E-MTB surplus greatly exaggerated?

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I keep reading about this supposed e-mtb dealer surplus but I've been waiting... and waiting since late December to get my new E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown e-mtb and now I finally get word the it is "on the ship" and will be ready for pickup in late February. The company HQ is only 50 miles away so I prefer to pick it up myself and test ride it there to see that everything works OK.
This bike is a 95 pound monster for hunting and exploring old Nevada and California mining roads and ghost towns. It will never be a light and agile e-mtb but instead a hauler of gear or boned-out big game meat. Plus with 2 batteries it has a lot of range.
As an ultra light backpacker I have all the gear I need for bike camping.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Dealers/manufacturers won't be in a rush to drop prices but if inventory builds prices will have to come down, perhaps later this year (wife needs to upgrade to dual suspension).
99bikes in Oz has some specials going on name brand EMTB's including some 2021 stock that's still around.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I was talking to our national Yeti distrib and he said they have some more bikes in stock than they would like, but they prefer to cut costs and reduce future orders rather than discount existing stock, which makes sense to me.

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
I keep reading all these predictions that bike prices are going to drop because of excessive inventory but I’m still skeptical that it will be across the board. I can certainly see previous year models and less popular bikes getting deep discounts, but what about current popular bikes like the Trek Fuel Exe or the Orbea Rise? I would think the industry will still be looking at the demand side of supply/demand and take the profit where they can get it. I guess now it’s a matter of having the patience to wait and see.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That’s a beast.

5A5ED9A5-9875-4657-AECA-A9AF8C3A21E9.jpeg

69D4B76F-CCB6-478A-A075-F9CC8B024AC1.jpeg

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
How do you get on in Nevada and Cali on that? I thought those 2 states were strict on what you ride.

The cops have no idea what they are seeing, and ignore them. I have ridden two different oversized/overpowered e-bikes, even in parks, right by police and they don't even look. In my area that was definitely a violation, and possibly criminal.

As to the original question on surplus and pricing, I've seen my friends pick up really good discounts on new bikes recently. The e-cells utility bike is in its own market outside of the MTB market, and not ever going to be mainstream.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I was talking to our national Yeti distrib and he said they have some more bikes in stock than they would like, but they prefer to cut costs and reduce future orders rather than discount existing stock, which makes sense to me.
My buddy back in the US is a high volume Yeti dealer and can’t move the 160e. He’s even started breaking them down and trying to sell as a frame only and still can’t get rid of them. He has no issues selling the other brands he stocks though.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Here in NZ it seems the only ebikes really relieving serious price drops are the lite models. Spec sl levos and kenevos etc. They don't seem to be selling in this part of the world

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
I keep reading about this supposed e-mtb dealer surplus but I've been waiting... and waiting since late December to get my new E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown e-mtb and now I finally get word the it is "on the ship" and will be ready for pickup in late February. The company HQ is only 50 miles away so I prefer to pick it up myself and test ride it there to see that everything works OK.
This bike is a 95 pound monster for hunting and exploring old Nevada and California mining roads and ghost towns. It will never be a light and agile e-mtb but instead a hauler of gear or boned-out big game meat. Plus with 2 batteries it has a lot of range.
As an ultra light backpacker I have all the gear I need for bike camping.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Stihldog,
Thanks for posting the photos of "The Monster".
Yeah, at 95 pounds it IS a monster. I got it for hunting to haul out boned-out elk, mule deer and antelope. It is capable of hauling out 400 pounds (including me, natch). I need a "Jeep" for backcountry hunting and hauling. After comparing it to other backcountry hauling bikes I realized that the E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown (whew! a mouthful) was definitely of better quality and had many more features than the next closest competitor (Rambo something). The original model my bike had cadence sensing assist button has torque sensing assist. The hydraulic brakes have 2.3 mm thick rotors.
I got this bike because I hate ATVs for hunting. They are a pox on the land and scare animals.

I discovered today that the delivery problem - 3 months late - was due to battery supply problems and nothing else.
It's now at a TREK shop getting TANNUS tube protectors and smaller tubes installed.

To charge the 2 batteries during a week long hunt (it has a patented single charge port) I have a BLUETTI AC200 MAX lithium iron phosphate power center (big-ass 62 pound battery) and it is kept charged with a 220 watt Off Grid TREK Canadian made 3' x 6' folding solar "blanket" cabled and locked to the top of my SUV. A "spendy" system but also good for home power outages and car camping.

BTW, my bike came with a front tubular basket and a smaller headlight below it, as per my order. And yeah, it is nearly an electric motorcycle. It must be insured as such due to its high power output with those 52 V, 15 ah and 20 ah batteries and the manufacturer's special order BAFANG 1,500 watt hub motors. The owner of E-CELLS tells me BAFANG makes these motors only for him with an exclusive contract to not sell them to other companies for a specified number of years. The company is located in Pahrump, Nevada, only 60 miles from me, another plus.

Last edited:

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
cozzy,
PERSACTLY!

Different bikes for different purposes, like ev-trucks and ev-cars, very different uses and some crossover uses.
Look at the RAMBO Megatron 2 wheel drive bike. Not even close in quality, power and features to the E-CELLS bike and then RAMBO prices it about $1,400. more.

BTW, I did take delivery on my bike recently. Right now it's in the shop getting Tannus tire liners and smaller inner tubes. Here in the Mojave Desert around the Las Vegas valley we have an abundance of cactus "stickers" and thorny bushes so all mtb riders here need these tire liners.

Last edited:

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
The cops have no idea what they are seeing, and ignore them. I have ridden two different oversized/overpowered e-bikes, even in parks, right by police and they don't even look. In my area that was definitely a violation, and possibly criminal.

As to the original question on surplus and pricing, I've seen my friends pick up really good discounts on new bikes recently. The e-cells utility bike is in its own market outside of the MTB market, and not ever going to be mainstream.
SWAMPNuT,
I agree, "utility" bikes like my E-CELLS are not going to sell like much lighter e-mtb trail bikes.
BUT hunters are buying up these bikes in greater numbers every year because, let's face it, they are far quieter than a stinky ATV and better for the environment. Plus are useful in urban settings as well.
I gotta say I DO ride my heavy e-mtb bike on local trails, along with other e-mtb riders and enjoy it a lot. It's never going to be a replacement for training hikes with a 30 pound pack and hiking poles but hey, ya gotta have "alternative fun".

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Humanbeerspong, I envy your handle. Her in the American colonies we are having a Craft Beer Renaissance.
Smart beer drinkers here in the US never drink Budweiser because they know that the horses that make Budweiser have kidney problems.

Glad to hear you saved 1774 Pounds Sterling on your bike. I saved over $1,400 on my E-CELLS bike, not even considering all the many extra features that came with my bike. That's a LOT of beer!

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
Humanbeerspong, I envy your handle. Her in the American colonies we are having a Craft Beer Renaissance.
Smart beer drinkers here in the US never drink Budweiser because they know that the horses that make Budweiser have kidney problems.

Glad to hear you saved 1774 Pounds Sterling on your bike. I saved over $1,400 on my E-CELLS bike, not even considering all the many extra features that came with my bike. That's a LOT of beer!
Living in the UK we are also seeing a massive surge in Craft Beer, but our best selling beer is Carling which I wouldn`t use to clean the toilet. I do like the original Budvar Budweiser from the Czech brewery. I believe they are still in dispute with the US parent company of Budweiser on the name. I tend to drink premium European lagers especially Czech, German and Belgium.

Happy drinking!!!

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Living in the UK we are also seeing a massive surge in Craft Beer, but our best selling beer is Carling which I wouldn`t use to clean the toilet. I do like the original Budvar Budweiser from the Czech brewery. I believe they are still in dispute with the US parent company of Budweiser on the name. I tend to drink premium European lagers especially Czech, German and Belgium.

Happy drinking!!!
My favorite beers from my UK & IOM travels last year were the cask ales, a style not prevalent in the US... I did find a brewery in Oregon though, that has 8 or 9 different cask ales that they brew. They don't do pressurized beers, only cask...
Happy drinking!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles