Di2 worth staying with it?

Rapide

Oct 10, 2019
UK
I think I’m going to ditch my DI2 XT gears. At the moment they power off the main battery, so if I want to ride without it (up lift day, trip to Alps on a plane etc) I can’t. I could buy the little DI2 battery and plug that in but to me whilst I can’t fault the shifting I just think it’s all extra complication for minimal gain.

So I plan to replace the shifter and rear mech with standard cable XT and sell the DI2 stuff on eBay or what have you to recoup a bit of cost.

What do others think? Is DI2 the answer to a question no one asked? Or am I mad for getting rid?

Rapide

Oct 10, 2019
UK
I'll trade you....
Ha ha, thanks but I’d go new. Why would you want DI2? I’ve never had a problem with cable gears, well set up they’re slick as you like, I don’t really get the benefit if I’m honest. Can only see disbenefit - as above- plus harder to fix on the trail if you crash/ damage it, harder/ more expensive to get spares. If you got caught out and ran out of battery you might not be able to change gear either! (not sure haven’t tested it).

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I actually quite like my XTR Di2 on my NS Eccentric hardtail.. Fair warning that I didn't pay anywhere close to retail for the groupo.. I pieced it together from warranty groupos and other industry hookups. So my opinion is slightly altered since I didn't pay $$$$ for my setup. But I find the shifting to be really crisp and I like being bale to press and hold to have the bike shift a full cassette shift.

I rode for 7 months on a single battery charge and I still had 20% left.

I like mine lots.. But I'd definitely agree that if one was paying retail prices for things, I'd definitely choose cable XT or GX for bang for the buck. DI2 and AXS are still "bleeding edge tech". If you want that, you are paying dearly for it.

Rapide

Oct 10, 2019
UK
My bike came with Di2. Works great and has done for 500km off-road, but I'd still prefer a cable system. So fixable!

Exactly how I feel. Can’t knock it but it’s going. I ride in remote areas and I want a simple system I understand and could fix on the fly.

Same argument could be made for ebikes in general - I’m a riding contradiction ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles