Cube Stero Hybrid 160 TM 2022 Stuck lower headset bearing casing

S1NDEN

Jul 29, 2023
Newcastle
My bottom bearing in my headset has rusted, most of the bearing fell out with the fork, but the outside case of the zs56 bearing stayed stuck in the frame. The bike has a blocklock on the fork and inside the frame there appears to be a little block of metal for that; The bearing case is on the other side of this. Do I just tap the casing of the bearing down from the inside of the frame opposite the little metal chunk or should I be removing this little metal chunk holding it in place? Cheers for any help.

PXL_20230729_140518001.jpg

Last edited:

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
You need a headset removal tool

You can do it without if you carefully knock all the way round. Don’t knock too much at one side or it will twist and get stuck

S1NDEN

Jul 29, 2023
Newcastle
When you say knock all the way round, do you mean the bearing case behind the mteal chunk as I don't think I can knock it down on that side as it's blocked by the chunk. Or did you mean something else?

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Yes you need to knock it out from the top
AFAIK a LockBlok is part of the headset that restricts how far it can turn so the bars can’t stoke the frame. It should knock out like a regular headset cup
If I’m wrong someone who knows better will be along in a minute to point it out

S1NDEN

Jul 29, 2023
Newcastle
You were dead on about this btw, just thought I'd come back and let you know :) In the end I removed the whole bottom cup and ordered a replacement. It's a shame there's no obvious way to just swap out that bearing, but it is what it is.
Thanks again for your reply.

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
As long as You keep -22 stem + stack, You'll keep having this issue. If You have plastic covers in Your frame, You can convert / re-route the cables with pre -21 parts and keep Your headset covered from water. Knock block still works as designed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles