had an immediate e010error when turning the pedal at first, but now it has a e010 right when the battery is turned on and nothing will clear it.

I have cleaned all the connections ...everything looks good ? There was no noise (I.e bearing issue) or other sign to why the failure ? All softwares are up to date and tried a few different batteries too

Has anybody had an out of warranty motor replaced by shimano directly ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
E010 is a generic system error whilst the W (warning) 013 is merely a consequence on the system fault. The good news is that your fault was at first intermittent and is now permanent which should make it easier to find. The most likely problem is a cable or connection disconnection and given the history of it being intermittent at first it is not likely to be a easily visible fault. You should now be able to do a close inspection of each cable/connection in turn to see if the fault changes.

Chantal

Aug 22, 2021
Whistler
E010 is a generic system error whilst the W (warning) 013 is merely a consequence on the system fault. The good news is that your fault was at first intermittent and is now permanent which should make it easier to find. The most likely problem is a cable or connection disconnection and given the history of it being intermittent at first it is not likely to be a easily visible fault. You should now be able to do a close inspection of each cable/connection in turn to see if the fault changes.
Sadly no loose connection, but I have cleaned all connections with contact cleaner but no luck

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
When this E010/W013 error appears, everybody blames battery connection and if cleaning the contacts does not fix the error, then it is said to be caused by a Software error and the only fix is to replace the motor by a new one.

But before spending big bucks in a new motor, that probably is not available from Shimano, there's nothing to lose in opening the motor and checking the bearings, there may be a damaged bearing that is causing the error, and replacing it is cheap and not too difficult.

In this thread you'll find all the information to replace the bearings:

Last edited:

Chantal

Aug 22, 2021
Whistler
Spiff - I agree and if we were home - I’d be a bit more adventurous in trying to find a fix as I am out of warranty anyways … alas we are currently traveling :(…. Long term I think I will always keep a donor bike around to salvage while fixing what breaks in the main bike … I do this for forks, wheels etc why not for motors … sadly not an option while my shop is an ocean away

Chantal

Aug 22, 2021
Whistler
Ps also I don’t understand how a software error can brick a motor so bad it needs to be replaced ? Why is a shop not able to reboot ? Really dislike the black box approach of the ebike motor

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
In a Facebook Shimano owners group was said that a fix to this error E010/w013 is to use APP STUNLOCKER (around $2) to change the chainring teeth number in motor configuration, and then change it back to the original size. I posted this fix here, but I am not sure if it works:

The APP STUNLOCKER:

BTW, I also do not understand that in the age of RRR (Reuse&Repair&ReCycle), Shimano solution for any minor motor issue is to throw it away and buy a new motor for 1100€ , because Shimano has chosen not to repair the motor nor to sell any of the internal parts. While other ebike motor brands sell bearings or belt kits to repair the motors and provide videos and instructions.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles