Downduro Rig has been born (Page 4) ⚡️

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
@Christurbo Great thread (y)how's the coil v air battle?
It’s certainly taken some tweaking (which I suppose is the beauty of air).

I’m loving the setup. I’m much faster than with any of my other ones. That’s in the winter too. Looking forward to setting more PBs in the spring / summer months. Along with entering a few Enduros.

I may get the fork’s damping dialled out a bit though on its next service. It’s harsh - Öhlins state that the 36’s are dialled up high on damping for Enduro racing from factory. Which is great when you are 10/10ths committed in a race but a bit much for daily use. I’ve managed this by dialling out all low speed compression and increasing the rebound to max.

Progression is brilliant though with the ramp up chamber, the Kenevo is such a poppy and playful thing now and loves to jump which is what I love. Which is why I’m normally sporting some new scars!

IMG_9597_VSCO.jpeg

FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg

Last edited:

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
It’s certainly taken some tweaking (which I suppose is the beauty of air).

I’m loving the setup. I’m much faster than with any of my other ones. That’s in the winter too. Looking forward to setting more PBs in the spring / summer months. Along with entering a few Enduros.

I may get the fork’s damping dialled out a bit though on its next service. It’s harsh - Öhlins state that the 36’s are dialled up high on damping for Enduro racing from factory. Which is great when you are 10/10ths committed in a race but a bit much for daily use. I’ve managed this by dialling out all low speed compression and increasing the rebound to max.

Progression is brilliant though with the ramp up chamber, the Kenevo is such a poppy and playful thing now and loves to jump which is what I love. Which is why I’m normally sporting some new scars!

View attachment 134984
View attachment 134986 View attachment 134987

Always love the quality of these photos!

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Nice ride out today at Llandegla ….

I’ve been running higher air pressure in the tyres since I took the Cushcore out to try and prevent any rim dings. I haven’t had any so dropped the front to 18 rear to 24/5.

What a difference to small bump sensitivity! Almost feels plush….. also grip increased even in muddy Wales which resulted in some good times. No dings too.

Had a nice chat to a fellow member at the cafe who had a new Kenevo.

IMG_9821.jpeg
FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_9815_VSCO.jpeg

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Update

I noticed I’ve been having to adjust Microshift more these days. On inspection it looks like the GX AXS mech is goosed. Within only c 800 ish miles.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Update….

After three long weeks on the MTB, SRAM stood by their product and replaced the AXS mech. It will be the first ride out tomorrow.

Here is pinkie…. She’s been great whilst I’ve been waiting for the replacement. Llandegla is a hilly course, that’s made for EMTB with lots of DH sections. But you need to earn them with no uplift. Especially on an MTB. But the Spesh Enduro on Öhlins just shreds on DH! I converted to 180mm travel and mullet.

View attachment 136821 View attachment 136822 View attachment 136823 View attachment 136824
IMG_0197_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0197_VSCO.jpeg

Whilst the Kenevo was getting its new mech I decided to bleed the brakes as the rear was overdue and spongy.

The fluid was black! Must have cooked them on the Enduro race. I also freed up, cleaned and lubed each piston as some were sticking. They are now all perfect.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

IMAGES REMOVED

Last edited:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Update….

After three long weeks on the MTB, SRAM stood by their product and replaced the AXS mech. It will be the first ride out tomorrow.

Here is pinkie…. She’s been great whilst I’ve been waiting for the replacement. Llandegla is a hilly course, that’s made for EMTB with lots of DH sections. But you need to earn them with no uplift. Especially on an MTB. But the Spesh Enduro on Öhlins just shreds on DH! I converted to 180mm travel and mullet.

View attachment 136821 View attachment 136822 View attachment 136823 View attachment 136824 View attachment 136825 View attachment 136826

Whilst the Kenevo was getting its new mech I decided to bleed the brakes as the rear was overdue and spongy.

The fluid was black! Must have cooked them on the Enduro race. I also freed up, cleaned and lubed each piston as some were sticking. They are now all perfect.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

View attachment 136827 View attachment 136828 View attachment 136829 View attachment 136830

I had to look twice to check that wasn’t an OG Kenevo

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Update:-

The Kenevo with new mech is awesome. It must have been a problem for a while because it’s so direct now. I even managed to get a KOM at Llandegla.

Anyway. This is my newest issue to overcome. The SRAM Reverb AXS post won’t fully extend. I tried the bleed (there is no squish) but still the same. So it will need the full 400hr service to remove air in the wrong part of the IFP.

Wait times for servicing is quite protracted so I will be doing myself.

Ready to rip

FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Great story. Thanks for publishing.
Mainly jealous of the man cave! Although I have to say that any man cave sofa should really have stuffing pouring out of it. And I really want to see the Audi with a bike rack.
Terrific and interesting build with excellent details.
Hope you love it.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Update.

So I managed to get a spare couple of hours today and decided to fix the faulty AXS Reverb Dropper. As said above, I’ve lost around 5cms of height as it won’t fully extend. This is most likely because air has been sucked into the wrong side of the IFP valve, something the simple SRAM bleed procedure couldn’t resolve.

The plan was to do a full 600hr service (even though it’s only due a 50hr). The 600hr service requires a full hydraulic bleed so would fix any issues with air / oil being on the wrong side of the IFP.

I did enquire on getting TF Tuned or J-Tech to do it for me but it was a months wait and £120+. So for something I could do in around an hour or so it’s just as easy to get it done myself.

The process was quite enjoyable, much easier than rebuilding an old Spesh Command Dropper (if any of you can remember them!?).

I had all the tools required (which were a lot!) apart from the IFP depth tool and the service parts.

Here is a view of what you need. This is not including the zip ties you need to try and pull the IFP out of the main chamber…

I also didn’t use the Rockshox recommended Maxima dropper fluid as lots of people have had great results from 5wt suspension fluid. So I used exactly that from Fox - PFTE infused also. This will work better in colder months.

FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0374_VSCO.jpeg
FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0378_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0377_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0380_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0381_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0382_VSCO.jpeg
IMG_0384_VSCO.jpeg

Its works perfectly now. Full extension and no squish at all. Hard as a rock.

FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg
FullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg

PS…. If you haven’t already, you absolutely should have this tool in your toolbox. The Knipex …. Replaces all your spanners.
IMG_0404_VSCO.jpeg

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Great story. Thanks for publishing.
Mainly jealous of the man cave! Although I have to say that any man cave sofa should really have stuffing pouring out of it. And I really want to see the Audi with a bike rack.
Terrific and interesting build with excellent details.
Hope you love it.
It’s great to have somewhere to do bits in! Thanks 🙏🏼

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
First day out on the Kenevo after it’s 600hr AXS dropper service.

I’m pleased to say it’s never felt so good. Really quick to return to full extension and seems easier to push down.

Even though it was really wet and muddy at Degla I managed a top 10 on the B Line jump line.

IMG_0442.jpeg

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Update - the weather has been pretty bad here in wales but the Kenevo has performed faultlessly since the new parts and service items.

Didn’t go that hard (in my mind) today but came away with some decent PBs at Llandegla.

IMG_0494.jpeg
IMG_0356.jpeg

Aug 25, 2018
Randa, Switzerland
Update.

So I managed to get a spare couple of hours today and decided to fix the faulty AXS Reverb Dropper. As said above, I’ve lost around 5cms of height as it won’t fully extend. This is most likely because air has been sucked into the wrong side of the IFP valve, something the simple SRAM bleed procedure couldn’t resolve.

The plan was to do a full 600hr service (even though it’s only due a 50hr). The 600hr service requires a full hydraulic bleed so would fix any issues with air / oil being on the wrong side of the IFP.

I did enquire on getting TF Tuned or J-Tech to do it for me but it was a months wait and £120+. So for something I could do in around an hour or so it’s just as easy to get it done myself.

The process was quite enjoyable, much easier than rebuilding an old Spesh Command Dropper (if any of you can remember them!?).

I had all the tools required (which were a lot!) apart from the IFP depth tool and the service parts.

Here is a view of what you need. This is not including the zip ties you need to try and pull the IFP out of the main chamber…

I also didn’t use the Rockshox recommended Maxima dropper fluid as lots of people have had great results from 5wt suspension fluid. So I used exactly that from Fox - PFTE infused also. This will work better in colder months.

View attachment 137184 View attachment 137185 View attachment 137186 View attachment 137187 View attachment 137188 View attachment 137189 View attachment 137190 View attachment 137191 View attachment 137192

Its works perfectly now. Full extension and no squish at all. Hard as a rock.

View attachment 137193 View attachment 137194 View attachment 137195

PS…. If you haven’t already, you absolutely should have this tool in your toolbox. The Knipex …. Replaces all your spanners. View attachment 137196
Hi Chris.
Which mudgard are you using in the back?

StefanBatros

May 24, 2023
Romania
Hi Chris,

I've been following all you posts on the Kenevo Expert and actually you and the Emtb community here were the deciding factor in me ordering one :D

When the bike arrives I will have roughly 2500Euros to invest in parts. What would be in your mind the most impactful upgrades I could get? (PS already got the frame protection, bash guard, mudguards)

Thanks,
Stefan

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Hi Chris,

I've been following all you posts on the Kenevo Expert and actually you and the Emtb community here were the deciding factor in me ordering one :D

When the bike arrives I will have roughly 2500Euros to invest in parts. What would be in your mind the most impactful upgrades I could get? (PS already got the frame protection, bash guard, mudguards)

Thanks,
Stefan
Firstly congratulations I still think it’s the best of its kind out there and have no desire to move on to anything else. Strange for me!

Hmmmm tough one. For me if I’m I had to prioritise bang for buck.

1. Mullet - so a nice 180mm single crown fork and 29” front wheel.
2. Decent rubber - I LOVE the Conti’s. Remember it’s the only thing attaching you to the trail so maybe should be #1 really.
3. Shigura Brake setup (with 220mm rotors)
4. Larger chainring to preserve the life of your cassette
5. AXS drivetrain (game changer)
6. AXS dropper (game changer)
7. Shock - Coil for ploughing air for popping! Standard one is ok so I placed this later in the list.
8. Shorter cranks
9. Better rear wheel/hub - to match the front

Obviously haven’t included pedals, bars, grips, saddle as all things that you may want to buy that are personal to you.

Also thinking about it you may want shorter cranks more than AXS. So bump that up.

StefanBatros

May 24, 2023
Romania
Firstly congratulations I still think it’s the best of its kind out there and have no desire to move on to anything else. Strange for me!

Hmmmm tough one. For me if I’m I had to prioritise bang for buck.

1. Mullet - so a nice 180mm single crown fork and 29” front wheel.
2. Decent rubber - I LOVE the Conti’s. Remember it’s the only thing attaching you to the trail so maybe should be #1 really.
3. Shigura Brake setup (with 220mm rotors)
4. Larger chainring to preserve the life of your cassette
5. AXS drivetrain (game changer)
6. AXS dropper (game changer)
7. Shock - Coil for ploughing air for popping! Standard one is ok so I placed this later in the list.
8. Shorter cranks
9. Better rear wheel/hub - to match the front

Obviously haven’t included pedals, bars, grips, saddle as all things that you may want to buy that are personal to you.

Also thinking about it you may want shorter cranks more than AXS. So bump that up.
Thank for your fast reply!

1. Mullet is on my mind as well, especially as dual crown will be hard to fit in the boot of the car.
2. For now I will be destroying the Butcher tyres, but I allready ordered some XC + tarmac ones for different types of riding.
3. Agree, brakes on this bike look like crap. I have my eye on a pair of second hand Trickstuff maxima's at 900Euro
4. Interesting... What is the reasoning behind this? A larger chainring will apply less torque/ force to the rear casette?
5. The 2023 model comes with AXS drivetrain already installed :D (Turbo Kenevo Expert)
6. AXS dropper (game changer) - agree, altho it's expensive
7. Can you give me some details regarding the Ohlins shock you got. I couldn't find the exact model in your posts/photos
8. The 2023 model comes with 160mm cranks - for now I think it's OK?
9. Agree, were you happy with your Hope hubs?

Regarding bars, I do have a carbon one from an older bike whic I will use in the beginning... I will be getting a Ranthal one soon though.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Thank for your fast reply!

1. Mullet is on my mind as well, especially as dual crown will be hard to fit in the boot of the car.
2. For now I will be destroying the Butcher tyres, but I allready ordered some XC + tarmac ones for different types of riding.
3. Agree, brakes on this bike look like crap. I have my eye on a pair of second hand Trickstuff maxima's at 900Euro
4. Interesting... What is the reasoning behind this? A larger chainring will apply less torque/ force to the rear casette?
5. The 2023 model comes with AXS drivetrain already installed :D (Turbo Kenevo Expert)
6. AXS dropper (game changer) - agree, altho it's expensive
7. Can you give me some details regarding the Ohlins shock you got. I couldn't find the exact model in your posts/photos
8. The 2023 model comes with 160mm cranks - for now I think it's OK?
9. Agree, were you happy with your Hope hubs?

Regarding bars, I do have a carbon one from an older bike whic I will use in the beginning... I will be getting a Ranthal one soon though.
4. You’ll be riding higher up in the cassette which will mean you’ll be engaging more teeth so less wear.

7. It’s the Öhlins TTX Air 2 - 230 x 65. It will give you 10mm of extra rear travel too.

IMG_0807.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles