Di2 xtr Derailleur SNAPPED

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
Wonder if anyone has had this happen. I've had a nice new Di2 Drivetrain fitted to my Mondraker crusher about 2weeks ago. I've had a handful of rides and love it.

Today I was out and I think I picked up a stick and somehow it's ripped my derailiar of the bike. It wasn't a big impact at all I just think It jammed it all up and snapped the Derailleur literally in half!! I would have thought it would be a bit more durable...... What do you guys think?

20200503_104711.jpg

20200503_104723.jpg

20200503_104746.jpg

20200503_104811.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have lost count of the number of derailleurs I have mangled, though luckily not yet on my EMTB other than bending the hanger a few times. I would check you hanger too as may have got damaged aswell.

I think it just part and parcel of the derailleur design, its in the firing line and even the most innocuous knock or jam can smash them in the wrong circumstances. Shame gearbox tech hasn't progressed to a viable alternative yet.

Wonder if you can replace the broken bits?

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
I have lost count of the number of derailleurs I have mangled, though luckily not yet on my EMTB other than bending the hanger a few times. I would check you hanger too as may have got damaged aswell.

I think it just part and parcel of the derailleur design, its in the firing line and even the most innocuous knock or jam can smash them in the wrong circumstances. Shame gearbox tech hasn't progressed to a viable alternative yet.

Wonder if you can replace the broken bits?
My bike mechanic has said it's not a part that can be replaced..... Proper f**ked.....? Just unlucky I guess.... A week old! ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Similar thing happened to me, but much to my surprise, Shimano warrantied it. In my case, I sent it to Shimano, and then they assessed it and sent me a new one back. Your local Shimano dealer should be able to do the same for you. Don't give up yet!

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
Similar thing happened to me, but much to my surprise, Shimano warrantied it. In my case, I sent it to Shimano, and then they assessed it and sent me a new one back. Your local Shimano dealer should be able to do the same for you. Don't give up yet!
Sounds promising.... Where did yours break.? Mine literally has no marks on it from any impacts. Makes me think twice about replacing a derailleur for hundreds of pounds if they so flimsy. ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sounds promising.... Where did yours break.? Mine literally has no marks on it from any impacts. Makes me think twice about replacing a derailleur for hundreds of pounds if they so flimsy. ?

Mine broke where the main body attaches to the part attached to the derailleur hanger. Defective casting I think.

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
I'm sure thats what mine was..... Crazy if a twig can snap a derailleur clean in half! My mechanic will send it back to shimano and see what the warranty dept reckon. #shimano

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles