Decoy Hacks??!!

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I use black electrical tape to seal the gaps along the downtube. Gets quite wet here in North Vancouver in the winter.

First thing I did was replace the rock hard saddle.

Those stock YT saddles have got to be the most uncomfortable in the history of mountain biking. My ass went numb on the first climb.

I’ll agree with that been looking at new saddles just don’t know what 1 to get. I know it’s a personal thing to most but any recommendations. Was lookin at a wtb bell air

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I’ll agree with that been looking at new saddles just don’t know what 1 to get. I know it’s a personal thing to most but any recommendations. Was lookin at a wtb bell air
Ive been through a few saddles and really liking the ergon sm pro Ergon SM Pro Men's Saddle | Jenson USA
make sure you measure your sit bones and get correct width, makes big difference.
Wtb make good saddles as well the Silverado line is great.
bummer about saddles is you have to buy them to try them.. I have 3 out in the shop!!!

D

Deleted member 7401

I only have 80 miles on my base 29. So far an awesome bike. Just bought the new 160 debonair air spring. Easy install. Noticed the foam rings were bone dry. Y’all may want to check that out. Would highly recommend the new air spring. Really does allow you to use all travel. While I increased the travel only 10mm it looks and feels like I increased it 30mm.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I only have 80 miles on my base 29. So far an awesome bike. Just bought the new 160 debonair air spring. Easy install. Noticed the foam rings were bone dry. Y’all may want to check that out. Would highly recommend the new air spring. Really does allow you to use all travel. While I increased the travel only 10mm it looks and feels like I increased it 30mm.

Plan on doing that soon! Think I’m going for the push coil spring upgrade so will replace air side with coil but definitely bumping to 160mm. That and a coil for the rear.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Ive been through a few saddles and really liking the ergon sm pro Ergon SM Pro Men's Saddle | Jenson USA
make sure you measure your sit bones and get correct width, makes big difference.
Wtb make good saddles as well the Silverado line is great.
bummer about saddles is you have to buy them to try them.. I have 3 out in the shop!!!

Cheers mate I’ll have a look ta

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
My first ride today with no battery problems. Before the ride, I took out the battery and thoroughly cleaned the connections on the frame and battery with a toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Let it dry, reconnected, then taped up the gaps on the outside with black electrical tape.

I'm thinking that on my first ride which was raining, and really wet, that I must have got water onto the battery terminals - which then dried - and perhaps left a residue or some sort of corrosion. Hoping I've fixed the problems for now, but still taking into a Shimano service centre on Friday.

So, toothbrush + IPA is my tip of the day :)

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Ive tried just about every saddle over the years. I have the SQ Labs Active X currently. I did ordered the free sit bones fitting kit from then to get the correct width. They are quite expensive but worth the money for me. It is the first saddle I’ve had that stays comfortable even on longer rides with lots of climbing.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Ive tried just about every saddle over the years. I have the SQ Labs Active X currently. I did ordered the free sit bones fitting kit from then to get the correct width. They are quite expensive but worth the money for me. It is the first saddle I’ve had that stays comfortable even on longer rides with lots of climbing.
tin foil on a piece of cardboard works for cheap measuring tool.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Plan on doing that soon! Think I’m going for the push coil spring upgrade so will replace air side with coil but definitely bumping to 160mm. That and a coil for the rear.
Coil rear shock is the best thing I've done for my Duck! Super plush and no downsides, went for the Bomber CR from TFT (y)

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Coil rear shock is the best thing I've done for my Duck! Super plush and no downsides, went for the Bomber CR from TFT (y)

Ive been thinking of a coil on mine. I’m a little worried that it will make it less poppy on jumps as Ebikes give up some poppiness on jumps anyway. What’s your opinion?

Griggze

Sep 3, 2019
Kent
what dielectric grease are people using on there terminals any links would be great just got my decoy today.
Thanks
Sam

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I’m waiting for them to come in. Sold out in USA currently. Hopefully in next couple weeks. Then at some point I’ll send it to avalanche (tftuned equivalent in US) for a tune.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Had this made from a guy in Calgary/Canada. This was the first one he's made for the Decoy, so I had to send in a template. Gets a few metal objects and a tube out of my backpack.
Performance Satchel

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

Last edited:

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
Something like this (4mm thick)?
https: //www.amazon.ca/ dp / B07PBSBNRM/

I'm still having terrible battery issues. Turning off randomly, E10, E13, E20 errors. Used IPA on terminals and air compressor. Sealed battery with electrical tape. Will pick up some ACF50 and dielectric grease tomorrow.

Got the bike booked into a Shimano service center for Friday next week.
I found when I tried to seal the battery with clear tape all around, there was water condensation You can see inside the tape and that screwed up the electronics inside. I removed the clear tape and left the battery outside overnight to dry it out completely and now it works

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Had that problem as well when I first got the bike. Most common error now is the battery simply turning off whilst riding. I'm determined to get it fixed as I'm loving the bike otherwise.

Clean and lube the tiny little spring loaded balls in the battery connector. I think if they get a bit of muck on them they stick and don't put enough pressure on the other side of the connecter to keep a good contact.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Clean and lube the tiny little spring loaded balls in the battery connector. I think if they get a bit of muck on them they stick and don't put enough pressure on the other side of the connecter to keep a good contact.
Good info. YT also said to use an air compressor in there to flush out any grit.

See my later posts where I think I fixed the problem. Still took the bike into a Shimano Service centre for a checkup. Picking the bike up this morning to hear about their diagnosis.

I'll also be applying ACF-50 corrosion block and dielectric grease this weekend, and have some of the foam mentioned by @Fatbap to surround the inside of the battery case.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Got the bike back from Shimano, but they didn't detect any problems. Did the following when I got home:

1) Sprayed ACF-50
2) Applied dielectric grease with an old toothbrush
3) Applied neoprene to the inside of the battery housing

The dielectric makes it much smoother/easier to insert and take the battery out. The neoprene gives the battery housing a much more snug fit to the frame. I prefer this to the tape - as with the tape you have to take it off and apply again when taking the battery out and putting it back. I now have a thin strip of neoprene on the inside of the battery housing like this. Fun being early adopters eh...

IMG_4618.JPG

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
I applied clear tape around the battery and after washing the bike, humidity had built up the next day and you can see condensation build inside through the clear tape. Bike would not start and I get the “Shimano Steps” frozen logo. After removing the tape and battery for 24hrs to fully dry, the bike worked again.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I applied clear tape around the battery and after washing the bike, humidity had built up the next day and you can see condensation build inside through the clear tape. Bike would not start and I get the “Shimano Steps” frozen logo. After removing the tape and battery for 24hrs to fully dry, the bike worked again.
I'll keep an eye on things and will pull out the battery to check after a ride. Rock and a hard place... Doesn't get too warm where I live apart from a few weeks in July and August. Quite rainy from November to April. Can be humid though as by the ocean.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Happy to report not a single issue this evening. And I was riding quite wet, rowdy, rocky, rooty, gnarly trails. Was a total blast.

This thing might be faster than my Capra going downhill on some trails. It just oozes confidence when things get steep and rowdy.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Happy to report not a single issue this evening. And I was riding quite wet, rowdy, rocky, rooty, gnarly trails. Was a total blast.

This thing might be faster than my Capra going downhill on some trails. It just oozes confidence when things get steep and rowdy.

I agree. I’m faster downhill and better on the jumps than my Enduro Bike.

MKoskinen

May 23, 2020
Helsinki
Thanks for creating this thread! Now my Decoy works again. You probably saved me from a month-long warranty roundtrip.

By the way, what is the benefit of ACF-50 (or any anti corrosion spray) in this case? Protects the battery casing?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks for creating this thread! Now my Decoy works again. You probably saved me from a month-long warranty roundtrip.

By the way, what is the benefit of ACF-50 (or any anti corrosion spray) in this case? Protects the battery casing?
I use ACF-50 on the inside - on the battery terminals and connections under the frame. Then applied a little dielectric grease.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
U can use acf50 on pretty much everything( just NOT BRAKES & TYRES) it is a protective film that will help to stop corrosion on electrics, contacts, bearings etc. It will keep water out. I’ve been using it for years on my motorbikes. It’s not cheap but it does work

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles