Crank bolt keep coming loose

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I have 2020 Orbea Wild FS H30. The right side crank bolt keep coming loose. First time i notices it after about my 4th ride. I tightened it without torque wrench and it came loose the next ride. I torqued it to 35 ft. Lbs, and still came loose after the next ride. Then I put blue loctite and torqued it this time to 40 ft.lb. It came loose after 2 rides. I took the bolt out and cleaned it completely. Put a blue loctite and torqued it to 45 ft.lb. Came loose again after 3 rides. I don’t often get a pedal strike. In fact very rare. Out of al those rides only one ride had multiple pedal strike.

Should I go back to LBS and ask them to figure it out? Or am I missing something? All these time the left crank bolt never came loose once!

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Yes I did leave it overnight. I’m giving it another go, and this time I increased the torque by 3 ft.lb. Also will leave the loctite for 5 nights this time. Not intentional but I have to leave out of town so can’t use the bike. Works perfect as timing goes

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I'm not sure which cranks you have but its possible that you might have wear on the splines of the cranks themselves.

Or maybe your torque wrench is not reading correctly?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Isis? My hope one comes loose. I blobbed some paint on the bolt and its Indicating it's another 1/2 turn in compared to when I first fitted it. So I can only assume the crank was never seated property originally.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
That is a lot of torque, Levo specified torque for these bolts is 30ft lbs, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Dunno whether it will help, but Park Tool has recently done a video about this problem for square taper cranks...

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I'm not sure which cranks you have but its possible that you might have wear on the splines of the cranks themselves.

It’s Etherteen Plus Alu 160 mm

My torque wrench is calibrated yearly as it is imperative for me to have a good torque wrench as I build race shocks for racing cars. But I’ll recheck them again just in case.

Hi Mate,

I have had the same problem with the non-drive side crank dropping off my wild FS M10 mid-ride. After getting it tightened at the bike shop it reoccurred with me having to tighten it on the trailside. I emailed Orbea and it turns out there is a known problem with e13 cranks and the bosch gen 4 motor. My bike is currently in the process of getting a replacement crankset under warranty but it may not solve the problem of poor engineering/compatibility as GrahamPaul suggests above. If the warranty does not fix it then I may try the Miranda cranks which may help solve the low BB height=pedal strike issue to boot. Try emailing Orbea in Spain as it's their best interests to fix this problem from a safety perspective.

Cheers,

Gaz

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles