Drivetrain question

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Hope it goes well. Would be interested to know how you get on.

huge improvement today, still the occasional jump from 1st to 2nd and some graunchy shifting between those two but overall its a massive improvement.. im hoping the new chain will make the rest of the difference, if not ill keep fettling

D

Deleted member 7291

huge improvement today, still the occasional jump from 1st to 2nd and some graunchy shifting between those two but overall its a massive improvement.. im hoping the new chain will make the rest of the difference, if not ill keep fettling
That’s great Dobby. Are you not able to adjust that out with fine tuning the barrel at the shifters? When I made reference to the dark art of the rear mech, I was thinking about the amount of time I spent (with the last bike...1x12) adjusting the barrel one way or the other, and back the other way in different gears until it just worked. None of it made sense to me but I got there in the end. Sounds like your close.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
That’s great Dobby. Are you not able to adjust that out with fine tuning the barrel at the shifters? When I made reference to the dark art of the rear mech, I was thinking about the amount of time I spent (with the last bike...1x12) adjusting the barrel one way or the other, and back the other way in different gears until it just worked. None of it made sense to me but I got there in the end. Sounds like your close.

yea mate, I reckon ill get there. Im really looking at some problem with the mech or cable as it was perfect when I started and them played me up after a few miles.

D

Deleted member 7291

yea mate, I reckon ill get there. Im really looking at some problem with the mech or cable as it was perfect when I started and them played me up after a few miles.
Quick questions....did you sort out the grinding coming from the drivetrain after you cleaned the jockey wheels?......and do you have a chain gauge checker?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Quick questions....did you sort out the grinding coming from the drivetrain after you cleaned the jockey wheels?......and do you have a chain gauge checker?

the jockey wheels are fine now, the 'grinding' really is the pickup of the chain on the sprockets, its like the chain isnt the same gauge.. at 6-7 weeks old I would hope that it hasnt any wear but I can pull it away from the rear sprocket enough to see the gulley of the sprocket teeth. I have a vernier caliper so I will check the chain with that

D

Deleted member 7291

the jockey wheels are fine now, the 'grinding' really is the pickup of the chain on the sprockets, its like the chain isnt the same gauge.. at 6-7 weeks old I would hope that it hasnt any wear but I can pull it away from the rear sprocket enough to see the gulley of the sprocket teeth. I have a vernier caliper so I will check the chain with that
Good idea. You don’t want to replace parts unnecessarily on a hunch. These bikes are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain!... At least you have Chris from Berkshire as a backstop. He seems like a good guy from Rob Hancill’s clips. If you can be bothered, are you able to post a photo of your derailleur (side on). If not I’ll wish you good luck and bow out.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
UPDATE:

fitted the new chain, indexed the gears and rode it around the garden, there is a big improvement in shifting in the upper part of the cassette and the horrible feel of chain pickup is gone.. beats me why SRAM chain wasnt fitted as OEM.. hopefully ill get it out on the trail tomorrow and then ill know for sure how it performs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles