Do I need a 2nd Ebike

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I bought the one I have to A play on. B. I like riding nice bikes. C making up for failing health.
So although its a mountainbike- Full sus 29er 160/150mm(Scott Genius 920 Eride), its got an add on rack and panniers.
Sure, I could have bought something shopper/commuter specific, but wheres the fun in that. And TBH the shopper/commuter type is limited to shopper/commuter duties and isn't as versatile as i think a bike should be.

Problem is its just to damned expensive to go pottering into the city center where I'd be leaving it for anywhere up to an hour. It's a busy place, and Glasgow city center isnt the wild west, and yes bikes do get nicked, but Ive a serious lock on it so only a grinder would get through and ive yet to hear of that ever happening in the middle of Glasgow Argyle or Sauchiehall st on an average middle of the day scenario.
I can't even leave it outside a local shop, not 30' away without feeling pangs of worry, so leaving it to go wandering around a big department store hunting down a new telly i'd be beside myself with worry.
Its currently not insured, and on that front im just being lazy, and it would likely take a fair bit of the leaving it worry away.

So should I get another one. Something not as expensive, which i can happier leave for an hour or 2.
The downside I feel there is the number of forum reports(on other ebike forums) about the longevity and myriad of problems these cheaper Ebikes seem to suffer from. So I dont want to spend a thou+ on something thats going to be very unreliable. but this might be the only option.

OK, maybe I made the wrong choice, but ive spent the last 25 years riding 26" hardtails, and just wanted to ride a full sus 29er.

So any recommendations ? or should I stick with what I have, get insured and buy another £150 type priced lock and leave it to the gods of luck and chance all will be ok.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I know the dilemma, bike theft in NZ is at chronic levels. In my city alone (circa 500,000 population) there are around 30-50 bikes stolen per week. I wouldn't leave anything worth more than 250 pounds ($500 NZD) out of my sight.

When my rail arrives It'll only be outside the house for rides and will never see a lock unless its in the garage.

In answer to the question definitely get a commuter

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Bike theft is not really anything new and have seen all sorts of security measures foiled. I always by the philosophy of not letting my bike outr of my sight when it is not in my garage.
The only exception is when I take a shower after a ride at a certain bike park. The bike is locked on my rack, which is locked to the car and also has a wire rope and lock through both wheels and to the chassis of my car.
1649286708061.png

1649286726943.png

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I always go by the philosophy of not letting my bike out of my sight
Its been pretty much mine too, and for the past couple of decades if i went into a shop, the bike came too, my rational being if they didnt want it there then they were fucked if they were getting any of my money. This big Ebike is just too big to wheel in anywhere, but thus far most of the places i use it for if not riding around for leisure or fitness its literally within view.

I'l look again at the cheap end of things, maybe a trip to helfrauds see whats there, though im in no doubt if i buy a cheapie its going to be more problems. But maybe thats just something ill have to accept and just make sure i get from a company where i can return it when things inevitably go wrong.
Im not interested in conversions, as said too lazy :LOL:

Get a commuter.
definitely get a commuter
Yeah, seems the right move. And nothing wrong with multiple bikes. Now just to pick something so hideous even the thieves will turn their noses up at it.
Maybe something like this....prepare yourselves :LOL: ....
Assist Hybrid Electric Bike 2021 - 20" Wheel | Halfords UK

Actually i was over on the Pedelecs forum(Member there too) and suddenly had a thought about an affiliated company called Woosh. they have something that looks like it would do. Top end money, but certainly looks the part.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think those bikes would still get stolen just as readily as your other bike. The best you can do is make your bike look like too much trouble to steal - "serious lock" on it like you said, and in a public / visible location. :)

I wouldn't rely on insurance, they seem to always have a sneaky clause that you weren't aware of (or the meaning of it).

How much riding do you think you will do, all up, realistically? If it is only 2 or 3 thousand miles a year wouldn't you be better to focus on one bike? They do take some maintenance - I find I generally only have time to look after and ride one bike.

I did consider retiring my current emtb to urban duties when I eventually replace it. I've decided I just don't use any bike enough for urban duties (I still have some non e bikes), so I'll stick to the one emtb.

Just a different view of course - all our needs are different. Re the panniers - I was considering a single wheel trailer for such things; keep the emtb lean and uncluttered :), much easier to load, carry more stuff.

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I think those bikes would still get stolen just as readily as your other bike. The best you can do is make your bike look like too much trouble to steal - "serious lock" on it like you said, and in a public / visible location. :)

I wouldn't rely on insurance, they seem to always have a sneaky clause that you weren't aware of (or the meaning of it).
I have no doubt that they do, only theyre a bit less visible than a full on emtb, with more of the lesser type being used for commuting these days.
I

Last edited:

Soupamoto

Mar 3, 2020
Knoxville, Tennessee
B6035BCA-FCE6-424C-9524-0830CC228409.jpeg

Yes, you should have two bikes.

I chose two identical models of Levo and setup one with all-terrain tiresas my do-all road, greenway, gravel,dry trail bike. Saving my other bike for pure MTB.

The biggest benefit is I get to share two identical batteries for occasional super long ride days.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
  1. Don't ever let your bike out of your sight, or have a companion mind it for you (it will be stolen for £100 profit - which covers all bikes).
  2. Its great to have a second great bike, different to the first bike, for riding perspective and as back-up when first one is down.
  3. Insurance is necessary to keep your mind quiet, but a lot of bother trouble to make claims. Best don't let it out of your sight.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I found I did need a second bike, but I did the whole process wrongly - ie back to front.

I bought a VanMoof S3 in April last year, based on various reviews, notably the Daily Telegraph. Motivation was partly to get exercise (at age 65) but mainly as a way to get 3 miles to my local country pub without worrying about driving after having that extra pint… The built in kick-lock, alarm and tracker meant I had no worries leaving it outside the pub for an hour or two.

Problem was, on rubbish Hampshire roads, the lack of suspension, combined with arthritic wrists, made it a very uncomfortable device to ride, although the Moofer app with a US 20mph setting made it almost as quick as driving. A couple of mates already had hardtail eMTBs and I had initially told myself i wouldn’t be off-roading with them. I was wrong, I’d been bitten by the eBike bug and quickly found myself wanting to ride on trails like the South Downs Way, instead of on the busy rural roads.

So in October I found myself acquiring a hardtail Trek Powerfly 7 (Bosch 85Nm, 625W/h). I held on to the VanMoof thinking I might still use for rides into town, but the Trek is so superior in every way that the VM never again saw the light of day, until February when I sold to a friend who now uses it in London (it’s natural environment).

I’m therefore down from 2 bikes to 1. The Trek is fine parked outside the pub with a gold standard Abus lock, but like you I’m reluctant to take it into town or leave in a busy place out of my sight, despite it being insured. So if I have to go into town I take the car, but I’m usually doing that to pick up something bulky or heavy anyway, so I don’t suffer any guilt from that.

Postscript. There’s now a group of 5 of us who ride most Sundays, but but my mates quickly developed torque envy and have now moved up to full suspension Giant eMTBs with similar outputs to my hardtail Trek. Where does that leave me now?

Mr.Nacho

Jan 14, 2022
Hood River, OR
I’ve got a Norco VLT-1 sight “Big Boy Bike” & an Orbea Rise M10. I don’t leave either one parked out front. They are either in transport or I’m riding one of them. No lock is good enough to stop a pro from stealing it, it’s just usually a deterrent (agreed with others, make it difficult to steal) or get an clunker E-bike??? I had a $150 US folding bike stolen in Spain, even had the guy on camera from our hotel and it took him 5sec to cut the cable and ride off.
Bikes need to have a built in system to help prevent theft?? I’m not sure what that would look like but it would sure be nice to walk away from it and not have to worry… Maybe a cable with an alarm wired into it??? Better yet it shocks the offending theft with what battery juice you have left👍🏼

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had four bikes three of them not used since I got Ebike , i so sold one a few months ago. Ebike out of commission for about three weeks just now . Used Dawes tourer last week once . Sulking because Ebike not working . I always say I will use others but it's not happening .

Mr.Nacho

Jan 14, 2022
Hood River, OR
Here are a couple of good option for bike locks. The LiteLok you can link together to make it longer so if you got two bikes or the Tex-Lock???? Both look like good options???? I know they are expensive but so is that $5-8k Ebike sitting out outside the Pub with your $30 cable that cuts like butter with a 12v cable cutter… You can always attach a “Tile” or “Airtag” to your bike in hopes that you can track it and prosecute those SOB’s ….

Anyway, I for one 100% support you in getting a 2nd ebike👍🏼😳but does you significant other??? Between the wife and I we have 4 Ebikes, (Riese & Muller Commuter, Levo SL, Orbea Rise & the Norco VLT-1 not to mention a handful of analog bikes…

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
The choice to commute or not on an expensive eMTB is tricky.

Currently I commute on my DIY eMTB (Polygon Siskui 7.0 + Bafang BBSHD - all up far from 'cheap' but less than half of what a similarly specc'd integrated eMTB would now cost). Theft is still a real concern (and ebikes are targeted here), but more just from the inconvenience and total PITA it would be than the cost itself (insurance...).

In addition to a boring heavy-cable lock, I have a very small and lightweight bike alarm - bought on a bit of a whim, and although a tad over-engineered with its wireless remote etc., it works _brilliantly_.

Once armed it will give a brief (loud) warning buzz if the bike is moved at all (very sensitive / roughly putting my helmet on the seat while repacking my bag will set it off / sensitivity can be altered too). Then if the bike is moved again, an ear-splitting alarm goes off (volume also settable). The alarm itself is very small and light / I have plans to integrate it with the battery or motor so it's even less obtrusive.

This is the alarm I bought on Amazon / very cheap and available lots of places online:

I also have both an Apple AirTag and a Tile tracker hidden on the bike to assist in recovery.

Currently building a Dengfu E10 / Bafang m510 eMTB, and will instead move to a u-bar lock (OnGuard Alarm U-Lock) with an integrated alarm (haven't received yet, so not sure how good they are), in addition to AirTags and Tiles again.

This is the lock I'll try:

Nothing is going to be perfect protection, but making your bike a little bit harder to steal might just reduce the chances enough.

My main thoughts:

1. Get theft insurance for your bike!
2. Add AirTag _and_ Tile trackers to assist recovery. Very easy to hide. (PM me if you want some photos/ideas of where I've hidden them on my bikes.)
3. Consider some sort of bike alarm.
4. A DIY eMTB is a really fun project for your n+1 commuter! Especially if you have a suitable donor bike lying around unused.

Mr.Nacho

Jan 14, 2022
Hood River, OR
LiteLok does have the new “Core Lock” so lets hope It holds up better than the “LiteLok One” shown above…

Something’s got to be better than nothing…

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles