Custom Paint and your Warranty

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
I have seen some great custom paint jobs online particularly in the DH scene and am thinking to get my Kenevo (currently matt black) professionally painted or maybe even striped and polished. with this in mind i have some questions:

1. My Kenevo is coming up 12 months old (first of the 2019 models) would strip and polish or respray effect my warranty?
I will ask LBS were a purchased it but good to get any firsthand experience on this!
2. The new colour line on the Rockshox's look great with that rich glossy deep look can this be achieve on my frame, what type of paint shop would you recommend and would it be durable?
NZ_RockShox_DebonAir2018_GG4A5460.jpg

3. For the polished look, i presume this would be achieved by strip and polish (ball burnish) but would it be lacquered? this look was popular in the 90s and as i child of that era i love it.
4. Can lower legs and crown on my RockShox’s be painted.

Any advise experience will be welcome..

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
Remove the lower leg of your fork.
Clean and degrease.
Sand down to bare aluminium.
Clean and degrease.
Tape off parts that should not be painted.
Take it to a local car bodywork shop. Hand over fork with stickers, instructions on where to put the stickers and preferred colour.
They'll hold your fork untill a car comes in with the colour you want. They'll paint the fork (primer, lacquer, apply stickers, clear coat) for few bob.

Bodyshops hate sanding and prep, but love painting. As long as you're not picky on the paint colour, it would not take long either.

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
Remove the lower leg of your fork.
Clean and degrease.
Sand down to bare aluminium.
Clean and degrease.
Tape off parts that should not be painted.
Take it to a local car bodywork shop. Hand over fork with stickers, instructions on where to put the stickers and preferred colour.
They'll hold your fork untill a car comes in with the colour you want. They'll paint the fork (primer, lacquer, apply stickers, clear coat) for few bob.

Bodyshops hate sanding and prep, but love painting. As long as you're not picky on the paint colour, it would not take long either.

The full plan, Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With the frame, I would get it powder coated as its aluminium, you can have it stripped and lacquered, or left raw, they even do a chrome/polished type finish. Its cheapo and durable to have done. The powdercoaters will strip and blast the frame down to bare metal, so you dont need to do any prep. You will need to break down the frame, or get a shop to do I, before taking it to the powdercoaters.

The fork legs cant be powder coated, they have to be painted.

Warranty wise it tends to be a no no, the interesting thing with EMTB's is that quite often the motor warranty is longer than the frame one.

I had my Vitus E-Sentier powder coated matt black, which voided the frame warranty, but the motor is still covered. Cost me 60 quid. A full suspension will cost a bit more due to the amount of parts.

IMG_4059.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles