Dead ebike???

tiga

Feb 3, 2023
Puyallup, Washington
Went on vacation to Moab, Ut. Traveled from WA State to UT. Upon arrival in UT. bike was DOA. Went through all the obvious stuff. Anyone travel and have a dead bike upon arrival? It was a bummer as it was the wife's ride. She did a half day on a rental at Deadhorse Point State Park. Weather wasn't the best, ended up doing more hiking than riding. Beautiful part of the country.
20230320_122347.jpg
20230320_122205.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Anyone travel and have a dead bike upon arrival?

Unfortunate that the bike blew up on you. On the bright side, at least there was some good hiking.

Regarding your question, yes, my bike failed two days ago. Luckily, the trailhead was only a 45 minutes from home and the bike store was on the way, so I'll be back on the trail tomorrow. I guess that's the biggest downside of eMTB's: the more complicated a machine becomes, the greater the chance of failure.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Could be so many things ..

Unfortunate battery or motor fault.

Not sure about the Marin and if it has a remote power button. Some of these have a tiny battery in which charges from the bike. If this goes flat you sometimes can start the bike by pressing the power button on the battery through a tiny hole in the frame.

Not always that accessible, but could just have been a cable not fully inserted at the motor end or the handlebar end. They take quite a lot of force to "click" in and are often incorrectly seated. The display cable can also be snagged/stretched/trapped after moving the bike which will result in random behaviour.

Hopefully the shop will get it sorted and it will be something simple.

Colin1517

Mar 14, 2023
Lancashire
I had this with my Cube stereo when I first got it home from the shop, I thought it was some strange start up sequence I wasn’t aware of being a newb. Turned out the cable from the motor to the thumb controller had vibrated loose on the car drive home and just needed a firm push back in. No issues since 🤞

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
I had the same thing happen after a minor crash… no power. The local bike shop couldn’t find the problem, even after removing the motor. They suggested changing the wiring harnessI which they didn’t stock. I took the bike back to the campsite and pulled the motor myself (Shimano E8000). I found a loose connection from the battery to the motor. After removing and reattaching (with the “click),the bike ran perfectly, and still is.
So the answer seems to be yes, wiring can come loose.

tiga

Feb 3, 2023
Puyallup, Washington
Diagnosis: the controller has a short in it. If you unplugged the display unit. Bike would power up. As soon as the controller was plugged into the display it would shut down. New controller ordered should have bike back next week.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles