Cube 140 HPC 29" vs Cube 160 HPC 27.5"? Advice appreciated please. :)

RonenRs

May 27, 2020
Bienne
Well today I had my first real taste of what an EMTB is like to ride up hills... and holy crap it's basically my dream come true! I do not have big muscly legs or endless stamina nor do I wish to put myself through the torture of building up a crazy amount of muscle in my legs just to be able to get up the steep trails near my house... this gets rid of the need for that. It's not like I don't have to do anything, my legs are still burning on tour mode but I am making the same or more progress of my friend who was takes pride in not having assistance but was still huffing and wheezing with every turn of the pedals and wanting to turn back before it got dark. In future I will be powering up the hills to get to those sweet downhills! :D

The Bosch motor is nice, not too loud and very smooth, I am happy I chose it as a system and will get another battery soon for those all-day tours in my local mountains.

I will do a more detailed dedicated review of the bike when I have used it more as I am going on a ride on Saturday with my friend. I also want to make the tyres tubeless.

Happy days. :)

No worries man thanks for the post.. better late than never! I think you are right, the 140mm does seem a great all-rounder. :D

Hi! I'm I am in the same dilemma as you and also live in Switzerland (Biel/Bienne) . I read everywhere that the 140 is the better choice, but the guy at my local store (an ex competitor who is now like 60) advice me to take the 160 for single trails. He also tells me that he sells 2/3 of 160 for 1/3 of 140,.

I'm far of being a pro, I drive actually a Scott scale 70 (classic hardtail with 26'' wheels...). I want to do single trails, but I'm not going to do downhill or big jumps before a long time.

So my question is: after a few months, are you happy with your choice? Would you do the same again? Have you some advices for a noob?

Thanks a lot.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I am totally happy with my choice of the 160 TM. However there is no clear cut answer. Both are fantastic bikes with almost equal capabilities. The 160 can take bigger hits and because of the smaller wheels, it feels a little more manouverable in tight trails. It had the same feel to it as my last bike and that is why I chose it.
The 140 has a little larger wheels, so theoretically rolls better over larger bumps. People talk of a smoother ride.. but I couldn't notice it.
In my opinion the 160 has a bit of a coolness factor to it. I mean who wouldn't want more suspension?
In the reviews, the 140 seems to get a lot of pretty positive comments.
I'm probably not helping you much there am I.

RonenRs

May 27, 2020
Bienne
I am totally happy with my choice of the 160 TM. However there is no clear cut answer. Both are fantastic bikes with almost equal capabilities. The 160 can take bigger hits and because of the smaller wheels, it feels a little more manouverable in tight trails. It had the same feel to it as my last bike and that is why I chose it.
The 140 has a little larger wheels, so theoretically rolls better over larger bumps. People talk of a smoother ride.. but I couldn't notice it.
In my opinion the 160 has a bit of a coolness factor to it. I mean who wouldn't want more suspension?
In the reviews, the 140 seems to get a lot of pretty positive comments.
I'm probably not helping you much there am I.

Thx for your answer. I'm also interested by the Specialized Levo Comp which is the same price in my country. I can't decide between this two. I prefer the look of the comp and it seems to be a nice bike, but I'm afraid of engines failure.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Thx for your answer. I'm also interested by the Specialized Levo Comp which is the same price in my country. I can't decide between this two. I prefer the look of the comp and it seems to be a nice bike, but I'm afraid of engines failure.
I had a similar debate in my head,I stilldo to be honest..but I've pretty much stuck with my gut instinct,the cube hpc 160sl...and its £1500 cheaper lol

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
Does any of you have any information about availability of Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC SL 625 (black). It seems that it is impossible to buy them now and I am getting some worrying inputs from local shops that this model might not be available any longer in Europe this year. I checked most shops (Switzerland and Germany) I could find online that are Cube dealers. If that is the truth it is pity because I was really hoping to get it this year. Unless Cube is preparing to launch some new models any time soon and that is why they sold out everything and not taking more orders.
Any news is much appreciated.

Cheers :)
Hi yes ive found theres a massive shortage i managed to get the last 22inch 160 stereo action team hpc 3 weeks ago from a shop in wales and i have to wait until july for it which is killing me being the most impatient man going..they are completly sold out of the 22inch and wont be making anymore have tou managed to get one?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Been waiting about 5 weeks for my 160sl but was told yesterday that it could be another 4,they should confirm this week.if I'm waiting much more I'm cancelling and getting the levo comp

RonenRs

May 27, 2020
Bienne
Hi yes ive found theres a massive shortage i managed to get the last 22inch 160 stereo action team hpc 3 weeks ago from a shop in wales and i have to wait until july for it which is killing me being the most impatient man going..they are completly sold out of the 22inch and wont be making anymore have tou managed to get one?
In Switzerland ther is some stocks, but finally I bought a Specialized Levo Comp. For the same price, the feeling is a lot better imo.

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
Been waiting about 5 weeks for my 160sl but was told yesterday that it could be another 4,they should confirm this week.if I'm waiting much more I'm cancelling and getting the levo comp
I feel for you mate its painful isnt it. Ive been told end of june /july so thats a possible 8 weeks not good.. hope you get yours asap mate it will definitely be worth the wait i reckon you will have same problem with all makes and models

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland

Another 4 weeks will take you in to July and their 2021 models will be out in August, if it were me I wouldn't be buying a 2020 model a matter of weeks before the newer model came out unless there was a substantial discount,

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Another 4 weeks will take you in to July and their 2021 models will be out in August, if it were me I wouldn't be buying a 2020 model a matter of weeks before the newer model came out unless there was a substantial discount,
It might just be worth waiting,but the longer I wait the more chance I'll just walk away from it all..its taken me 3-4years to finally pull the plug lol

scoffcrudle

Feb 19, 2019
Scotland
I'm in a very similar position. I was told by my LBS they are sold out completely and won't be getting more in until later on in the year when the 2021 models come out.

So do I try and find one online somewhere or wait till the new models come out? I'm steering towards waiting as we are quite close to the new year. Furthermore, I'm interested to see if there are any modifications to the Gen4 motor and the widely reported knocking noise problems.

Tough one when all you want to do is go out and blast a few local trails on a new bike!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Been looking around a few shops today,and think I'm gonna stick with the cube,seen the race version in blue n red and cannot believe how much nicer it is than the black version.as I type this it's enough for me to just wait till it turns up.i was going to get the levo comp but only have large left and that was just a touch to big....so until I change my mind again,its the 160sl in blue and orange,invisiframed with orange burgtec grips,shimano saint pedals and tubeless..wish .e luck...again

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
Been looking around a few shops today,and think I'm gonna stick with the cube,seen the race version in blue n red and cannot believe how much nicer it is than the black version.as I type this it's enough for me to just wait till it turns up.i was going to get the levo comp but only have large left and that was just a touch to big....so until I change my mind again,its the 160sl in blue and orange,invisiframed with orange burgtec grips,shimano saint pedals and tubeless..wish .e luck...again

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland

Funnily enough I had a very brief shot of a blue/red race one and hated the colour and I generally love blue as a colour on anything.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Funnily enough I had a very brief shot of a blue/red race one and hated the colour and I generally love blue as a colour on anything.
Each to there own I guess,I personally loved it,I thought the carbon and black looked very bland and completely put me off it..I did briefly debate the action team but again,I'm not a massive fan of its colour scheme and I just dont need those top end components,and nost Important,the price..perfect comprise for me is the sl in blue with 27.5 wheels at a good price

Falco

May 30, 2020
TheShed
Just looked at one today,Infinity in durham,I. Waiting on my blue n orange 160 to turn up whi h is now 2 weeks,carbon colour and green one in store k now also but I wanted blue...point being,they've got lots of cube stereos good to go...shop ordered them 2 weeks ago and most have arrived...I can't see why any euro dealer would have a problem
Sometimes coincidence is funny; I ordered my 160 carbon sl 625 in October 2019, long story short my lbs received the orders and mine got mishandled so instead of the carbon grey they received exactly the blue n orange, not my style though.In the end I ordered the action team 160, mostly because my country offers a very good subsidy as a consequence of covid. Still, like more the carbon color, it looks really badass, even more with that thin layer of dry dirt after a run!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Sometimes coincidence is funny; I ordered my 160 carbon sl 625 in October 2019, long story short my lbs received the orders and mine got mishandled so instead of the carbon grey they received exactly the blue n orange, not my style though.In the end I ordered the action team 160, mostly because my country offers a very good subsidy as a consequence of covid. Still, like more the carbon color, it looks really badass, even more with that thin layer of dry dirt after a run!
Wish we were offered subsidy in the uk

Clarky860

Mar 19, 2020
Austria

What country are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
We are offered subsidy .on the cycle to work scheme you could get 50% off one of the higher end models
Ah,
We are offered subsidy .on the cycle to work scheme you could get 50% off one of the higher end models
I had no idea,unfortunately my works dont offer c2w,I did ask a good few months ago..oil gas and greed,seems to go hand in hand

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
Ah,
I had no idea,unfortunately my works dont offer c2w,I did ask a good few months ago..oil gas and greed,seems to go hand in hand
Thats a shame steve i think if a company employs more than 5 people they would be eligible and wouldnt cost them only yourself and the government im waiting for my new bike saying end of june/july which is annoying and yes thyy do seem to be greedy although the governmet make the most out of gas and oil by way of taxing us 90% out of each 10£ spent at the pump very greedy mate

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Thats a shame steve i think if a company employs more than 5 people they would be eligible and wouldnt cost them only yourself and the government im waiting for my new bike saying end of june/july which is annoying and yes thyy do seem to be greedy although the governmet make the most out of gas and oil by way of taxing us 90% out of each 10£ spent at the pump very greedy mate
Yes,alot more than 5 but I was told no

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles