Do you ride clipped in pedals on your Emtb?

If so. Why?

• It's just what I'm used to riding so didn't even consider flat pedals

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • I'm not as confident riding while using flat pedals

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • I feel the pedaling performance/efficiency is better when clipped in.

Votes: 31 22.6%
  • Riding clipped in helps me maneuver the bike more easily/more precisely.

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • I just like answering polls but actually use flat pedals.

Votes: 68 49.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.3%

• Total voters

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This isn't meant to be a flats vs clips discussion (they're both absolutely fine) I'm just Interested to know who rides which pedals and why.
Me. I can ride SPDs fine (always do on my roadbike and occasionally on a winter hardtail) but prefer not to unless I'm on a fixed (for pedalling) height seatpost. I've just always found flat pedals to be more fun and they allow me to ride looser more stylishly and get away with being sketchier on them.
Just wondering other riders thoughts as E-bikes are a bit different.

Leave a comment if you chose "other"

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Rode flats for a few rides to see if I would like it, right back to spds.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Clips all the way for me, The thought of shredding my shins fills me with fear and dread. ;)

mtbnorth

Apr 30, 2018
MI
Use Deity TMAC's, best pedals I've ever had. Superior to other flat pedals due to the concavity and design. Initially used XTR Trails but didn't like them compared to the TMAC's

Seric

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
Use CB Mallet, and before that I used Shimano XT. The mallets are great, ones I got the shoes that fit to them. Had a pair of fiveten spd shoes that got "stuck" in the pedals and was PITA to get loose from. Using Mavic Crossmax shoes now, and it works great.

Been having a few rides now with flats as it is still some snow in the forest here. Clips tends to get cloged with dirt and snow, so wintertime I do prefere flats.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Always Clipped in until I tried to ride the first section of the uk gravity series at the weekend , I think skis and an spd seat may have been more suitable , or rocket boots to get me out of there

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Clips but only because I don't want to worry about losing the pedals when I go into the choppy gnar. Not needed to gain a pedaling advantage thats for sure. I don't lay into the pedals that hard with the assist.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Always Clipped in until I tried to ride the first section of the uk gravity series at the weekend , I think skis and an spd seat may have been more suitable , or rocket boots to get me out of there
That's my local. I'll be down that way tomorrow afternoon. You still around?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That's my local. I'll be down that way tomorrow afternoon. You still around?
No back home today , completely knackered from a weeks riding and 2 days marshalling on the steep stages , lovely place Innerleithen

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Used SPDs for many years on various bike incarnations and can definitely see the benefits.
I just prefer flats now when it's techy and steep. Probably a safety blanket thing as ive had some butt clenching moments not unclipping in time.
Ive just continued that logic on Emtb.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Have tried both, prefer flats now feels like I have more control over technical stuff. Also I fall off a fair bit. I prefer being able to be catapulted from the bike without having to think about releasing my clips ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
flats now feels like I have more control over technical stuff
You don't. but I know what you mean. When I ride clipped in I ride as if I'm on flats. The only difference is my foot can't slide over the pedal. On technical descents this tires my feet. You definitely have to be far more precise riding clipped in though. Which for me kills the fun factor.

sorry. I wasn't going to get into a discussion about clips V flats. My bad.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I used to ride SPDs for a long time but in the last five years, I'm riding flats on all my MTBs (Nukeproof Horizon on my ebike) with FiveTen shoes. My technique improved a lot with them and they are just more convenient for me. I see even less reason to ride SPDs on an ebike.
If Sam Hill could win EWS on flats then they are good enough for me too... :)

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I have Deity TMAC's on my Turbo Levo . . . my previous mountain bikes I always ran SPD's (they were all hardtails or full rigid).

However, after having a few years off MTB and in the interim doing a heap of dirt biking . . . I feel much more comfortable on technical rocky stuff and just generally at speed, without clip ins. I like to throw a leg out to weight the front wheel and help on cornering on the dirt bike, and I find myself doing the same a lot on the Levo . . . which I just couldn't do when I'm clipped in.

A lot of the local riding here is just trails we are making through the wilderness . . . no berms etc, lots of sharper flat corners, and being able to get a leg out really helps control on these.

EDIT : I would add, my shins and lower legs look pretty cut up :( I didn't have that problem with SPD's . . .

Darb1972

Apr 29, 2018
Boston
Never never never will i put spds shoes on my feet.
Once carried out the classic manoeuvre of keeling over to my right,into oncoming traffic because it wouldnt release from pedal.
Put my hand on wing of a transit as it skidded to a stop.
Massive amount of unannounced anal leakage ensued.
Nope, not for me.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There is no downside to using flats, especially on an ebike.

If you come from a BMX background that may be true, but some of us prefer to keep our skin on our shins (and I’m not very good at that, even with SPDs...)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Keeping your feet on a flat pedal is just a skill. like any skill in life some are naturally more talented than others. but even then practice makes perfect.

it's funny how almost every mtber who makes an analogy towards BMX has clearly ridden very very little BMX

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Wasn’t that my point?

I’ve never ridden BMX. I can’t bunny hop without SPDs and I hate jumping without them. I don’t possess nearly enough arsed to learn how to ride flats now and I’m very happy with my SPDs.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
It's no harder to learn to ride on flats than it is for people to learn to ride clipless. With sticky shoes and decent pedals, you won't bounce out and rake your shins, I never have and I've never been on a bmx bike :p

I won't be going back, it's safer and way more fun.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. it has absolutely nothing to do with what biking background you have. We all started on flat pedals. for me that's 46 years ago and BMX wasn't invented yet. I don't ever use sticky soled shoes and haven't slipped a pedal once in well over a decade.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
But I’ve already learned how to ride SPDs...

I think we will just have to agree to disagree and before anyone else mentions good enough for Sam Hill, if any of us were that good we wouldn’t be mentioning him in the first place.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Strictly speaking pulling up on SPD pedals isn't really a bunny hop at all.
It's absolutely fine not wanting to learn. But if you did it would actually improve your riding technique in SPDs too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think we will just have to agree to disagree
Disagree about what? As I said in the first post of this thread. It isn't meant to be a clips Vs flats discussion. I just find it interesting to know riders reasons for their choice.
Maybe you missed it but I ride both SPDs and flats and have even been known to clip in on my BMX. Both style of pedals have their merits, foybles, advantages and disadvantages.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles