Do you commute ?

Nick Pousson

Sep 27, 2019
Auckland
So I’ve made the decision to get an emtb but was wondering how many of you also use your bike to commute. Kill two birds with one stone sort of thing...Now to decide which best bang for buck bike to get ... suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Yes but on a cheap & cheerful halfords ebike that is 3years old with 4k miles on the clock. I dont fancy wearing out the expensive tyres & transmission on my emtb riding to work.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes.

Bought a hardtail Emtb for exactly that purpose. But the motor broke in 700 miles (6 and a bit weeks of commuting) so I sent it back for a refund.
Using my E-sommet to commute on now. Commute is either a 10 mile road commute (most of it through the city) each way or if riding from home it's 20miles each way with the first 11 miles off road.
All you really need is fast rolling tyres to commute on an FS Emtb. but slicks and mudguards will make it even more pleasant to commute every day on.
I have a spare wheelset for mine (complete with rotors/cassette) I'm just about to fit some large volume sick tyres to (Schwalbe Big Ben and MotoX) and will swap to at the beginning of the week and swap back to off road tyres for any mtb riding.

The bike you choose needs to be fairly appropriate for what your commute is. Terrain, distance, hills etc. But if you're going to actually mountain bike on it as well it's far more important to choose something appropriate for that rather than the commute.

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
My plan is to commute eventually (when fit enough, 17 miles each way) I chose the Turbo Levo so I could grow into it for mountain biking (which I have never done) but I know at some point I'll be better off getting a new wheelset for my commute (all road) just I have no idea what I would need to buy, or how much it would be :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
at some point I'll be better off getting a new wheelset for my commute (all road) just I have no idea what I would need to buy, or how much it would be :)
as cheap as a new set of tyres @ £20 each and swapping them over before.
or as crazy expensive as a set of carbon rims on high end hubs with your choice of cassette/rotors and super lightweight fast rolling road specific tyres.
middle ground would be a half decent pre-built wheelset with sealed bearing hubs and decent rims/spokes for around £200 then budget around £20-80 for tyres, £30-80 cassette and £30-60 for the rotors depending on size/fitting

for a commute of almost 20miles each way you might want to buy a spare charger to leave at work. Depending on hilliness/assistance modes used.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles