E-bike flood?

fallingoff

Oct 2, 2020
R0yal Winds0r
I buy and sell bikes (nothing special just cheapies) and I am in the market for an E-bike for myself,therfore I scan classifieds on a regular basis.What I have noticed in the last week is a massive "flood" of used E-bikes in the market and I mean a lot in comparisson to recent weeks.Am I missing something or is it just the "season" for selling used E-bikes,Thanks.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
A lot of e-bikes were sold during lockdown as people wanted to get out and exercise, so much so that you just couldn't get one as they were sold out everywhere. I'm sure that most of these are still being used, but also a lot of them are serving as clothes rails or just taking up space in the garage, and these are very expensive purchases, so with Christmas coming up, people are looking to get a little extra money and they are selling their e-bikes.

NotAveJoe

Nov 19, 2019
Wyoming
The above, and a lot of folk are very fickle and must have the latest "must have"
Their 2020 model is now utterly obsolete, replaced by the new wiz-bang 2021 model with improved handlebar grip compound.
It will transform their ride, so the obsolete 2020 model must go... even though it probably only did a few miles anyway.

You can see it in spades on these pages.

Keeps the wheels of commerce turning. ;)

What?! My 2020 hasn't even arrived yet. Dammit.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I saw someone listing a 2020 Trek Powerfly 7 and their reason was simply that they weren't into like they thought they would be.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I wonder if a lot of them are stolen? Bike theft has been rife in Australia. What happens to stolen bikes? There must be money in it at some point.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
I wonder if a lot of them are stolen? Bike theft has been rife in Australia. What happens to stolen bikes? There must be money in it at some point.

I think they change hands at ridiculous low prices, that way they sell FAST and less risk for the thief to get noticed advertising them.

Also I wonder how used traders like Alchemy Cycle Traders do a check on used bikes they sell on consignment before accepting them?

I read somewhere that that stolen bike vault group have recovered $$$$$ worth of bikes since they've been in existance - coool eh!

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
@urastus dude you'd never get to ride here* if you only rode in the dry (warm).

E-bikes, for making winter bearable!

* excluding this years (abnormal) long hot summer

fallingoff

Oct 2, 2020
R0yal Winds0r
Also, Winter is coming and it's so rubbish riding in the UK. A lot of people sell going into winter as it wont get ridden..
Yes I have suddenly started getting more bikes available,in the summer everyone was buying due to the lockdown.Now it's got colder ,darker and weter they've seen the other side and got back in their cars..

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
where do you trawl ads? eBay seems hit and miss unless I'm very specific. I also found prices were quite strong a few months back.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
People spending their money on ebikes instead of holidays while we were locked down and many of those may have lost their jobs towards the end of furlough stopping end of October (UK)?

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Quote from an insurance company - thefts go up when the clocks change - scumbags shopping for Christmas! Protective measures activated......

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I reckon there's a fair few people;e trading up at the moment, to a newer ebike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles