Cube 140 HPC 29" vs Cube 160 HPC 27.5"? Advice appreciated please. :)

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Hi guys. Following on form this thread here (Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC 625 Action Team... great value for money? - EMTB Forums ) I am looking for a "do it all" (as far as can realistically be expected, of course) EMTB for the Swiss alps.

I will be doing mostly XC and trail riding but it will also involve some steep uphill and inevitably some downhills (some of which may be rough) due to, well... living in the alps and the intention of trying many different areas. :)

I have identified the Cube Action Team 2020 as in my view the bike with the best value spec for the money (my work cycle scheme will pay 50%) and see it comes in two distinct flavours, the 140mm and 160mm (both with carbon frame like all HPC Cubes). As such I am having trouble working out which configuration of Cube would be most suited to my needs.

I am:
  • 178cm/5ft 10in
  • 71KG
  • 60cm armpit to middle of outstretched hand (as close as I could measure so give or take a couple of cm)
  • 80cm top of inside leg to ground (as close as I could measure so give or take a couple of cm)
My thoughts are:

------------------------------------

1. Cube 140 HPC 29" CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Actionteam 625 29 actionteam 2020

84324911_10156502683221330_4959167972393353216_n.jpg

More classic AM travel with 150mm fork, 185x55mm rear shock and 29'er tyres. Slightly shorter reach. I figure this would mean it would be a great cruiser and eat up roots and rocks, but less agile and numble on tight trails and corners.

2. Cube 160 HPC 27.5" CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Actionteam 27.5 625 actionteam 2020

85044850_10156502683356330_6402901953130528768_n.jpg

AM/Enduro borderline travel length of 170mm fork, 205x60mm rear shock but with 27.5" tyres. Slightly longer reach. I figure this would mean it is slightly less of a cruiser than the 29" and doesn't go over roots and rocks quite as well, but more comfortable and forgiving suspension and due to the smaller wheel size will be more agile and easier to maneuver for someone my size and weight.

------------------------------------

I am today going to a local store to try and see if there are any in stock (Switzerland is terrible for trying before you buy), but from what I posted above what do you guys think (as much as is reasonable with the info I provided) about which bike may be more suitable? Feedback much appreciated, thanks. :)

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I faced a similar quandary around this time last year, but with 2019 versions and both with 27.5 wheels so perhaps this made it easier to make a decision. In the main I ride local trails; bridal paths, woods etc. so nothing too challenging, but occasionally bike parks. In the end I decided on the 160 because, although I don‘t do anything too challenging if I wanted to it was the better bike, in my view. When I do get to a bike park it soaks up pretty much anything, although that probably sayS more about my ability than the bike.

I’m not convinced I got the correct frame size. My height is at the top end of the 18”, bottom end of the 20”, after discussion with lbs I decided on the 18”. I need the saddle set relatively high in relation to the handle bars, so whilst the ride position is comfortable, after a few hours in the saddle I get a little discomfort in my neck. Although comparing geometry between 2019 / 2020 the latter has a shorter reach, so perhaps I wouldn’t have the same issue with the newer bike.

Apart from that I bloody love the thing.

Good luck!

Last edited:

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
I faced a similar quandary around this time last year, but with 2019 versions and both with 27.5 wheels so perhaps this made it easier to make a decision. In the main I ride local trails; bridal paths, woods etc. so nothing too challenging, but occasionally bike parks. In the end I decided on the 160 because, although I don‘t do anything too challenging if I wanted to it was the better bike, in my view. When I do get to a bike park it soaks up pretty much anything, although that probably sayS more about my ability than the bike.

I’m not convinced I got the correct frame size. My height is at the top end of the 18”, bottom end of the 20”, after discussion with lbs I decided on the 18”. I need the saddle set relatively high in relation to the handle bars, so whilst the ride position is comfortable, after a few hours in the saddle I get a little discomfort in my neck. Although comparing geometry between 2019 / 2020 the latter has a shorter reach, so perhaps I wouldn’t have the same issue with the newer bike.

Apart from that I bloody love the thing.

Good luck!
Interesting and thanks for the info. Would be useful to know exactly what your height and weight are?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
My. 50cts. The 140 is a great do it all. Are you looking for the M size? . I'm 169 cm and I ride a 140 M size. Maybe L could be a better size for you.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
My. 50cts. The 140 is a great do it all. Are you looking for the M size? . I'm 169 cm and I ride a 140 M size. Maybe L could be a better size for you.
The 140 is a 29" though and I think that while that may be good for eating up miles, it's not so good for mountain areas with thin and tight areas as it will reduce the agility and nimbleness? Plus, the 160mm gives me a little more flexibility if things get really rough while still being fine for riding long distances..

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
The 140 is a 29" though and I think that while that may be good for eating up miles, it's not so good for mountain areas with thin and tight areas as it will reduce the agility and nimbleness? Plus, the 160mm gives me a little more flexibility if things get really rough while still being fine for riding long distances..
It's allways a matter off personal preference. I've swamped my 2019 160 for the the 2020 140 and very appy with it. Try it if possible.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
It's allways a matter off personal preference. I've swamped my 2019 160 for the the 2020 140 and very appy with it. Try it if possible.
Thanks for the feedback chap. Can you please explain to me:

Why you prefer the 140 with 29" more than the 160 with 27.5"?
If you ever worry about it bottoming out on more difficult trails or is that not a concern unless you are really hammering drops (which I likely won't)?

The more I read the more I am now leaning towards a 140mm 29'er as I think I was underestimating how capable the suspension and travel is on 90% of the areas I would be riding it in. Maybe it's not a good idea to get 160mm for the 5% time I would need it vs getting 140/150mm with smooth rolling wheels for the other 80-90%.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I can talk about general feeling. After a year with the 160 and 2 months with the 140 I feel this one is a more "do it all machine" as I ride diferente kind of trails. Confortable on longer light trail rides, and very capable on more rugged stuff . You have to keep in mind that motor, size, and frame have also changed . It´s a new generation bike and the new motor has a significative impact in the ride feel .

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
I can talk about general feeling. After a year with the 160 and 2 months with the 140 I feel this one is a more "do it all machine" as I ride diferente kind of trails. Confortable on longer light trail rides, and very capable on more rugged stuff . You have to keep in mind that motor, size, and frame have also changed . It´s a new generation bike and the new motor has a significative impact in the ride feel .
Ok so basically even on more rugged trails you don't feel that the 140 is pushing its limits with the Fox Factors kit?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Ok so basically even on more rugged trails you don't feel that the 140 is pushing its limits with the Fox Factors kit?
Not at all. In general I like the 29 over the 27,5 feel in rugged terrains. Don´t feel significant impact in agility /manoeuvrability.
I have a friend who rides one in demanding trails with drops, jumps, etc with no problema. I think he had installed spacers in the rear schock .
For my riding it was seting the SAG around 25% and some experimenting with the rebound and I´m happy.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Not at all. In general I like the 29 over the 27,5 feel in rugged terrains. Don´t feel significant impact in agility /manoeuvrability.
I have a friend who rides one in demanding trails with drops, jumps, etc with no problema. I think he had installed spacers in the rear schock .
For my riding it was seting the SAG around 25% and some experimenting with the rebound and I´m happy.
Thanks a lot gpx I really appreciate your feedback. Now I think that the 140mm with 29'ers would be the best overall fit and I will speak to my LBS.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Well guys in the end I went to the store and after having a sit and bit of a pedal I went for the Cube 140 with 150mm/140mm Fox 36 Factory up front and rear respectively. I will pick it up Monday and give some feedback when I have ridden it for a bit.

I paid full rrp but my work is paying around 50% with our cycle scheme sp I am not too fussed. I also paid an extra £70 for an additional 3 years warranty on all components (2 years standard so now 5 years in total) which I think is well worth it. I also got the guy to throw in some Shimano XT Shadow flat pedals and a set or ergonomic grips which basically offset the additional warranty.

Thanks to everyone for the advice given in this and other threads... I am really looking forward to getting out on it and I will likely commute to work on a regular basis now too, weather permitting. :)

Some quick photos:

84950706_10156517254691330_5551706101545697280_o.jpg

85027137_10156517254966330_232051216077553664_o.jpg

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Well guys I just picker her up and rode her home... in the sodding rain. Decided to take a small diversion down a mud track to christen her, then immediately regretted it when I remembered I was wearing my good trainers and jeans and saw mud spattered over a 30 mins old bike that I then had to take into my apartment. I did stop at Decathlon on the way back to buy some cheapo mudguards but still... its bad weather today with heavy rain and there's only so much they can do. :rolleyes::D

Anyway, despite the mud and rain the ride home was short and tame but nonetheless revealing. The Medium frame seems to be the right size for me and I had it running mostly on a mix of Eco and Off (as in, assistance disabled) modes. I am surprised how smooth it is to pedal when the motor is disabled and also how good eco is for light inclines and I see no need to have it on more until I go on a real hill or get tired... no doubt having 29" wheels helps with that!

I can't wait to try her out on a full ride and will also order a spare battery soon to go with my EVOC E-ride backpack that I ordered. It's going to be a fun Spring and Summer!

Some photos... :)

20200217_173717.jpg

20200217_173818.jpg

20200217_173827.jpg

20200217_174005.jpg

20200217_173856.jpg

20200217_173848.jpg

20200217_173906.jpg

20200217_173926.jpg

20200217_173838.jpg

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Nice bike!!!
Sorry I missed this thread or I would have added my comments. Though they probably wouldn't have helped you.
I went for the 160 with the 27.5 wheels just because In my test rides I found the 29 inch wheels felt so big and heavy, and the bike just didn't feel as agile. That said, I have had the 2016 160 27.5 Cube Race for the last 2 years, so it felt more familiar to me.
I think the difference between the 2 models is so negligable that whatever you get you will be happy. I don't race downhill or basically do any type of racing, so it realy doesn't matter which model you have. as long as you are having fun and getting out riding then go for it.
Oh by the way I got the 20" frame. I am about 85 Kilos and am about 180cm tall. Pretty similar to Frankieboy

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Well today I had my first real taste of what an EMTB is like to ride up hills... and holy crap it's basically my dream come true! I do not have big muscly legs or endless stamina nor do I wish to put myself through the torture of building up a crazy amount of muscle in my legs just to be able to get up the steep trails near my house... this gets rid of the need for that. It's not like I don't have to do anything, my legs are still burning on tour mode but I am making the same or more progress of my friend who was takes pride in not having assistance but was still huffing and wheezing with every turn of the pedals and wanting to turn back before it got dark. In future I will be powering up the hills to get to those sweet downhills! :D

The Bosch motor is nice, not too loud and very smooth, I am happy I chose it as a system and will get another battery soon for those all-day tours in my local mountains.

I will do a more detailed dedicated review of the bike when I have used it more as I am going on a ride on Saturday with my friend. I also want to make the tyres tubeless.

Happy days. :)

Nice bike!!!
Sorry I missed this thread or I would have added my comments. Though they probably wouldn't have helped you.
I went for the 160 with the 27.5 wheels just because In my test rides I found the 29 inch wheels felt so big and heavy, and the bike just didn't feel as agile. That said, I have had the 2016 160 27.5 Cube Race for the last 2 years, so it felt more familiar to me.
I think the difference between the 2 models is so negligable that whatever you get you will be happy. I don't race downhill or basically do any type of racing, so it realy doesn't matter which model you have. as long as you are having fun and getting out riding then go for it.
Oh by the way I got the 20" frame. I am about 85 Kilos and am about 180cm tall. Pretty similar to Frankieboy
No worries man thanks for the post.. better late than never! I think you are right, the 140mm does seem a great all-rounder. :D

hexon

May 18, 2020
Switzerland
Does any of you have any information about availability of Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC SL 625 (black). It seems that it is impossible to buy them now and I am getting some worrying inputs from local shops that this model might not be available any longer in Europe this year. I checked most shops (Switzerland and Germany) I could find online that are Cube dealers. If that is the truth it is pity because I was really hoping to get it this year. Unless Cube is preparing to launch some new models any time soon and that is why they sold out everything and not taking more orders.
Any news is much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Just looked at one today,Infinity in durham,I. Waiting on my blue n orange 160 to turn up whi h is now 2 weeks,carbon colour and green one in store k now also but I wanted blue...point being,they've got lots of cube stereos good to go...shop ordered them 2 weeks ago and most have arrived...I can't see why any euro dealer would have a problem

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Does any of you have any information about availability of Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC SL 625 (black). It seems that it is impossible to buy them now and I am getting some worrying inputs from local shops that this model might not be available any longer in Europe this year. I checked most shops (Switzerland and Germany) I could find online that are Cube dealers. If that is the truth it is pity because I was really hoping to get it this year. Unless Cube is preparing to launch some new models any time soon and that is why they sold out everything and not taking more orders.
Any news is much appreciated.

Cheers :)

As rare as hens teeth. I've also been trying to get the exact same model locally, none anywhere. Some online shops will say they have them til you call them and tell you they won't be in for a few weeks, however to counter that my lbs said there will be no more at all now given 2021 bikes will be appearing late Summer.

Lock down has seen bikes fly out the door.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Just looked at one today,Infinity in durham,I. Waiting on my blue n orange 160 to turn up whi h is now 2 weeks,carbon colour and green one in store k now also but I wanted blue...point being,they've got lots of cube stereos good to go...shop ordered them 2 weeks ago and most have arrived...I can't see why any euro dealer would have a problem

Jeez, just read your post after I posted, seems completely contrary to what I've experienced.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Visit today local dealer. Looks like the business is in a good wave to bike stores. They have 140 and 160 in stock but didn´t record what version. Remember seing actionteams and some others.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
I could pick up tomorrow but I'll not be getting g the colour I want....is that pathetic ?? Looked at the black/carbon one and wasnt overly keen..light blue one comes in 2 weeks..saf..Im gonna wait.ill ride the motorbike and hardtail till then.
Also I'm.getting shimano sai t flat pedals,any good ? Or again,is that a stupid question.suppose I knows the answer lol

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I could pick up tomorrow but I'll not be getting g the colour I want....is that pathetic ?? Looked at the black/carbon one and wasnt overly keen..light blue one comes in 2 weeks..saf..Im gonna wait.ill ride the motorbike and hardtail till then.
Also I'm.getting shimano sai t flat pedals,any good ? Or again,is that a stupid question.suppose I knows the answer lol
I can completely understand you regarding the colour. It's exactly the same with a car. Colour plays a huge role in the buying decision. If you ar giving out shit loads of cash for somethingy you want to feel comfortable about it.
Yes tha Saint pedals are great. I used them on my last two bikes without any problems. If you want more grip, you can remove the washers under the pin heads so they protrude longer. Gives more grip and leaves more impressive Shin Tattoos!!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
I can completely understand you regarding the colour. It's exactly the same with a car. Colour plays a huge role in the buying decision. If you ar giving out shit loads of cash for somethingy you want to feel comfortable about it.
Yes tha Saint pedals are great. I used them on my last two bikes without any problems. If you want more grip, you can remove the washers under the pin heads so they protrude longer. Gives more grip and leaves more impressive Shin Tattoos!!
They come with 2 sets of pins,3mm and 5mm

Last edited:

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I could pick up tomorrow but I'll not be getting g the colour I want....is that pathetic ??

Not at all, I could've got one the other week but wasn't in the colour I wanted. One thing I've learnt from years of riding motorbikes is you have to like the look of it, if you don't you'll struggle to like the bike.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Those "black" in the 140 SL model is a nice color in natural light. I´ve had the same dilema . I was inclined for the blue. As soon I saw the "black" live at store, changed my minde in a split second. It´s not black, it´s a king of dark grey with nuances.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Those "black" in the 140 SL model is a nice color in natural light. I´ve had the same dilema . I was inclined for the blue. As soon I saw the "black" live at store, changed my minde in a split second. It´s not black, it´s a king of dark grey with nuances.
Yep,I went to the store to look at it and just want to see the blue up close,I'm 99% sure I want blue..these things are expensive so the decision needs to be right.

hexon

May 18, 2020
Switzerland
Yep,I went to the store to look at it and just want to see the blue up close,I'm 99% sure I want blue..these things are expensive so the decision needs to be right.
I wanted black one but got confirmation today from another dealer that my dream, black model 22 inch (size I need) is completely sold out everywhere including manufacturer....what a pity :( They talked directly to Cube sales rep so it seem to be legit information unfortunately. There are some rumors that due to the current situation Cube might continue producing the same model(s) for 2021. Anyway since you are talking about the blue one and I found one nearby I will go and see it live - thought it is too vibrant for my taste but maybe I will change my mind. ?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Special order direct from Germany approximately 2 weeks ago,through infinity cycles in durham.other than that I've no idea..I'll assume I've just beaten any deadline

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles