E-MTB backcountry camping

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Do any of you use your E-MTBs for backcountry camping?

IF I ever can take delivery on my E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown 2 wheel drive, 2 battery dual suspension hunting bike I will also use it for backcountry bike camping. It was to be delivered late Dec. 2022, then mid Jan. 2023, now mid Feb.

Anyway, as a backpacker into Ultra Light gear I already have all I need for this endeavor. I can backpack for 5 days with a 22 pound pack minus 2 liters of water, With this new bike I can go about 30 round trip miles cross country in fairly rugged terrain with moderate pedaling to help the batteries. I could take along the Off Grid TREK foldable solar "blanket" I'm getting soon and charge the batteries a bit while exploring on foot from a base camp. (Conveniantly the bike has a patented single charge point for the 2 batteries).

But here in the mountain west, mostly Nevada, I will likely be on old mining and logging roads most of the time so I can get in about 45 miles round trip which should be much more than enough for most trips.

If you've done E-MTB bike camping I would like to hear about your trips and see some photos.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
@Litehiker that thing is a beast!
At around 100lbs weight you will have to change your forum name…
It will be great to hear how you get on, I’m sure you will have some epic adventures.
I would suggest “With this new bike I can go about 30 round trip miles cross country in fairly rugged terrain with moderate pedaling to help the batteries.” It will be more like moderate throttle to help the legs to get decent mileage. Especially with any sort of elevation gain, that plus weight just kills the battery.
It is a shame it doesn’t have a larger cog than a 36, on gradual terrain this gearing with a hub motor is fine but on the steep, mildly technical stuff, you will be forced into throttle only which will eat the battery.
My 9 year old has a hub drive mtb, when we are in the hills she can double her range by just peddling on medium assist vs using throttle. Which makes a huge difference on a 20 mile adventure, now I disconnect her throttle if I have a bigger ride planned…
Keep us updated, I’m jealous of your riding location, it will be amazing!

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Hardtail,
As a former stage racer in the 80s I have done my share of pedaling. When my buddies and I could maintain a 20+ mph. average in a century ride we knew we were in "racing shape" but e-bikes are totally new to me. "Supposably" (as Joey in Friends used to say) I will get more miles using both batteries at the same time but only while in one wheel drive when it's possible. It's all a matter of a learning curve for me.
It is a VERY powerful bike in 2 wheel drive according to my buddy who got his last year.

Any time you want to visit "Sin City" ('Vegas) let me know. We have a full guest bathroom and bedroom with separate entrance so you can stay here for a week. It's just me and my wife and we're both retired. You can park your rental car in front of our house. E-MTB rentals are available here. We live in Henderson, southern suburb of Las Vegas and have many miles of professionally built trails in the nearby mountains (and several tens of miles of "outlaw" bike trails too).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles