Do emtbs really need special wheels?

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know that some manufacturers bring new wheel lines for emtb, like DT Swiss hybrid. Like enforced hubs and spokes and rims. But if the difference between mtb and emtb is just 10kg more, doesn't this mean that heavier riders also need special enforced wheels? I mean that the rider's weight distribution between riders is much wider than between emtb and mtb, so why there are no wheels for heavy riders?

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
I know that some manufacturers bring new wheel lines for emtb, like DT Swiss hybrid. Like enforced hubs and spokes and rims. But if the difference between mtb and emtb is just 10kg more, doesn't this mean that heavier riders also need special enforced wheels? I mean that the rider's weight distribution between riders is much wider than between emtb and mtb, so why there are no wheels for heavy riders?

maybe it's not just weight but higher torque?
embt can add 300++% more torque to rear wheels ...

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
The main thing about ebike specific wheels are the hubs. On DT swiss hybrid hubs, the freehub body is made of steel instead of aluminum to reduce cassette bite into the freehub body.

It's not so much about the weight but the increased strain the hub and its freewheel system.

Also one could argue that ebikes are ridden somewhat faster on climbs and level terrain so the stress on the wheel is more constant. But I too think that the wheel requirement on sustained downhill sections are pretty much equal on emtb vs mtb.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
maybe it's not just weight but higher torque?
embt can add 300++% more torque to rear wheels ...
True, but the total torque I deliver to the wheels that way,
stays lower than what a professional athlete delivers on an acoustic bike.

Those guys deliver averages of 400W, an Ebike is topped at +250W assistance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't start asking questions about whether the 250W is max power or average (and what sort of average). Don't even point at what the peak power might be. The 250W is limited by law (who knows why 250) and the manufacturers get around this by talking about "average". You don't want to awaken the beast of regulation!

If you are a real expert on this topic and not just an interested bystander like me, then you will realise that there will be a lot more to it than that. :unsure:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Hmm did not know that. Thought they were hard limited at at 250W by EU.
How long do they hold 600-900W ?

There isn't a legislated upper limit as long as the manufacturer specifies that the nominal wattage is <250w. That is assumed to be the wattage that the motor can run under load at forever without overheating. Which is why 250w motors keep getting more and more powerful as new models come out. Torque specs are far more telling as to how powerful a motor is, but you're also having to take the manufacturer's word for it as well. The only limit is a practical one, buyers won't buy a big heavy motor that eats batteries, so that keeps the power down somewhere under the superhuman level.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
They say you want stronger wheels cause you are riding faster, more often and more miles being the greater factors than the extra weight and motor power. I suspect there is some truth to this

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Unlikely, as for many ebikes under the £3k mark the wheels/rims are little more than generic cheapies.

But thats not likely to stop the bike industry though from adding E-spec to model names and charging a premium.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Part of it is marketing.
They say they are better, some riders will agree to pay more.
My Ebike is 4,000$ but some pay 8K, 12K ...

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I am riding a carbon fatbike with M620 motor (1,000 w). I wanted a set of wheels for mostly paved and dirt road riding and another dedicated set for trail riding so I bought a set of Framed wheels (not e-bike specific) and have put nearly 300 miles of single track trail riding on them, hitting logs and small jumps with no issues. As many familiar with those motors know the CAN Bus version is tuned to bring the heat right away, even on level 1 so it is not gentle on the drive train.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles