Downtube protector

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Is anyone running any sort of protection on their downtubes? I've seen a few smashed motor cases on other e bikes and quite a few of Specialized's (replaceable) downtube/bb section being replaced. the Orbea doesn't seem to have much there (though I'm still waiting to see my bike in the flesh).

I'd been thinking about zip-tie ing a lump of old tyre, but this looks a lot more professional: frameguard and they're claiming its a really good fit on the Rise

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A piece of old tyre will work just fine. If you cut off the beads with a pair of scissors, the tyre section becomes very easy to work with. The tyre wall between the bead and the tread was surprisingly easy to cut with scissors when I last did this. Not sure how I'd get on if the tyre wall had a slash guard incorporated.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I got one of these a few weeks ago. I ride in super rocky terrain and have rocks flipping up and hitting the frame all the time. I've used helicopter tape on many areas of the frame, but the downtube is a big concern for how much abuse it takes. i had some extra thick clear marine vinyl zip tied to the frame prior to this, but this looks way better. It fits very well. Some small gaps along the side, but overall I'm very happy with it. Sorry, but I couldn't imagine zip tying a lump of old tire to the beautiful frame.
orbea downtube Frameguard.jpg

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
I got one of these a few weeks ago. I ride in super rocky terrain and have rocks flipping up and hitting the frame all the time. I've used helicopter tape on many areas of the frame, but the downtube is a big concern for how much abuse it takes. i had some extra thick clear marine vinyl zip tied to the frame prior to this, but this looks way better. It fits very well. Some small gaps along the side, but overall I'm very happy with it. Sorry, but I couldn't imagine zip tying a lump of old tire to the beautiful frame.

I think I would prefer if it didn't cover any of the ORBEA logo though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles