Levo Gen 2 Cranks and Pedals Change

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
Since I'm riding rockier trails now, I'd like to switch back to my OE 160mm cranks (from 175 mm) to avoid the dreaded pedal strikes. After searching here and youtube.com, I am still unsure which way to push my 8mm allen/hex to loosen my pedals and cranks for removal. I know the pedals are threaded differently i.e. drive side traditional 'lefty loosey' while other side pedals are reverse (tighten towards front wheel/loosen towards rear wheel).
This approach did not yield results after moderate effort and I decided to inquire before I potentially further tighten the pedals. Same goes for the cranks.

Any DIY brother riders who can confirm or deny this method on a 2nd Gen Levo Turbo Comp Carbon?

Many thx in advance,
MiTC

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Re pedals...correct providing you are viewing direction from the outside of the pedal. Both cranks are normal thread.....anti clockwise to undo ...if self extracting that will remove the crank.....if not self extracting you will have to remove the bolts and then use a puller.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
the crank bolts feel like they are tightening but its the self extractor mechanism. Just keep going slowly with a well fitting tool and it will release.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks. Please tell me what "self-extracting" means and a good example of a "puller".

:sneaky:
Self extracting cranks have a built in extraction system which pulls the crank off the splined spindle as you unscrew the 8mm hex. If the crank is not self extracting the 8mm bolt merely holds the crank on the spindle and after it is unscrewed you then use a puller to pull the crank off. If you do not know how to recognise which type you have do a YT search...park tools do a video on the subject

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles