Levo Gen 3 Decent replacement shock for a heavier rider

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I am looking to upgrade the shock on my gen 3 Levo Carbon

I weigh around 110 kgs and only used the bike for light trail use no drops or jumps

What would be a decent upgrade please

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
The current shock is the very basic rock shock
Deluxe select R
I was told in general that it would be best to upgrade due to my weight ?

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
if your just trotting around the trails and your shock holds enough air for you to get 30% sag no need to upgrade, if you want to buy yourself something smoother for xmas... get a coil, ext storia or ohlins good shocks

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I've been quite impressed with the fox float x shock that came with my levo comp alloy. Runs at a higher pressure than the x2 (up to 350 psi rather than 300) and works for me at 315 psi ca. 105kg.
Yes, Fox Float Another good option, Easy enough to find and Cheaper too...

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
have you tried pulling the volume spacers. My Kenevo had a nardog token in it( that’s 2 and a half tokens). When I pulled it out the shock needed more air but it’s small bump feel really improved.
I ended up getting a fox float X , it’s is a much better choice for me.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wouldn't go coil on a Levo at that weight, it's a struggle to get suitable springs. How about a RS Vivid?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The current shock is the very basic rock shock
Deluxe select R
I was told in general that it would be best to upgrade due to my weight ?

You are correct that the your existing shock is a bit basic. But it only sees "light trail use." Would throwing a tall stack of cash at a new fork actually improve your riding experience? You might want to ride what you have for a little longer.

If you eventually decide that your suspension is lacking, you'll probably want to consider both the shock AND the fork.

Reactions: Dax

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I wouldn't go coil on a Levo at that weight, it's a struggle to get suitable springs. How about a RS Vivid?
he's on a gen 3 which is fairly progressive, gen 2's were linear, i went to a 700 spring on a gen 2, Then a 500 on a gen 3... He's also just riding light trails so a coil would be fine, Plush..

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Longer stroke on a Gen 3?
same eye to eye, think gen 2 was 52, gen 3 55 ?
But the linkage definately set up more progressive on a gen 3, i removed an ext shock off my gen 2, fitted to my gen 3 and just hopping about in carpark was throwing my feet off the pedals, So the shock had to go to mojo for a different tune and springs

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
Are there shock spacers available for Gen 3 Levo? I'm in the same spot as the OP. I'm 120 kg, and my shock is hard to get set up. I think it's just not suitable for a fat guy like me.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I've been quite impressed with the fox float x shock that came with my levo comp alloy. Runs at a higher pressure than the x2 (up to 350 psi rather than 300) and works for me at 315 psi ca. 105kg.
I found the opposite.
I had to sell my X2 and replace it with a float X and I had to pump the shock over the max pressure to get close to 30% sag.

Now im running a float x with a small neg spacer and im super happy

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
float X and I had to pump the shock over the max pressure to get close to 30% sag.

I've just got the stock Fox shock on it, but I am probably exceeding the max pressure, also. I can't measure it accurately, though. I think it's over 300 lbs. The air stem is in an awkward angle and my air pressure gauge can't quite fit on it very well.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
If you are going to ride air suspension, you should really get a proper digital shock pump. I have a buddy that has 4 pairs of five ten shoes ( each pair to match one of bikes he has) but refuses to drop $30 bucks on a proper air shock. Just get a shock pump.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
America, canada and australia worse than the ex mrs... fk them... if you want a new shock, can afford a new shock go n get yourself a new shock....

RichB19

Mar 20, 2019
Leeds, UK
I found the opposite.
I had to sell my X2 and replace it with a float X and I had to pump the shock over the max pressure to get close to 30% sag.

No, I agree, had an x2 on gen 2 levo and much prefer the float x on my gen 3.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I bought a Bomber CR coil shock on sale to use as a replacement when my EXT E-Storia goes in for service. The price was pretty reasonable vs an air shock and used the same spring from the EXT to get proper sag. I'm actually very impressed with the shock. Had multiple PR's since it's been on there.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
If you have a shit pump then no matter what you get the shock will be shit!!
Now that really is silly.... The pump just pumps... you could rip the gauge off your shit or top end pump it and will still pump your shock to your prefered sag...
Get a good shock and a shit pump, not a shit shock and a good pump...

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I don't know who else uses them but I purchased a shockwiz to set my suspension up
Seems to work pretty well for me once you get the hang of it
Ming you that's for RS

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
I found the opposite.

This is a problem i found when i was 115 its to do with the leverage rate on speshs suspension design basically its about 3.2 ish and you need 350psi or an 800lb spring for a coil and then some to get it to be useful , in the end i ditched it and got a bike with a rocker like a remedy, in fact it was an exe but i could never get the levo not to wallow

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles