Rail (625Wh) creeks

idunne

Sep 19, 2022
merseyside liverpool
i have a trek rail 2022.. 9 months old and it has just started to creek i cannot pinpoint where its creeking so am going to start with the seat post and greese it and tighten back up to spec and go out and see if it stops the creek if not try another one and so on each day is there a creek list i can follow to tick off....

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I was chasing the creeking noise around on my Rail shortly after it was new. Turned out to be the bearings at the pivot. LBS replaced those with better bearings. It’s been almost 3+ years now and no creaks. The rattling drove me crazy too…battery compartment cables.

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
Main pivot bearing mate. They come from Trek with barely any grease on them. Take it out, clean the bolt and bearings and reinstall with a generous amount of grease. I do this after every muddy ride.
Screenshot_20230611-064349.png

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I have about three years (~8k miles) on a couple Rails. My checklist as follows:
  • Seatpost and cradle
  • Cassette (I run the HG freehub body)
  • Handlebar
  • Cranks (the stock E-13 cranks are soft as butter)
  • Pivot bolts
  • Motor mount to frame bolts
  • Motor to motor mount bolts (these were security pentalobe fasteners, but Bosch has since switched to Torx-plus to make it easier to tighten these, best to remove them and apply thread locker)
  • Knock block spacers
  • Headset shim (I have found that the lower bearing seat on alloy Rail frames is out of spec and needs to be shimed, I use the top chamfer of a Guinness extra stout can)

hijodeputa

Nov 23, 2022
Essex
Mine creaks around the main frame bearing on the top of the shock mount, if that makes sense? I blow mine out with the airline every wash now and spray a bit of WD lithium grease in there. Took me weeks to find it as it sounds like it's coming from the seat post.

idunne

Sep 19, 2022
merseyside liverpool
Mine creaks around the main frame bearing on the top of the shock mount, if that makes sense? I blow mine out with the airline every wash now and spray a bit of WD lithium grease in there. Took me weeks to find it as it sounds like it's coming from the seat post.
YER... LIKE I SAID ITS NEVER WHERE YOU THINK ITS COMING FROM

Jan 26, 2023
England
i have a trek rail 2022.. 9 months old and it has just started to creek i cannot pinpoint where its creeking so am going to start with the seat post and greese it and tighten back up to spec and go out and see if it stops the creek if not try another one and so on each day is there a creek list i can follow to tick off....
my trek rail had a really really annoying creak, i thought it was coming from the head set... after days of trying to get it to stop i discovered that it was coming from the seat post. the noise was travelling up the tube. re greased it after cleaning and all sorted.
like someone has pointed out. the creaks never seem to be where you think they are :) :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles