Cube 160 Headset Bearings (2022 model)

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Hi

I have a Cube Stereo 160 HPC SL 750 27.5 (2022 model)

The headset bearings need replacing. Have looked into this and I can see bearings for the 2020 model and 2021 Action Team. They appear to use below:

ZS56 TOP HEADSET BEARING
ID - 40mm
OD - 52mm
H - 6.5mm
ANGLE - 36˚
/ 45˚
ZS56 BOTTOM HEADSET BEARING
ID - 40mm
OD - 52mm
H - 6.5mm
ANGLE - 36˚
/ 45˚

Does the 2022 model use the same headset bearings?

Thanks for any assistance

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Are they not covered under warranty for a 2022 bike?
Assumed it was under 'wear and tear'. Everything else seems to be classed as that. On my first ride last year afet getting the bike the derealliuer disintegrated along with the hanger and chain after hitting a rock. Spoke to my LBS - 'wear and tear'. And on my previous Cube 160, the plastic motor guard shattered on my first ride after it caught a fallen tree. Again, wear and tear

Assumed bearings not under warranty

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
> Are they not covered under warranty for a 2022 bike?
Assumed it was under 'wear and tear'.

Somethings like brake-pads, which by their very nature wear out, are wear & tear and not covered by a warranty.

Killing a derealliuer with a rock or smashing the motor guard on a tree are accidents/user-error and obviously not covered by a warranty.

Headset bearings wearing out* in under 2 years is a warranty case. It implies insufficient material quality of the bearings and/or insufficient grease when assembled - a manufacturing deficiency.

How this plays out in reality depends on your jurisdiction (my impression is that consumer rights are a lot weaker in the US compared to the EU for example), and also the attitude and mood of the person who deals with your warranty claim.
Do try though and be politely insistent.

If they still say 'no', it may well not be worth the cost & hassle of taking legal action compared to just paying for new headset bearings.

[*] If you've had a crash which has somehow cracked the bearings, again, not a warranty case.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles