Duhh!!!??????

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Yes imagine the tricks you could pull there! Not sure what tyre pressures you would run though.
Doing some quick maths l think you'd need to be about 15psi less than on Earth.

One day someone will probably try it. We had a shot of golf there back in the 1970's when one of the astronauts took a ball and made up a golf club

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good point, I’ll give it a go on my next interstellar ride and find out!
Just a tip - TAKE SNACKS !!!! ..

Mars is 280,000,000 km's away (Current Distance - only 54.6 million if you time your departure correctly) ... walk mode is sometimes capped at 5km/h, so whilst there's no air resistance, once you're free of most gravitational forces, you shouldn't have any battery problems (other than the incredible cold) ..

However, you're looking at a rough strava ride of 56,000,000 hours (Saddle Choice and a long lasting deodorant are VITAL here).

That's 2,333,333 days .. and about 8 hours (don't want anyone worried if you're late).

Whilst some of you big ride people might not think that sounds like much, it still rounds upto 6,400 years.

On a round trip (There and Back, probably being Earth's first ever interstellar cyclist to take a pee stop on Mars) , that's almost 13,000 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to be there for the after ride Pic of the Day upload if @The Hodge decides to make the trip.

Based on previous uploads, that would be approximately 474,500,000 photo's. Delivered in his new "sandwich" format of alternating landscape and portrait images.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just a tip - TAKE SNACKS !!!! ..

Mars is 280,000,000 km's away (Current Distance - only 54.6 million if you time your departure correctly) ... walk mode is sometimes capped at 5km/h, so whilst there's no air resistance, once you're free of most gravitational forces, you shouldn't have any battery problems (other than the incredible cold) ..

However, you're looking at a rough strava ride of 56,000,000 hours (Saddle Choice and a long lasting deodorant are VITAL here).

That's 2,333,333 days .. and about 8 hours (don't want anyone worried if you're late).

Whilst some of you big ride people might not think that sounds like much, it still rounds upto 6,400 years.

On a round trip (There and Back, probably being Earth's first ever interstellar cyclist to take a pee stop on Mars) , that's almost 13,000 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to be there for the after ride Pic of the Day upload if @The Hodge decides to make the trip.

Based on previous uploads, that would be approximately 474,500,000 photo's. Delivered in his new "sandwich" format of alternating landscape and portrait images.

But with the new Bosch Gen 5 nuclear powered radioisotope thermoelectric generator I predict the journey will only take me a couple of hours in NMTB mode and I’ll easily make it home in time to open the popcorn ready for the latest episode of ‘The Hodge’

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It makes the same sound as that of one hand clapping.
Or maybe "Jazz hands".

So definitely it makes a noise. But what if there was a person to see it fall, but they were profoundly deaf?

Or maybe you leave a tape recorder nearby and play it back later?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
You wouldn't hear it on the moon, as
there's no atmosphere
Long ago I used to participate in explorer scout competitions at JPL to propose different kinds of space settlements. I remember one year, one of the hosts showed us a wild study about mountain biking on the moon. The upshot was that between the low gravity and lack of atmospheric drag, the hypothetical top speeds you could get to were completely insane* ... to the extent that if you could do it without killing yourself, as a matter of pure speed you didn't really need any other kind of surface transportation. I think it was reasonably applicable to Mars as well since the atmosphere is so thin.

In hindsight they must have imagined that the moondust was at least compacted like a fire road or fused into some kind of quasi-asphalt, but regardless, the conclusions were pretty amazing.

* if memory serves, 100+ mph!

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Are orange coloured bikes faster than everything else?

20201023_135729.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles