Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Brakes are definitely not bled. Seems they’ve just cut the hoses down and are full of air. No issues for me personally as I have all the SRAM bleed kit. But a pain if yours arrives like mine and you haven’t got the kit / need to take it to a store.

Incidentally I can’t see a size on mine. Although it’s listed as a ‘48’ which I hope is XL
Does this help?

8E5675B6-B878-4358-8F58-FBDD2C32EA44.jpeg

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Brakes are definitely not bled. Seems they’ve just cut the hoses down and are full of air. No issues for me personally as I have all the SRAM bleed kit. But a pain if yours arrives like mine and you haven’t got the kit / need to take it to a store.

Incidentally I can’t see a size on mine. Although it’s listed as a ‘48’ which I hope is XL
The Stilus is my first bike took it to Decathlon after first ride out. Mentioned gears and brakes and they spent 20 mins working on it. Gears are now fine but brakes still seem quite poor. Not sure if that’s just the way it is or not. @PhilBaker @Pigin have suggested a few things which I will look at this afternoon.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Super surprised it has the 6a £150 fast Bosch charger included though. Even some £6k bikes come with the cheapo 2a charger.
I thought I read somewhere it takes about 6 hours to charge, then mine turned up with 6a chargers......i had looked into getting 1 myself, anyway which would you prefer 6a charged or stem bolts...cant please some people...???

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Head angle on the XL is measured at 65 degrees with my digital gauge. Not 66 as they quote.

EDIT: my fork measures 170mm ?

Bottom bracket height from centre of BB to floor is a pretty low for an ebike 335mm

7B7358BF-1CEF-406C-8675-E62B9B975331.jpeg

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Stilus: The bike that just keeps giving ?‍♂️

not sure how much travel through that 170mm I’ll get so it’s likely a 160mm fork

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
And more evidence !! It's the limited edition "Stilus Carver" - you'll be able to sell that for double with it's limited edition nature and it's celebrity history !
Hope mine hasn't got a Rockshox Quadra/elastomer/60/80mm travel set up as they seem to be a bit haphazard regarding components ?.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales

not sure how much travel through that 170mm I’ll get so it’s likely a 160mm fork
That's interesting coupled with the 65 deg HA. ?. Slap on a 200mm and riser bars Ever and recreate Easy Rider moments as Peter Fonda (film reference for the older contingent/bikers amongst us) ?.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Are you going to play around with the spec a bit? Given the flexibility of the frame to fit 29 inch wheels etc it would be really interesting to see you test it stock, but also swap some of the parts out too and see if it not only makes sense as a bargain decent bike, but can it be upgraded into something more?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Are you going to play around with the spec a bit? Given the flexibility of the frame to fit 29 inch wheels etc it would be really interesting to see you test it stock, but also swap some of the parts out too and see if it not only makes sense as a bargain decent bike, but can it be upgraded into something more?
Yes for sure it’s going to be a project bike. After the initial rides / Videos I’ll put a mullet and my 160mm Puke Ultimate on it. And decent tyres.

charlieback

Jul 10, 2020
UK
Few more observations in general after a few on and off road rides...
-40kph is about the max speed I can pedal to with the gearing. This also feels about the max speed I'd be comfortable with.
-you hit the 25kph assistance limit very quickly on level and moderate inclines.
-feels like there's a bit of engine braking when coasting.
-the brakes take a lot of pull back squeezing my 3rd knuckle with a 2 finger pull. Not sure they need bleeding since don't get firmer after pulling a few times
-I have the seat without the hole in it. The material is coming away where not glued properly.
-I get a massive grin every ride.

obsidian

Jun 26, 2020
Croatia
The Stilus is my first bike took it to Decathlon after first ride out. Mentioned gears and brakes and they spent 20 mins working on it. Gears are now fine but brakes still seem quite poor. Not sure if that’s just the way it is or not. @PhilBaker @Pigin have suggested a few things which I will look at this afternoon.
I have the same brakes on different bike (trek fuel ex) and they are great - lots of stopping power ( i weigh 75kg). The ones on Stilus might need propper bleed.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
There seems to be a brake theme here!

I would adjust the travel at the lever end as per the above video and judging by the amount of dirty grease marks that were apparent on the bike I haven’t got (?) I would give the rotors a good degreasing for good measure as well. Another top little tip is to remove the pads and give them a very light rub with medium grade sandpaper. Don’t breathe any of the dust in. Do a few gentle stops and avoid asking them pads to do too much too early. New pads are easy to glaze over when they are new and not conditioned.

Last edited:

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Had a first ride with the 85nm software update today mainly on EMTB mode (as if i've understood correctly, this is where it's claimed most of the software changes are. )

First observations, (comparing only with 3x1.5 hour "75nm" rides since delivery from decathlon on Tuesday )
-seems a bit more more "progressive", reacting more to how hard or soft I push down , enabling a bit more throttling of the level of assist
-the cut-out at top speed seems a little less harsh, felt less of a jolt forwards when going past the 16mph.
-the lag from starting on a slope seems a bit reduced. had found this a bit annoying pre-update, especially when in wrong gear.

Not sure i felt any distinct torque difference, but i didn't do many of the slower hills this run.

Other things I gleaned from the bosch guy...
-the motor has a setting that can be programmed for the crank length. He measured this as 165mm on the stilus, but reported that the software had been set at the ">=170" setting rather than "<=165" setting available. He offered to change it, but I decided to keep it the same in order for a like for like comparison
-there's a blank field on the config, that he recommended putting your mobile number into, in the event that if the bike was stolen, it would serve as proof of ownership. so i did.

Anyone know which crank length setting would give a little bit more top speed before the limiter kicks in? ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles