Decoy Flip Chip High Setting

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
@Barty_NorthVan -

I've been running high ever since I got the Decoy due to so many pedal strikes and never looked back.....until yesterday.

I borrowed a ShockWiz and discovered that my DPX2 PSI was nowhere as high as it should have been for proper sag. After tuning my fork (less PSI required) and DPX2 (330 psi ....incredibly), I'm finally at proper pressures front to back.

After that, I felt like I was really perched up-high. It was a bit odd actually after a year of riding with more rake.

I just flipped chip to "LOW" and it feels normal now. I'm more in the bike and less perched up top on it. I had 1-2 mild pedal strikes, but nothing like when it was out of the box using body-weight PSI as a starting point.

So, I wonder how many folks running in "HIGH" chip setting actually have the proper sag going on, or like me, were running 'high' to compensate for too much dynamic sag.
I’ve got a coil on the rear now and still use the high setting. Fork and shock are dialed in. Also depends on the tires. I took off the rear 2.8” and replaced with 2.6”. The 2.8” sit higher.
I don’t think there’s a right and wrong between high and low. I just thank YT for giving me the option to try both.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
My 19 came with a 160 fork and i had pedal strikes in the low setting. With the fork at 180 i guess i have tge occasional rock strike but it still feels a bit higher than my mulletized commy meta am29(one reversed offset bushing). Graduslly i got used to it because you do pedal through more tech on the eeb. Never going back. Im going to put one offset bushing in my decoy to lower it closer to the meta. Rail turns so much better and much quicker loading up the bike for quick line changes.
#racetothebottom

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
I was riding in the high setting for the past two years due to pedal strikes. A buddy gave me a pair of 155 cranks to try and I immediately put the chip back in low. I was afraid that I wouldn’t like the short cranks but I didn’t notice them after a few minutes. Out on the trails (rocky steep mtn area) I noticed a few strikes but they were subtle and not jarring. They felt more like pedal contact with terrain that didn’t alter the bike any. My point is that if anyone is having issues with pedal strikes then I recommend the shorter 155 cranks.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
High Setting Flip Chip Report: (After 2 rides)

I really like the high setting for the technical trails here on the North Shore and I notice it has more pop on the slower drops as well which helps overall. I haven't had any pedal strikes since the flip which is great. On Fast DH sections I notice its not quite as planted but I found I was going way too fast when in the low setting anyways. I will be keeping it in the high for sure.

The only negative I find is when it gets really steep the angle changes make the fork feel a bit short. I'm have new bar and stem on order. I'm hoping this will shorten my reach and rise it up for those steep shore scenarios. If that's not enough I think making the fork 170mm will help. I'll keep you posted as the parts arrive.

Cheers
Barty
This may sound crazy, but how do you tell if chip is in the high or low setting? Thinking which ever word is on top is the setting? Currently mine has "high" on top. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
My experience is similar. I guess it depends on the rider’s body shape/weight distribution and riding style/prefernce.

I switched to High BB after getting fed up with the pedal strikes. But then I really didn’t feel comfortable at all. I was noticeably higher on the bike, and my balance was off and my confidence down. Note that my main interest is the downs/tech stuff, so trail riding is not my thing. I didn’t even try to jump in the High BB position, felt like it would be desastreous.

After 2 rides I went back to the low BB setting and I decided to learn to live with more pedal strikes in exchange for that much more confidence-inspiring and fun ride. I’m going to try to find a smaller platform pedal and perhaps try nylon pedals', the theory being that they will slip better when they strike rocks.

As a side note, on my analog bike (Pivot Firebird 29) I ride in High BB as I find the low BB on that bike to feel too mushy and slack. So it’s really all about individual rider feel.
You may want to consider shorter cranks. My new Yeti 160e came with 160mm cranks and I didn't notice any difference then the 165mm cranks on my Decoy in regard to pedaling efficiency/feel. Unfortunately Shimano doesn't make 160mm for the EP8 motor. Miranda does, but I've heard they are junk, cannot personally attest to it. Local aerospace company where I live is making a splash with mtb/emtb parts. They have small lengths for E8000 motors. Kinda pricy, but you get what you pay for. Decided to give the low setting a try after my Push ELEVENSIX rear coil shock is installed.

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
You may want to consider shorter cranks. My new Yeti 160e came with 160mm cranks and I didn't notice any difference then the 165mm cranks on my Decoy in regard to pedaling efficiency/feel. Unfortunately Shimano doesn't make 160mm for the EP8 motor. Miranda does, but I've heard they are junk, cannot personally attest to it. Local aerospace company where I live is making a splash with mtb/emtb parts. They have small lengths for E8000 motors. Kinda pricy, but you get what you pay for. Decided to give the low setting a try after my Push ELEVENSIX rear coil shock is installed.

I totally agree with this post. Short cranks are better. The issue with. Miranda cranks which I have is the weak lock nut. Just check it from time to time to make sure it’s snug. Here is a quick read on the topic:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I totally agree with this post. Short cranks are better. The issue with. Miranda cranks which I have is the weak lock nut. Just check it from time to time to make sure it’s snug. Here is a quick read on the topic:
2 years for me with the shorter Miranda cranks. They've been fine - but yes - do check the lock nut occasionally as it can become loose. It's just cheap plastic - it really should be metal...

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Had a typo on my previous post. Meant to state Shimano doesn't make 160mm crank for E8000 motor. Really like the Shimano cranks on my EP8. Will give input on 5 Dev 160mm cranks when they are released and get some rides in.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles