Praxis crank bolts

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi all removing crank bolt as 8mm slightly rounded. The 5/8ths outer is left hand thread on right crank. So presume left hand may be right hand thread. Not willing to come out not a great design about 4mm to get a purchase on. Can feel this leading to new cranks.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as the 8mm crank bolt is concerned non drive side is anti clockwise to remove. I never had the need to remove the drive side crank but I believe it is also anti clockwise to remove. The extractor bolt is fixed at a pretty low torque so once the cranks are removed it should be easy to determine if the they are normal RH tighten or not. You are also not then restricted in terms of how far you insert the removal tool.

I never needed to touch the extractor bolts so no idea if they are standard or reverse thread............are they marked with an arrow...or you may be a ble to see the beginning or end of the thread and determine it that way.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
As far as the 8mm crank bolt is concerned non drive side is anti clockwise to remove. I never had the need to remove the drive side crank but I believe it is also anti clockwise to remove. The extractor bolt is fixed at a pretty low torque so once the cranks are removed it should be easy to determine if the they are normal RH tighten or not. You are also not then restricted in terms of how far you insert the removal tool.

I never needed to touch the extractor bolts so no idea if they are standard or reverse thread............are they marked with an arrow...or you may be a ble to see the beginning or end of the thread and determine it that way.
Just in case you ever need to know Praxis got back to me they both come out by turning clockwise . One was ok but the other not budging it jumps out . Need a socket rather than allen key. Locally every place ive looked nothing bigger than 3/8ths socket available. Get something online though.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would bet 16mm fits..............in fact it probably is 16mm rather than 5/8........why would they use an imperial extractor and a metric crank bolt!!

or use 2 nuts and some threaded bar or a box spanner.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I would bet 16mm fits..............in fact it probably is 16mm rather than 5/8........why would they use an imperial extractor and a metric crank bolt!!
Its the 4mm depth that's the problem its not a lot to hold it in wants to jump out .

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Its the 4mm depth that's the problem its not a lot to hold it in wants to jump out .
remove the cranks first then the crank bolt is not sat against the back of the extractor and whatever tool you use will go all the way through. If the crank bolt is too damaged to be a ble to remove the crank you will still have the same problem even with the extractor bolt removed because it does not have a hex head. You may have to sacrifice a 8mm allen by aralditing it into the crank bolt if that is the case.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
remove the cranks first then the crank bolt is not sat against the back of the extractor and whatever tool you use will go all the way through.
Allen key can only go in 4 mm then it hits the 8mm and cant go any further. thats the issue.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am suggesting there should be a little gap between the 8mm and the extractor nut when the crank is off..........if you also make sure whatever you use to undo the extractor does not have a chamfered leading edge ( allen keys usually do) you can maximise the contact area. The extractor nut is not very thick anyway. Maybe use a 5/8 bolt head and if that is chamfered machine it flat. The extractor nut should not be very tight but if it is then feed some penetrating oil onto it and leave for a few hours before trying again.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I am suggesting there should be a little gap between the 8mm and the extractor nut when the crank is off..........if you also make sure whatever you use to undo the extractor does not have a chamfered leading edge ( allen keys usually do) you can maximise the contact area. The extractor nut is not very thick anyway. Maybe use a 5/8 bolt head and if that is chamfered machine it flat. The extractor nut should not be very tight but if it is then feed some penetrating oil onto it and leave for a few hours before trying again.
Know what you mean . Its all back together now. Torque setting for it is 20nm thats a lot to me ?? . I will get it next time. Bolts unavailable for now online.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles