Creaking bolt on Bosch Performance CX

BigJim

Sep 23, 2019
Anglesey
I've narrowed down the creak to the rear bolt. Tightened it and it cures the creak for about 100miles but then the creak returns.

I've taken the motor out and I've noticed the foam between the bolt and the motor case is perished. Should I aim to replace that, or remove it completely?

If replace, any idea where you get that sort of thing from (I'm in the uk) i was thinking about a nylon washer instead?

Any advice or ideas welcome

20200614_140344.jpg

20200614_140404.jpg

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I’ve never removed the motor so unfamiliar with the ‘foam‘ spacer. Personally I’d replace it vs. removing it as it is no doubt there for a good reason. If your lbs can’t supply them, Infinity cycles is worth a try as they seem to do lots of spares for Cubes that other suppliers don’t.

Also, there are a few threads on the Cube section covering creaking noises, one has the torque setting listed. Tightening to the correct torque appears to resolve the issue.

BigJim

Sep 23, 2019
Anglesey
I’ve never removed the motor so unfamiliar with the ‘foam‘ spacer. Personally I’d replace it vs. removing it as it is no doubt there for a good reason. If your lbs can’t supply them, Infinity cycles is worth a try as they seem to do lots of spares for Cubes that other suppliers don’t.

Also, there are a few threads on the Cube section covering creaking noises, one has the torque setting listed. Tightening to the correct torque appears to resolve the issue.
Thanks, I'll give infinity a try.

I used that thread before to find the creak in the first place. Torqued the bolts to the correct settings but sadly creak comes back.

BigJim

Sep 23, 2019
Anglesey

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
I've narrowed down the creak to the rear bolt. Tightened it and it cures the creak for about 100miles but then the creak returns.

I've taken the motor out and I've noticed the foam between the bolt and the motor case is perished. Should I aim to replace that, or remove it completely?

If replace, any idea where you get that sort of thing from (I'm in the uk) i was thinking about a nylon washer instead?

Any advice or ideas welcome

Did you get your creaking sorted in the end? Battling my own creak at the moment on my 2020 Cube :/

Did you have much trouble dropping the motor out? Was there much to disconnect once you got the bolts out?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Did you get your creaking sorted in the end? Battling my own creak at the moment on my 2020 Cube :/

Did you have much trouble dropping the motor out? Was there much to disconnect once you got the bolts out?

perhaps you could just try tightening them. Worked for me on my cube

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
perhaps you could just try tightening them. Worked for me on my cube
Been there, done that sadly! Did you torque them up to a specific tightness or just guesstimate it?

I've been trying to get official figures from Cube but no response yet (looks like my initial email from their website got blocked but I got a response to my follow up email asking if there was an update so I'm waiting! I spoke to a Cube dealer here in the UK who said 30nm was the tightness recommended by Bosch.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Been there, done that sadly! Did you torque them up to a specific tightness or just guesstimate it?

I've been trying to get official figures from Cube but no response yet (looks like my initial email from their website got blocked but I got a response to my follow up email asking if there was an update so I'm waiting! I spoke to a Cube dealer here in the UK who said 30nm was the tightness recommended by Bosch.

I seem to remember tightening the larger bolts to 24nm as that was the limit of my wrench.

the smaller torx bolts i tightened them up to a touch over 11nm. Problem solved. Not heard a creak since

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
I seem to remember tightening the larger bolts to 24nm as that was the limit of my wrench.

the smaller torx bolts i tightened them up to a touch over 11nm. Problem solved. Not heard a creak since

I guess yours must be a different model? Mine is a 2020 Stereo Hybrid 160. The motor is mounted with 6 bolts that have Torx Plus 40 heads.

I'd seen those figures before but I figured they might be for the last gen Bosch motor instead of this new one since it had different size bolts etc than what other people were describing.

BigJim

Sep 23, 2019
Anglesey

Yes, I manage to sort my issue (at the moment).
Adding new rubber pads to the side of the motor did the trick for me. My original ones were worn and must have caused the metal on metal creak.

My motor (2018) dropped out fine. Just three connectors.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I took mine into my LBS for a service. I mentioned the creak to the mechanic. I don't know what he did or tightened but it's been as quiet as a mouse ever since. worth every penny of the service as the creak had really started to bug me and there are Torx bolts on my motor that are tamper proof and really big, I couldn't "borrow" a torx plus key that size from work, T30 is as big as we go

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
I took mine into my LBS for a service. I mentioned the creak to the mechanic. I don't know what he did or tightened but it's been as quiet as a mouse ever since. worth every penny of the service as the creak had really started to bug me and there are Torx bolts on my motor that are tamper proof and really big, I couldn't "borrow" a torx plus key that size from work, T30 is as big as we go

Yeah, I bought the ones I needed from Amazon without any issues :)

Gazemtb

Dec 30, 2022
Burnham on sea

What’s are the torq sett in Nhs for the motor bolts on the cubes thanks

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
These are for my 2019 ie alloy frame

3x6mm Engine Mounting Bolts 25-30Nm
Torx T30 FRONT 13-15Nm
Torx T30 REAR 9-11Nm
Lock Ring 20-25Nm
Crank Arms 38-42Nm
Pedals 38-42Nm

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
From Bosch website. They may be different or may not be. They don’t bolt into the frame just threw it if I remember correctly
Someone else might know better

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Boschin sivuilta. Ne voivat olla erilaisia tai eivät ole. Ne eivät pultaudu runkoon, vain heittivät sen, jos muistan oikein
Joku muu voi tietää paremmin
Alumiinirunkoinen Cube itsellä ,ei narise.Hyvä puhdistus kosketuspintoihin kokemuksen tuomaan momenttin käsikiristys .Toimii

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles