Other E-caliber on closeout

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I'm tempted by the trek e-caliber on closeout.
Anyone know if the fazua motor/battery are specific to trek?
Suppose I bought another fazua bike in future could I just swap the motor/battery combo between bikes? Thanks

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Perhaps get one from a shop you are on good terms with, in case it is problematic. Local shop owner had one for a personal bike, went through several drives in short order, and he doesn't ride very much.

Cheers.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
Perhaps get one from a shop you are on good terms with, in case it is problematic. Local shop owner had one for a personal bike, went through several drives in short order, and he doesn't ride very much.

Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback - I'm tempted by the big discount but it looks like that first generation Fazua fails on too many levels.
My plan was to buy another fazua bike and to be able to have at least one motor/battery working between the two at any given time but it looks like the likelihood of recipe for having NONE of them working!
And no I don't know the local Trek dealer personally, but he would surely learn to hate me if I buy the damn bike and call him every week with a new gremlin...
Thanks!

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
The only mid power e bike I would consider is the Transition Repeater . As for the failures, I am 90% sure its rider caused. My e bike riding group has a rider with a Trek Fuel E( what ever the heck it’s called) that is on his 3rd motor. He lugs it up every climb, you could cook an egg on his bb after every hill. We keep telling him to spin but he knows best🙄

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
The only mid power e bike I would consider is the Transition Repeater . As for the failures, I am 90% sure its rider caused. My e bike riding group has a rider with a Trek Fuel E( what ever the heck it’s called) that is on his 3rd motor. He lugs it up every climb, you could cook an egg on his bb after every hill. We keep telling him to spin but he knows best🙄
I would avoid the E caliber given the failures I referenced. The shop owner is no newb, has no issues with his Rails, and he's a lot easier on his equipment than I am :). Really like the drive design of the Fazua, but reliability is a key concern.

Cheers.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I would avoid the E caliber given the failures I referenced. The shop owner is no newb, has no issues with his Rails, and he's a lot easier on his equipment than I am :). Really like the drive design of the Fazua, but reliability is a key concern.

Cheers.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I went to trek shop to see the e-caliber in person and it looks gorgeous at the closeout price. The manager cringed when I asked about reliability especially since I'm 210 lbs and obviously unathletic. Reliability aside, I would buy it for sure since want cheap light bike for short lunchtime rides. However, was gently directed towards Rail. They had fuel exe which looks very stealthy and sexy but well above my 5k limit. Thanks!

TOLM

Mar 20, 2022
Vsmcouver. BC
I went to trek shop to see the e-caliber in person and it looks gorgeous at the closeout price. The manager cringed when I asked about reliability especially since I'm 210 lbs and obviously unathletic. Reliability aside, I would buy it for sure since want cheap light bike for short lunchtime rides. However, was gently directed towards Rail. They had fuel exe which looks very stealthy and sexy but well above my 5k limit. Thanks!

I would totally buy it given current good discounts. Assuming this 2 inches of rear travel are enough for you. It is trek warranty, I would let them deal with future issues if any

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I would totally buy it given current good discounts. Assuming this 2 inches of rear travel are enough for you. It is trek warranty, I would let them deal with future issues if any
I'm now on cube/bosch hardtail with thudbuster so it seems like the short rear travel is just enough for what I'm used to plus I'd be able to use dropper.
I'm probably going to go ahead with a rail or wild which are obviously at opposite end of spectrum in most ways from caliber but I may as well try out to see if I like a full suspension bike with dropper.
If for whatever reason I hate it, it should be easy enough to sell it in my area.
There are just so many Fazua fault related threads all over the interwebs and given that in the new fazua 60 system they changed up virtually everything, it seems that the 50 may be a lemon with rapidly diminishing support.
If they had a huge backlog of parts, I would go ahead and buy and given the warranty but the chance of the bike becoming a white elephant are just too high given my limited budget.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
Sincerely doubt that you won't like a Rail or Wild coming from a hardtail. Good luck with whichever one you choose!

Cheers.
Thanks for all the advice:
Got brand new 2022 Orbea Wild H30 for $3.4k on closeout. There was almost new 2022 Rail 7 for same price without tax on craigslist but no warranty and I wanted to make relationship with local shop. The 625 battery on the Rail would not be compatible with the existing cube and I wanted to have backup if battery failed for some reason. I can't stand being stranded bikeless and waiting for replacements.
Yeah, heaving dropper and proper full suspension for first time is pretty eye opening. Having blast.
If I had more expendable dough NOW, I would have gotten the e-caliber as experiment, but figure light/low power bikes will be way advanced when I get another bike in a year or so. That Fazua 50 really seems troubled.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles