E-Sommet seat tube maximum insertion in size M

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hi. I'd like to buy Vitus E-Sommet VRX. I'm jumping a lot and at least 170mm dropper is compulsory for me. I need to know what is the maximum insertion length on size M. I don't mind fitting a dropper with external routing so I'm just interested in how much the actual main part of the dropper can go down.

E-Sommet size M has seat post with length of 433m. That means that in my case OneUp V2 170mm would have to go 148mm inside the frame + 15mm for actuator (which is maybe slim enough to be treated as a cable).

My current bike has 725mm from crank axle to saddle rails. I have 175mm cranks. Vitus has 160mm cranks so the distance from crank axle to saddle rails has to be 740mm. 740 - 433 = 307mm above the seat post collar. OneUp V2 total length (170mm version) is 470mm. 470 - 307 = 163mm of insertion with actuator, and 148mm without it.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont know the exact answer, but on my L when I tried a 170mm One Up it didn't work,, just stuck out way to far. The stock 150mm Brand X can just about be fully inserted on the L, and I suspect not quite on the M.

However I have never found the seat heigh when slammed on the bike to be an issue, the frame design makes it a very chuckable bike.

@Gary may b bake to help, he is 6ft but rides a small with a long dropper as he likes to makes shapes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just looking back though some old posts, it seems the max insertion on a small sizes seat tube on the 2018 E-Sommets was 165mm , and on the large 175mm, nothing posted about a M, but would seem fair to guess at 170mm - I think they made a slight change over the years in to how deep the seat post is reamed, but if they did it won't have been by much, as they do it to prevent you hitting the shock by over inserting the post.

This is my bike, I have a 32 inch inseam, and the 150mm brand X is probably 10mm up form being as far down as it will go. I dont run the saddle as high as I would on a normal MTB, as I find on an emtb you find more time seated when climbing, and it works better with the saddle not maxing out your leg extension, I could prob run the post another 20mm higher. Size large.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 22.53.47.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Slightly more helpful (but really rather dull) reply.

The small's seat tube is around 13cm deep top to stop (but even if that stop weren't there you couldn't run a dropper seatpost any deeper as the actuator/cable would be too close to the shock).

The reasons I can run a 170mm with it not fully inserted (it's about 10mm from fully inserted) post are 4 fold
  1. I have a 33" inseam
  2. I run racey low stack saddles (rails to top)
  3. I run my saddle nose up.
  4. I do run all my saddle at full XC style leg extension when fully extended.
I don't need a 170mm dropper at all, no one does. If you're *needing* that much room your technique for drops, jumps and super steep technical descending seriously needs work. or you're possibly on too #Fashionably long a frame reach.
There's absolutely NOTHING I wouldn't ride with the stock 120mm dropper the small comes with that I do now.

why I *wanted* a 170mm dropper was for a bit more crotch room when manualling brakeless. (which takes more movement than using a brake does) If I had bothered to learn to brake drag manual when I learned to manual all those years back that extra 20mm wouldn't really be all that useful.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Now the incredibly dull, zero fun reply...
E-Sommet size M has seat post with length of 433m. That means that in my case OneUp V2 170mm would have to go 148mm inside the frame + 15mm for actuator (which is maybe slim enough to be treated as a cable).

My current bike has 725mm from crank axle to saddle rails. I have 175mm cranks. Vitus has 160mm cranks so the distance from crank axle to saddle rails has to be 740mm. 740 - 433 = 307mm above the seat post collar. OneUp V2 total length (170mm version) is 470mm. 470 - 307 = 163mm of insertion with actuator, and 148mm without it.

The 170mm dropper I run is a brand X and is noticably longer than the 170mm One up

I'm guessing you may not have a one up dropper already?
I say this because your calculations don't take into account One-Up's retarded (outer cable having to move to actuate the post) actuator.
If you are going to fit a one up post anywhere near as deep as full insertion is on a small ESommet i'd advise you to fit their V2 actuator (Which just happens to be the same design as a brand X)..
They're very similar posts

Your saddle rails to centre of BB axle measurement is pretty close to mine.
you don't mention anything about your saddle or it's stack height though.
and you haven'tmentioned your inseam length
and you haven't mentioned whether you ride flats or clips (
or ride in thick or thin soled shoes,
or use thin or thick bodied pedals

despite the above I'd guess you have a fairly similar inseam measurement to me. which if this is the case means you could definitely ride a SMALL E Sommet with a 170mm Brand X post

The Small Esommet seattube length is stated as 382mm Vs 422mm for the medium.
Obviously the Medium needs it's seat tube to be reamed 40mm than the small deeper to allow the same seatpost to be positioned as low as the small can.
if it is not. You have a few options
  1. Ream the seattube deeper (invalidating the frame warranty - if anyone actually notices during a warranty claim)
  2. fit a shorter seatpost
  3. fit lower stack saddle/thicker pedals
  4. use the One up seal head spacers to reduce the travel of the one-Up post fine tuned to suit.

All my bikes (hardtails, Enduro, trail, Eeb and roadbike) run 165mm cranks, and all run lightweight, racey, minimalist Selle Italia SLR 135 (or very similar) saddles with very low stack height, all* run low profile flats and I ride in thin soled skate shoes (a lot lower than something like a 5:10 impact).
*with the exception of my roadbike which I ride in SPDs

Hopefully someone will be along shortly who has measured their M frame's seat tube max insertion. it can be a PITA removing it because of the cable routing.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Thank you Guys for all the replies. Really appreciate it. Answering some questions. I run flat pedals (Hope for life!). My inseam is 32,5. Saddle is Fizik Monte ... The geometry of M is definitely something that will suit me best. I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall. So long legs and short torso. In theory I could run S, M and L frames no problem. L is WAY too long as a whole bike. It's gonna kill the fun factor. S would actually be a good idea, but I'm planning not only to risk my life on this bike, but also to ride with my kids on it. This is the "reason" I can buy 15th bike in our family :D. If you don't know MacRide saddle check it out. It's the most innovative thing since the dropper. But restricted to parents ;). Also M will be great at high speeds. I ride in Alps. And I like it fast. Actually I'm one of faster guys here in Munich area.

When it comes to the statement that nobody needs 170mm. On my enduro bike I'll soon install 210mm. On my street/dirt bike the seat tube has 13 inches. My bunny hop technique I suppose is quite good. I'm progressing in it for a LONG time now. And jumped over stuff higher than 90cm. I swear by heart that I need more than 150mm dropper.
10975846.jpg

That's me :).

Thanks again for all the replies.

raf

May 7, 2020
UK
I think the 2020 e-sommet is reamed deeper. I've just received a size M and the supplied 125mm dropper will go almost all the way in minus about 15mm. According to the diagram for the BrandX dropper this means about 200mm insertion. At this point the actuator is very close to hitting the shock so this may be the limiting factor depending on your dropper design.

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Thanks. I think that gathering all the answers together builds a clear picture. 180mm OneUp V2 dropper should fit without a problem. Right now I'm trying to find a way to get a small discount in CRC. I'll do an update ASA I'll receive the bike.

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Hi @goroncy i have a medium e-sommet and have tried a 170mm oneup and brand-x. I am 5ft 9 and the one up fits no bother, but the brand x I am going to have to shim to 160mm. But at 5ft 11 I guess either would work for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles