Cube e-bikes - what size? Does it worth to wait for the 2023's bikes?

peter32

Sep 21, 2021
Greece
Hello all!
I'm saving money to buy a Cube trekking e-bike. Based on my calculations, I will be able in 3 to 5 months. I like the Cube Kathmandu.

I have 3 questions:
1. Will be able to catch up the 2023's e-bikes? Does it worth?
2. When the 2023's e-bikes launched (first months of this family e-bikes), will be in the same prices with 2022's, cheaper or more expensive?
3. I'm 33 years old, my height is 185cm with inseam ~83cm.
- The ideal frame size based on online calculators is the 56 for me.
- Cube sizes: 54 (M) - 58 (L) - 62 (XL)

Since I was a child I used to have ideal to bigger frames on my bikes.
I have in my mind to buy the 58 frame size (Cube e-bike).

Do you agree? Maybe to choose the 62 (XL) one and what's the cons and pros of a bigger frame size?

Silverfox Baz

Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Hello all!
I'm saving money to buy a Cube trekking e-bike. Based on my calculations, I will be able in 3 to 5 months. I like the Cube Kathmandu.

I have 3 questions:
2. When the 2023's e-bikes launched (first months of this family e-bikes), will be in the same prices with 2022's, cheaper or more expensive?

Do you agree? Maybe to choose the 62 (XL) one and what's the cons and pros of a bigger frame size?

Just like with anything, you can always wait for next year’s model but then you’ll never buy one. Just go with it and don’t worry about what is coming later, it will always have extra bits and pieces or tech but you’ll will already be out riding and enjoying your bike when that happens. I bought my Kathmandu in October 2021 and a month or so later the 2022 models were announced but not with much more than I already have. You can guarantee the next model will be more expensive.

Regarding size, Cube frames are on the larger side. I am 178cm and was going to go for a medium. Luckily I found a shop that had one in stock and I could try. I had to put the seat down to its lowest position and it was just about right but left me with no room for adjustment down if needed (it has a suspension seat post so can’t go right down). I then tried the Small and with the seat raised a couple of inches it fits perfectly but I have adjustment down or up if needed.

In my opinion going for a bigger frame size that just about fits but with no lower adjustment is not a good idea. At 185cm I would guess a Medium would be best for you, possibly Large but definitely not XL. The best thing to do is try to find a store with them in stock and go and try.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
From my experience Cube frames are small so you need to sit on one to figure out size. I am exactly in the middle of their Medium size according to their online size guide but I would probably be more comfortable on a size Large.

Ebike tech is growing very quickly so there can be some big changes between years.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Just to add I also think cube are slightly on the small side frame wise. I'm 180cm and large fits me well. You should try either a large or extra large to see which suits you better

peter32

Sep 21, 2021
Greece
Is there any case if I buy a 62 frame size (XL), to not be able to do the pedal / to be a useful e-bike for me, even with the saddle on the lowest level?
I'm 185cm with 83cm inseam.

There is a huge difficulty here in Greece to find a shop or service to rent a Cube e-bike to make my tests, unfortunately. :/

OMG if I pay 3.320 EUR for a Kathmandu e-bike that I can't ride. :O
Sorry, I have to ride a bike since I were at high school / I'm a bit far from this sport for a lot of years.

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
No, the XL won't be that big for you at all. It's a bit longer reach that'll be the worst of it. It could well be the perfect size for you.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I agree that Cube bikes tend to come up a bit smaller. I looked at the geometry of mine, went for a large but still found it a bit too short for me so ended up changing the stem and bars to make it a longer reach. Mind you this was a mountain bike not a trekking bike.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
They already have 750wh?
Ah yeah my bad. My '20 has the 625wh. Maybe I can pick up a cheap new '22 bike then rather than a '23 bike. Only thing my '20 doesn't have is the ability to connect to an app, I'd like ECO mode to just have a tiny bit more assist.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
There is a huge difficulty here in Greece to find a shop or service to rent a Cube e-bike to make my tests, unfortunately. :/

OMG if I pay 3.320 EUR for a Kathmandu e-bike that I can't ride. :O

XL is the Cube-size for you.

The best way is to buy both L and the XL and compare them for a month.
Then you return one and claim the money back.

"30 days money back guarantee"

Last edited:

burnside man

Sep 27, 2020
coatbridge
I ride a (L)Cube EBike Hardtail Mountain Bike. While not a trekking bike I find the L best for me at 1m 86. I suggest you go for the L as the size range is just about the mid point of this class of bike for you.
Also go for it now if you are a serious biker.

GravelOne

Sep 13, 2022
UK
Thread bump! I'm in almost same position - did you end up getting L / XL ?!

I'm 182cm tall (just under 6ft) with an 84cm inside leg (33").

Cube site suggests XL or L.
Local shop suggests L - but they only have L in stock!
I've sat on both and both seem ok to me - the XL does feel and look fair bit bigger. I do have a Trek XL (non-EMTB) but standover is lower than the cube and geometry is all a bit different so find it hard to compare. I think it's the standover on the Cube XL that makes it feel so big.

I've read a load of blogs and guides and feels like I must be right on the divide between L and XL?! The bulk of online guides say L/19" frame for my height and it's mainly likes of Cube calculator and another similar one that is making me doubt things.

I'm leaning towards the L but so much conflicting information - I guess as both would be basically ok. My wife fits a medium and I did think she would be able to use a Large (but not an XL) if wanted to, so another vote in that direction if really 6 and 2x3.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Thread bump! I'm in almost same position - did you end up getting L / XL ?!

I'm 182cm tall (just under 6ft) with an 84cm inside leg (33").

Cube site suggests XL or L.
Local shop suggests L - but they only have L in stock!
I've sat on both and both seem ok to me - the XL does feel and look fair bit bigger. I do have a Trek XL (non-EMTB) but standover is lower than the cube and geometry is all a bit different so find it hard to compare. I think it's the standover on the Cube XL that makes it feel so big.

I've read a load of blogs and guides and feels like I must be right on the divide between L and XL?! The bulk of online guides say L/19" frame for my height and it's mainly likes of Cube calculator and another similar one that is making me doubt things.

I'm leaning towards the L but so much conflicting information - I guess as both would be basically ok. My wife fits a medium and I did think she would be able to use a Large (but not an XL) if wanted to, so another vote in that direction if really 6 and 2x3.

If the large fits comfortably and the standover height is good, the cockpit doesn't feel cramped and your riding position is good... Then go for large?

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
I’m 178, too, but I found the Large was pulling me forward into the cockpit. The Medium feels like I am in control of it, whereas the Large felt like it was controlling me.

Ride both before deciding; it is the only way to be sure the bike fits your style.

skritikos

Nov 3, 2022
Greece
Hello all!

I have 3 questions:

Dear Peter,

I had to register to this forum to reply to you!

Please accept the opinion of someone that rides a Cube trekking eBike for 2 years now doing almost 8000km

My model is a 2021 (bought in Sep 2020) Hybrid Touring EXC 625. The bike has almost identical geometry with the Kathmandu and for my size it was actually using the same frame in that year.

I am almost 2m tall and the XL is borderline big even for me! Trekking Cube e-frames are huge. Nothing like the MTB versions. They have a very tall height and long reach.

XL will be HUGE for you! Large will be big too.

I ordered my bike from Germany as no one could find one to sell to me in Greece. So I never tried it.
If I was able to try it before the purchace I would even consider the Large size. And as I said, I have a very long body and an inseam of 92cm.

For you I think the Medium should be the best bet. But, this is actually a bet especially if you mail-order like I had to do.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hello all!

I have 3 questions:

Hi,
if you grow by just 1 (one) centimeter from 185 to 186 cm size L will be the one for you 😉:

B353275C-00AC-45F2-819B-CFEF095B8C79.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles