E bike chains worth it ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all do we think e bike chains are really any stronger than normal chains and do u think we with motor and our legs generate more power than pros as they don't use anything special?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Yeah they are about 120% stronger than normal chains. If you ride a ebike, it is in your best interest to run a ebike chain. Oh and a ebike saddle, ebike brake pads, ebike tyres, ebike lube, and ebike forks.
Really any quality solid pin chain is fine.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think coatings like the KMC ept are worthwhile especially if you are not the sort that lubes the chain regularly. I am currently running a hollow pin chain which I ordered by mistake but got at a good price. Retail price for it was more than the e bike chain. It is very light and seems to attract less muck than a solid pin chain. Gear change is silky smooth. How long it will last I have yet to see but it has done 100 miles so far. I am curious to see whether the lighter links and pins actually help to reduce wear on the cassette and chain wheel. I see no reason why there should be any more stretch/wear than a solid pin/link chain.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ps.....at c £8 per bottle of lube I reckon I spend more money on lube than I do on chains!

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
That's what I think I've got 1x10 which to me is perfect why u need 12 cogs on an e bike is silly 10sp chain is bigger and stronger but u can buy a deore chain for £11.99 or e bike one for about £30 ill go deore ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles