Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
I also have this problem, even more troublesome because i have 27.5 rear wheel.
Cutting the cranks saved a whopping 35mm, because bafang left a LOT of meat on the end of the cranks which seems completely unnecessary...that and i can still add a thingamabob to the shock to increase ramp up, and add offset bushings if needed.

IMG_20230826_210544-EDIT.jpg

Mirus

Sep 20, 2022
USA
New video. After trying different combinations of gears, it seems like my noise issue is the interaction between the motor rotor gear and the third/small gear. Not sure which one of them are the issue.

Mirus

Sep 20, 2022
USA
Luna is selling me the small gear for $47. Hopefully that will fix it.

A bit disappointing that it came from them broken and I have to pay to fix it, but I suppose it's partially my fault for waiting months to actually test the motor (was focused on rebuilding the rest of the bike). They also didn't like the fact I opened the motor myself but that's the engineer side of me (I was also hoping it would be a simple fix like a re-grease but I guess luck wasn't on my side).

Still not sure why it makes that clacking noise. Either I'm overlooking a burr on one of the teeth or the entire assembly was machined out of tolerance/spec.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
went on another test ride - Im really bummed about this build....pedal strikes like crazy again. the bb height on my setup is 333mm. My other enduro (Devinci AC) has 360-370 (adjustable flip chips) mm bb height, and pedal strikes are not too frequent on it. i have it on the 360mm setting.

for this ride I had upped the rear shock pressure to 280 - thats a hair more than recommended for my weight (220 lb with gear) and there's already max tokens in the shock so i cannot reduce air volume any more. still blowing through too much shock travel too easily - will try a rediculous 300-320psi (max is 325). short of going to a strong coil shock i really don't know what else to do about the shock.

Im running a 170mm fork and 27.5x2.8 tires. it seems this wheel/tire setup is not a good choice on this frame.
In addition to going to 150mm cranks (which still wont be enough imho),
I could go to a 180mm fork
and 29x2.5 or 2.6 tires - that should get me ?? hopefully 30-40mm more ground clearance/bb height.

Has anyone tried a shock longer than recommended like a 235-240? looks like it could be done and still not contact the yoke. Im so frustrated at the thought of having to change wheels, fork, shock possibly just to be able to climb rough trails normally.

Has anyone measured their actual BB height? care to share?
I'd ditch the 27plus tyres, and fit a regular 29/2.4 or so. Those 27plus tyres might be getting up around the same diameter as a 29. But they will squish in a heap more unless you run ridiculous pressures or baby it around the trails. And that may reduce your ride height at crucial times increasing pedal strikes. (And i bet feel sluggish and squirmy when they are pushed/ridden hard too.)

With regards to putting a longer shock in. You can put a longer STROKE shock in provided you offset (and pin) one or both of the shock bushes. But I don't think you could put a longer length eye to eye shock in, unless you find a similar size inch measurement shock maybe?

Putting a longer stroke shock in, and offsetting the bush's will have a minor effect of slightly extending the rear suspension, which will slightly increase your rear height all else being equal. But it won't be a massive difference either way. Just a minor adjustment.

I have a longer stroke shock in mine (same eye to eye measurement). With the offset bush in the yoke. It effectively gives you just a little more travel, with the additional shock stroke. I like it on my bike, as with a coil shock, you can tend to blow through the travel a little bit on big hits.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
New video. After trying different combinations of gears, it seems like my noise issue is the interaction between the motor rotor gear and the third/small gear. Not sure which one of them are the issue.

Wow. A noise like the one in the second test in your video is horrendous.

I would think for it to sound like that, you would be able to see physical witness marks where something is rubbing wrong.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"I'd ditch the 27plus tyres, and fit a regular 29/2.4 or so. Those 27plus tyres might be getting up around the same diameter as a 29. But they will squish in a heap more unless you run ridiculous pressures or baby it around the trails. And that may reduce your ride height at crucial times increasing pedal strikes. (And i bet feel sluggish and squirmy when they are pushed/ridden hard too.)"

This is the conclusion I came to also. When the 2.8 rear tire wore out I had a new 2.5 in the shed and put it on as a stop gab, at least I thought. When it wears out I will go with the same width. I run @ 18psi btw and have Miranda 155's. That is if I don't get a 700c rear wheel and do away with the mullet setup I have been using now for the last 6yrs?

I don't do as much tight and twisty trail these days where I think the 650b rear helped a little? I have a long history with the 29" wheel and never really had issues running it both ends to be honest.

chrise22

Nov 28, 2022
US
Hi Guys,
After having all the bikes parts sitting in my garage for almost a year. I am now ready to build the e22 fast for my road-trip in ... 3 weeks.
I need to buy the headset , from the measurement of the headset given by Dengfu, the insert is 9mm (including the trimmed edge which help the insertion , don't know how to call it !) . The bike itself is 10mm (including the trimmed edge limite which define the limit how far the headset can go).
From this forum , it look like that the only option to install a nice headset (other than the stock one provided by Dengfu) is to get the Slackerizer Angle Headset - 2 Degree by superstar. From their webpage , I need to order the T7-4 Ec44/ZS56 120-130mm taper steerer. The insertion is 10mm which is exactly the space available in the frame.
Do you guys confirm my choice ? , Is there an alternative I can order from the US>
THanks

chrise22

Nov 28, 2022
US
This is an update from my previous post , Superstar actually does not ship in the US :(
I need to find an alternative. Any idea ?

Sixdays

Nov 22, 2020
MAN
A question for m600? Are they restricted motors like Bosch CXs? What are the best ways to get the most power out of them?
Also did anyone attempt a Luna V2 ludicrous conversion?
Thanks in advance

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Hallelujah!!!🙏🏿

Cape-connection

Nov 5, 2023
South Africa
I would recommend you to disassemble the shifting block completely (the one which actuated the gear hub), inspect it, inspect the seals, clean it, lube it, assemble it back and fill with fresh hydraulic fluid (I filled mine with Magura Blood Hydraulic mineral oil). The mechanism of the shifting block which connected to the gear hub is pretty simple, so it should be easy. You might want to see what is going on on the shifter lever mechanism if rebuilding the shifting block will not fix the issue.

Your thorough feedback assisted me to find another possible solution.
If I may use your image.

The following resolved the shifting matter for me
Bend the spring loaded plate underneath the pawl back slightly, to ensure that it keeps the pawl in position.
CD081018-A9ED-4B4E-9F7E-7310E85FBC3A.jpeg

Slide the retainer out to do this.
BB2A311F-BDFD-475F-98FA-D356DA948F2D.jpeg

From what I saw it looks like this insures that the pawl will follow the designed and desired path to be out of the way after the shift, or engaged when shifting is required.
The image might do a better job at explaining.
It is however crucial that you ensure all the air is out. Tilting the onesie while bleeding resulted in air trapped in the chamber to move out, while bleeding.

This Kindernay now “Shift”’s 😀😀, so nicely.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

BafangGang

Dec 13, 2023
California
I picked up a greenbikekit and opted for the spyder chainring adapter so that I can run the SRAM Eagle GX AXS system. It came with these two metal spacers. I’m able to use the spyder without the spacers. Has anyone else gone through this, if so did you use the spacers?
IMG_0648.jpeg
IMG_0647.jpeg

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
i made a video on the subject. i believe the spacer will be required perhaps only so the silver reverse thread nut will not bottom out before it clamps down!

BafangGang

Dec 13, 2023
California
i made a video on the subject. i believe the spacer will be required perhaps only so the silver reverse thread nut will not bottom out before it clamps down!
Thanks for the quick response. I didn’t quite make out when you put those on. Did you put a spacer on under the chain ring adapter or on top of the chain ring adapter? Just want to make sure I do this right!

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
I used 1 thicker spacer then the spider. my bike kit is also from greenbikekit. for the motor plastic cover i ended up using small silver torx screws which look like some you might use at the handlebar clamp
20231216_190930.jpg
20231216_191149.jpg

BafangGang

Dec 13, 2023
California
IMG_0661.jpeg

I bought this e22 frame kit from greenbikekit. Really excited to receive all the parts I ordered and dial it in!

Originally I was going to paint this frame but after a few quotes ($1000+😅) decided to focus on the components instead.

This build is going to be equipped with what I say is the latest and greatest drive chain. I’m going to be adding the SRAM XO1 Eagle AXS electronic drive chain. All in it was a pretty penny… All my research found that these new AXS drive chains hold up really well under heavy emtb torque. Plus less wires running through your bike and in the cockpit.

On top of the wireless drive chain I said “screw it let’s do it” and ordered the new RockShox AXS wireless dropper post. I went with the 31.6 x 170mm drop (max drop they offered). Another wire I can eliminate from my cockpit, Love it!

To keep the congruency of the cockpit I opted for the SRAM Stealth Code Silver brakes. Running 200mm rotors in rear and 220mm up front. I personally love how they designed the brake cable to hug the handle bars instead of splay out in front. I do a lot of bike packing and pack on my handlebars. This helps with organization. The brakes also have a really cool system with the AXS remotes. They can attach on the same mounting hardware creating a clean simple cockpit.

My chainring starts with the christini spider and a 36T SRAM 104BCD T Chainring (only 104bcd chainring that works with the sram AXS system and flat top chain required)

My crank arms are the raceface emtb aeffect 165mm.

Raceface has a wonderful warranty. Life time warranty even from crashes! That being said I grabbed up their wheels:
27.5” emtb aeffect R realwheel (they reinforce rear hub for high emtb torque)
29” aeffect front wheel. I’ll be running Maxxis minion DHF (front) 29” x 3.0” and Maxxis minion DHR (rear) 27.5” x 2.8”
Proper mullet with the largest tires I can run.

Grabbed the raceface carbon r handle bar as it was on sale and still have yet to purchase the rest of what I need.

Does anyone know of frame protection that works for the e22? I see quite a few options for main stream bikes, wondering if any of those worked for someone with an e22? Would preferably have limited graphics.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Whaaat? 1000 Usd+? Was it paint with the gold inside? ;)) Painting is 85 USD with Dengfu (one colour).

Why you did not take E55?

For M620 put there 40 or 42 teeth chainring.

BafangGang

Dec 13, 2023
California
That's if it's "transmission". Older AXS spec will be compatible.

Although i have strong concerns about wear/durability of the cassette with the ultra.
I have a himiway cobra pro (ultra motor) I’ve been running HARD for the last 2 years. I put the SRAM Eagle GX on there. I guess we’ll find out with the AXS system. Everything I’m reading and have also seen on a Luna Z1. It’s the best system for this high torque beast of a motor.

BafangGang

Dec 13, 2023
California
Putting together my e22. I’m using sram stealth brakes that don’t have brake sensors. Do I need to use these or can I just leave the brake sensors unplugged?
IMG_0709.jpeg

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
@BafangGang , No.
As long as you're using 4piston brakes with 200mm rotors front and rear at the very least, you should find that you won't need brake cut-offs for the E22.
In addition, brake cut-offs can hinder you getting the best performance out of the M620 in an Allmountain situation👍🏿

BafangGang

Dec 13, 2023
California
@BafangGang , No.
As long as you're using 4piston brakes with 200mm rotors front and rear at the very least, you should find that you won't need brake cut-offs for the E22.
In addition, brake cut-offs can hinder you getting the best performance out of the M620 in an Allmountain situation👍🏿
Thanks for the info Neeko! I’m running 220mm up front and 200mm rear. Most importantly wanted to know if I didn’t plug those brake sensors into something if it would affected the computer?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles