Doing research on an ebike purchase. I'm from NorCal, thinking Commencal...

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I've tried to get an overview of what's available, with good modern geo. Shimano motor mostly and 3,0" compatible

-Devinci AC and Devinci DC - heavy bikes? devinci.com says 24,5kg (54lbs) for the DC XT..??
-Pivot Shuttle - light and expensive, about U$10k, but priced a few $k cheaper where I live, considering this hard
-Comencal Meta Essential - price is competitive. No integrated battery. At least battery comes of easily, as opposed to the Shuttle. Seems to take 3"
-Merida eOne-Sixty (-Twenty) - nice geo, already had one, trying something different
-Lapierre Overvolt AM 627i - looks interesting, probably won't be imported here. A bit of a hazzle removing the battery?
-BMC Trailfox Amp (Two) - looks very interesting, a strong candidate for me
-Specialized Kenevo - too much travel for me I think

Bikes with narrower tyres and good geo:
Focus Sam2
Orange Alpine 6E
Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay - chainstays a bit on the short side??

Last edited:

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Just fyi, if you check the link to the thread, there is a pic of the Commencal with 3.0 tires. My list was pretty close to yours. Once I started checking, most of the higher end models were not available here in the US. Kept coming back to the Meta, it's not the best looker, but it checked off all the boxes of what I was looking for. I got the Fox Version. I really wanted an ebike with the Bosch motor. I have that on my Haibike and the new wide range EMTB mode is a total game changer. One mode to do it all, no worrying about the mode, just ride. I'm hoping that Shimano will do something similar with a software update in the future.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Yeah, I've seen the Trail Boss-photo , so it's back on the list. I've had a few short trips on a Bosch bike recently and I think the EMTB mode is quite similar to the Trail mode of the Shimano. They're both supposed to adjust the level of support based on rider input, and allowing for max support in this mode. But the Shimano must be tuned using the eTube app to work for me. In the app you see 6 levels over power. Trail can be set to 1, 3 or 4. It's set to 1 by default. I increase Trail to 4 and I find it works at least as well as Bosch EMTB mode. (Boost can be set to 5-7. 7 is default, I use 5 or 6). The shape of the E8000 allows for frames with shorter chain stays and lower BB, plus it's supposed to be lighter than Bosch performance CX.

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
Call Motostrano they are in Redwood City, Ca. They have the Lapierre Overbolt Carbon available for demo.

I just returned it to the shop. Talk to Joe he owns the shop.

Compared to my 2016 Haibike Nduro and my buddies Spesh Levo this is a better bike in IMHO.

Awesome bike!!!

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

Last edited:

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
That frame design

That frame looks awesome! It definitely got a lot of attention when I rode it on the trails around here. Riders were trying to keep up with me and gathers around me when I stopped. If this was my bike, I’ll upgrade it to a RS Vivid Coil ASAP! Plus a southpaw remote for the dropper. Everything else is dialed! It even comes equipped with lights!

IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

Last edited:

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
have you looked at jam2? i tried a bunch and settled on the s-works levo. the kenevo had to much travel for me. I love the levo, i tried the regular levo and did not like it at all. then tried the works and it is a completely different bike. Also i like the prose 1.3 cause blevo app to modify it is incredible. so much you can do with it. barely feels like it is on when pedaling.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
have you looked at jam2? i tried a bunch and settled on the s-works levo. the kenevo had to much travel for me. I love the levo, i tried the regular levo and did not like it at all. then tried the works and it is a completely different bike. Also i like the prose 1.3 cause blevo app to modify it is incredible. so much you can do with it. barely feels like it is on when pedaling.
The S-Works is a fine bike. One of the guys has one that I saw in person. Good Choice
1525494007582.png

Last edited by a moderator:

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
wow might have to change my seat. i like the yellow on that one. mine is all black. only thing i am not found of is the rear shock. might switch out for a online coil. not sure yet. other than that love the bike.
Pinoy, my brother has the bike you just returned to motostrano. we are going to demo ride it today in san jose. Is that last years model? wondering what 2018 has different. i haven't seen it yet

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
wow might have to change my seat. i like the yellow on that one. mine is all black. only thing i am not found of is the rear shock. might switch out for a online coil. not sure yet. other than that love the bike.
Pinoy, my brother has the bike you just returned to motostrano. we are going to demo ride it today in san jose. Is that last years model? wondering what 2018 has different. i haven't seen it yet

That Lapierre is a 2017 model. The new ones come with integrated battery designs. I love this model due to the center of gravity. It was so planted!

Hopefully they’ve bled the rear brakes by the time you guys got it. It was so spongy when I was demo-ing it. Im still very impressed with that rig tho.

GMG454

Apr 11, 2018
NorCal
Did you make a choice yet. Just curious what you decided on.

Not yet. I'm pretty sold on Commencal, simply the "bang for the buck" is hard to deny. Now that they released the Meta Power 29, I find myself soul searching on whether or not the 27.5 or 29 would be the best choice for NorCal trails.

GMG454

Apr 11, 2018
NorCal

Yup, I might demo the Focus in Santa Cruz, in the next week or so. That Levo looks great, I just can't seem to get myself to go back to Specialized. Great bikes, just so mainstream. Kinda want something different.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Not yet. I'm pretty sold on Commencal, simply the "bang for the buck" is hard to deny. Now that they released the Meta Power 29, I find myself soul searching on whether or not the 27.5 or 29 would be the best choice for NorCal trails.
The Meta power is a fine bike, I have had mine since mid march and covered just short of 450 miles, it is is very well specked and great value for money, the overall package is about spot on in terms of build quality, design and geometry. If mine got pinched I would honestly buy the exact same again without any hesitation.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Yes, what Japuserid said. I have just short of 200 miles and the only thing I changed were the tires. It wants for nothing. It's just right. And I like not having a bike that no one else has around here.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’ll secind that really enjoying my meta too , a very capable bike , and probably the first bike I’ve owned that I haven’t felt the need to change anything , the spec is amazing for the price .
Iam almost pleased I didn’t have the choice of the 29er that’s a tough one , less travel vs faster rolling etc , all my normal bikes are 29ers , the meta is my first 650b and like it , I guess it depends on the type of riding your doing , cross country / fast trails then 29er , more techy stuff maybe the smaller wheel helps offset the bulk of the ebike .

Last edited:

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
After going to Sea Otter Classic and seeing the Meta Power in the flesh...it really got stuck in my head!

Just pulled the trigger on a Meta Power for myself, I can’t wait til it gets delivered.

chrisr

Jun 8, 2018
Wales
I'm split between the Merida e160 900e and the Meta Power Race Fox, my only concern is not being able to demo the bike first, has anyone tried both these bikes and how do you feel they compare?

I prefer the spec on the Meta but slightly put off by not being able to demo.

Any reviews of the Meta would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
I'm split between the Merida e160 900e and the Meta Power Race Fox, my only concern is not being able to demo the bike first, has anyone tried both these bikes and how do you feel they compare?

I prefer the spec on the Meta but slightly put off by not being able to demo.

Any reviews of the Meta would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I wanted the Merida as well, but that bike is not available in the U.S. So that narrowed down my options to the Levo and Meta Power.

There are Levos everywhere around California so I opted and took a chance on the Meta. The geometry seemed perfect for my Enduro/DH style of riding. Plus the specs is simply too good! The price is also unbeatable.

So I pulled the trigger, and cautiously chose the lowest end model the Meta Power Origin.

IMG_1362.JPG

The maiden ride was in Santa Cruz’ Mailbox DH and other hidden gems in UCSC. Ive setup the sag @30% for both the fork and shock. I also have 2 tokens installed for both. The Shimano Steps was set to Explore mode as well.

This bike was simply amazing! Climbing steep and technical trails was a treat. Just pick your line (ANY LINE), and up it goes! You could even rail berms on a climb! The bike is very low, so chunky trails can be a pedal strike issue. Just time your cadence and the bike will take you up any hill/boulders/obstacles. The power delivery of the Steps motor is very natural as well. Not too much torque like the Brose or Bosch motors. It is very similar to the way the Yamaha motor feels. But it is a little loud, I don’t mind it at all.

The downhill is where the Meta Power truly shines. It is very fast, very stable and very predictable. Both on the ground and in the air. Simply point it to where you want to rip, and there it goes! You could even go thru the roughest lines thru a rock garden and it’ll simply plow thru any chunk!

The groupset is a Shimano M6000 (brakes/drivetrain) It is the lower end, BUT! It is also very reliable and built strong. A little heavy but its on an Ebike! So who cares!

IMG_1372.JPG

This is me and my SWEET Meta Power in Downieville. I’ve been there many times...But this is the fastest Ive ever done the Classic DH, with an ear-ear grin! Heck I was smiling so much my jaw was sore...This bike RIPS! Go for it!

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Although the meta is my first ebike I’ve ridden a number of the top enduro bikes , the meta sits up,there among the best handling bikes , it doesn’t feel any different from a really good enduro bike once it’s rolling , the geometry is almost identical to the winning meta 4.2 enduro bike , you’ve obviously chosen the motor you like and as you say you’ll pay a lot more for a lot less with the Merida

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles