Levo Gen 3 DIY Apple Tag hidden inside frame

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
Apple tag zip tied to the TCU wires. I am using a silicone air tag holder for a small dog collar. Zip tied and fits inside the frame should prevent rattling noise while riding.

1677350880407.png

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
The issue, if the thief has an iphone, is the air tag sends a notification to the phone. Not to mention the beeping.

I have an air tag on my bike and my riding buddy's phone blew up with a warning.

It's an anti stalking measure.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Apple tag zip tied to the TCU wires. I am using a silicone air tag holder for a small dog collar. Zip tied and fits inside the frame should prevent rattling noise while riding.

Nice idea. If I recall correctly, this was discussed in another thread, as well as how to disable the speaker.

I slapped one onto my bike just for fun. I'm now alerted if she's not a home and we become separated. Sure, a thief with an iPhone would eventually be alerted. My thoughts are that hobo tweakers are more likely to have Androids rather than expensive iPhones. Even if they are alerted, it's going to take quite a bit of effort to disassemble the bike and find the AirTag. Do hobo tweakers even carry small torx and allen wrenches?

I also slapped an AirTag on an expensive item that is kept at a remote location. It generally gets "located" about once a day, which is comforting.

RichT

Nice idea. If I recall correctly, this was discussed in another thread, as well as how to disable the speaker.

I slapped one onto my bike just for fun. I'm now alerted if she's not a home and we become separated. Sure, a thief with an iPhone would eventually be alerted. My thoughts are that hobo tweakers are more likely to have Androids rather than expensive iPhones. Even if they are alerted, it's going to take quite a bit of effort to disassemble the bike and find the AirTag. Do hobo tweakers even carry small torx and allen wrenches?

I also slapped an AirTag on an expensive item that is kept at a remote location. It generally gets "located" about once a day, which is comforting.
And hobo tweakers are a big part of the problem. They are actually recruited and paid to steal e-bikes for organized theft rings. Will an air tag transmit from inside a metal frame?

simple_ben

Apr 10, 2023
Germany
I removed the speaker from mine and gorilla taped it to the frame under the tcu.
Have you tested the the signal attenuation? I found the carbon/aluminum frames reduce the range to 1M or so. The back of the motor and bash gaurd don’t as they are plastic. But they are lower.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Why not just get a tracker if you’re worried about theft? I’ve currently got the bosch connect module on my cube but will be going back to the powunity biketrax I had before when the free subscription is up on the BCM. Both have a cost of £4 per month but I preferred the biketrax as you can track at all times, unlike the BCM which will only give you a location if you confirm it is missing/stolen.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I have the Airtag glued under TCU and Bikfinder in the handlebar with the insurance.

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips

Funnily enough not all Android users are low life scum, we use it because its far better than the restricted Apple crap that people are convinced is the best.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles