Crashed my Como. What eMTB will fit a short woman?

Laura JD

Nov 8, 2022
Bay Area
have Trek women's XS mountain bike for years, Specialized Como with fat tires since March 2020, ride all over though not a mountain bike. Crashed hard. Yes stupid to ride Como on trails. Love the power. Any eMTBs that actually fit a small women? All the stand over heights seem very high. Would like to be able to bike but also stand over it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's a few ideas in here :

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Crashed hard. Yes stupid to ride Como on trails.

Yeah, the Como isn't a mountain bike by any stretch of the imagination, but it's cool that you're willing to push the envelope with it. You didn't mention your actual size, but all legitimate manufacturers publish the recommended rider size for their bikes. It shouldn't' be hard to figure out a bike that's in the ballpark for you.

You mentioned "standover." I don't think I've ever had a bike where I could hold the bike perpendicular to the ground, with my feet flat on the ground, and not have the top tube contacting... umm... those body parts that I'd rather not have in contact with the top tube. You learn to handle the bike in a way where that isn't the primary consideration.

Start by looking at the brands that are well represented in your area. Specialized and Giant are the big dogs. Boutique brands located on the west coast are Santa Cruz, Ibis, and Pivot. All are good.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This^.
My wife and daughter both(5’1”) fit a small Trek Powerfly. I sized the bike correctly for my wife but my daughter believed that both her feet should touch flat on the ground while she sat on the seat. My daughter rode like this for a few rides until I convinced her to raise the seat slightly. (1cm for correct fitment). She now understands the benefits of a property sized and fitted bike.
I added better dropper post to both bikes eventually.

Laura JD

Nov 8, 2022
Bay Area
Yeah, the Como isn't a mountain bike by any stretch of the imagination, but it's cool that you're willing to push the envelope with it. You didn't mention your actual size, but all legitimate manufacturers publish the recommended rider size for their bikes. It shouldn't' be hard to figure out a bike that's in the ballpark for you.

You mentioned "standover." I don't think I've ever had a bike where I could hold the bike perpendicular to the ground, with my feet flat on the ground, and not have the top tube contacting... umm... those body parts that I'd rather not have in contact with the top tube. You learn to handle the bike in a way where that isn't the primary consideration.

Start by looking at the brands that are well represented in your area. Specialized and Giant are the big dogs. Boutique brands located on the west coast are Santa Cruz, Ibis, and Pivot. All are good.
I'm 5'1" with ground to inseam 710mm. My first thought is a Levo S1, they list the standover as 752mm, I'm hoping the actual measurement near the seatpost is lower than that. I wish they listed the height at seatpost and at handlebar. The S1 comes with both 27" wheels and the only model available is the $9000 version so paying $2200 more for being short!! Or get the S2 with mullet 27/29. My Como has 32h wheels and no shocks so difficult on single track esp when they are muddy cow trails. I'm a dork but it's been insane fun during Covid shutdown. to go places like the Bolinas Ridge Trail. I like the Specialized motor, wonder how different the other motors would feel?

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm a dork but it's been insane fun during Covid shutdown.

Don't sweat it. You're not a real mountain biker until "normal" people start thinking you're a dork and an oddball. Both Specialized and Trek offer real mountain bikes in your size. My only advice is that you might want to shy away from Specialized's diminutive 35 Nm motor. Something in the 50-60 Nm range should be optimum for you. Battery size isn't as much a consideration as it is for those of us with larger and more rounded physiques.

Laura JD

Nov 8, 2022
Bay Area
Don't sweat it. You're not a real mountain biker until "normal" people start thinking you're a dork and an oddball. Both Specialized and Trek offer real mountain bikes in your size. My only advice is that you might want to shy away from Specialized's diminutive 35 Nm motor. Something in the 50-60 Nm range should be optimum for you. Battery size isn't as much a consideration as it is for those of us with larger and more rounded physiques.
Thanks for your support! Elbow chip fracture and ugly wound sliding out on steep gravel incline so might wear elbow pads in the future whichever bike I get next. Como has a 50 Nm motor so I'm definitely not interested in giving up power and getting an SL version (cheaper and comes in Specialized S1 size). My husband is in insanely good shape on a regular MTB so I wouldn't be able to keep up with him uphill with a weak motor. We checked into a hotel once after riding Nisene Marks in a downpour and we looked like mud-soaked rats. Definitely got some shocked looks from other guests ; )

Last edited:

Laura JD

Nov 8, 2022
Bay Area
This^.
My wife and daughter both(5’1”) fit a small Trek Powerfly. I sized the bike correctly for my wife but my daughter believed that both her feet should touch flat on the ground while she sat on the seat. My daughter rode like this for a few rides until I convinced her to raise the seat slightly. (1cm for correct fitment). She now understands the benefits of a property sized and fitted bike.
I added better dropper post to both bikes eventually.
Thanks for your thoughts, I'll have to try the Trek Powerfly. I still love my original Trek women's MTB for regular trails, fits really well, reach and standover are comfortable. I don't need to have my feet on the ground while in the saddle, but I'd like to be able to touch the ground when needed without hitting the bar or leaning over too far. Ride on streets to get to trails and if I'm stopped at a light, I'd going to stop and lean. What dropper post did you find worked for them?

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
My wife has a 21 kenevo that I bought for that reason. She doesn't jump or do serious dh but her ride is cush and she drops the seat when she stops for feet on the ground She also crashes a lot but I digress.....😅

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Well as a short-arse guy (160cm) with short legs, standover height is a topic close to my heart (or closer to the bits that matter ;-)
I ride a size XS Marin Rift Zone (which has 27.5" wheels), and when I was searching for an emtb I faced a similar problem.
I ended up getting an Orbea Rise in size Small, which despite having 29" wheels, has a standover height I can totally manage - and is an awesome bike too, I'm totally happy with it :-]
The Rift Zone always felt sketchy on steep climbs, the front wheel would skitter around, but the Rise feels planted and seems like it can handle anything - it's way more capable than I am ;-)
Good luck on your search - I'm sure you'll find the perfect bike for you.
A

Laura JD

Nov 8, 2022
Bay Area
This^.
I added better dropper posts to both bikes eventually.
What dropper post did you change to? I really like the size of the Trek Powerfly XS. I'm 5'1" inseam is 710 mm. My regular Trek MTB is an XS. I've ordered a Powerfly (can cancel order) but won't come in until April. My Como is fixed already, broken brake cables, bent derailer, and shifter all fixed, new chain. New helmet. Como is ready for me whenever Ortho says my shoulder AC sseparationis healed enough. so a couple of mmonthson indoor bike or swimming at a gym. Hate gyms.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
What dropper post did you change to? I really like the size of the Trek Powerfly XS. I'm 5'1" inseam is 710 mm. My regular Trek MTB is an XS. I've ordered a Powerfly (can cancel order) but won't come in until April. My Como is fixed already, broken brake cables, bent derailer, and shifter all fixed, new chain. New helmet. Como is ready for me whenever Ortho says my shoulder AC sseparationis healed enough. so a couple of mmonthson indoor bike or swimming at a gym. Hate gyms.
Yeah, gyms are the pits. And don't forget the elbow and knee joint protection. My shoulder AC separation required surgery with a Nottingham Surgilig and Ti bolt and the recovery time was soooo boring.

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
I have had a Levo and a Levo SL. First the Levo for 2 years then a Levo SL for 2 years. I have no idea of your weight, but for a smaller rider the Levo SL has power to spare. I can ride the Levo SL faster than the Levo on trails because I can handle the weight. I am 115 on a heavy day and have ridden for 30 years. When I first bought the Levo SL I thought I would have to always be in turbo, nope my settings right now are 35 45 60. Your weight makes a huge difference. The only reason I would consider a full Levo again would be for flat out fire road rides. Have fun!

Laura JD

Nov 8, 2022
Bay Area
I have had a Levo and a Levo SL. First the Levo for 2 years then a Levo SL for 2 years. I have no idea of your weight, but for a smaller rider the Levo SL has power to spare. I can ride the Levo SL faster than the Levo on trails because I can handle the weight. I am 115 on a heavy day and have ridden for 30 years. When I first bought the Levo SL I thought I would have to always be in turbo, nope my settings right now are 35 45 60. Your weight makes a huge difference. The only reason I would consider a full Levo again would be for flat out fire road rides. Have fun!
Good to know that the Levo SL feels strong enough. My local bike store only has Levo to try out, will try to find a Levo SL to test ride.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Installed a KS 100mm (Jenson?) on my daughter’s bike. 8C6C3F71-9610-48D9-91F4-792CC3CB3C26.jpeg
External/internal cabling. Decent price too. Fit the Trek Powerfly. Can’t remember why I chose this one …but it worked fine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles