Creaking noise coming from motor

notaddicted

Aug 14, 2021
UK
Hi,

I have a Cube Stereo hybrid 2020 and an intermittent creaking noise coming from somewhere in the motor has recently started to occur when pedalling.

It sounds similar to the noise a non-ebike would make if the bottom bracket needed replacing.

I've tried removing the cranks and replaced in case they were making the noise, and have also had the pivot bearings replaced, but the noise persists. It only makes the noise when pedalling and appears to get worse throughout the ride.

The weird thing is though it is intermittent and doesn't do it every ride.

I was wondering whether it might be coming from some of the bearings in the motor, and if these are a serviceable/replaceable part.

Has anyone else come across this?

IRideBikes

May 9, 2020
Preston
i would check all your motor mount bolts, had mine come loose causing a similar issue, the should be 20nm :) i asked cube. failing that, i also had a few sets of dmr vault pedals that made the same noise and went chasing round the bike for the noise lol so if you have those it might be worth a look also

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
It can also be metal plate mounted on motor, which is used then to mount the motor on frame. This is Bosch problem and needs motor replacement.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
IMPORTANT
If your frame is aluminium, then the bolts can be 20Nm, BUT if its carbon they need to be a lot less.
6Nm for the plates to the motor and 11 for the frame to the plates.

See this thread here for what happens when you get it wrong

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks for the advice all!
If the noise is when you pedal only it really only proves the noise is coming from the drivetrain somewhere. The motor mounting is a quasi replacement for the BB on a standard bike so that is included but invariably the area in which the motor is mounted acts as a sound box for noises originating virtually anywhere on the bike. So I would check all elements of the drivetrain including the rear hub/freehub.....fairly easy to check so worth doing if just to eliminate them. Just this week I helped someone who was convinced his motor was making noises under heavy pedalling.........turned out to be a failed freehub bearing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles