Considering buying Commencal Meta Power 650B+ Fox

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Sorry I posted this in the wrong place really , this thread has really got off topic , sorry robotaff ? but please come back and let us know how the choice between the bikes is going , not being aware of the canyon when I bought my commencal I wonder what I may have chosen given the choice again . ?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I just looked up the Commencal Meta Power Race 650B+ here in Australia. It is a very nice bit of kit at a price that will sell. It's real competition (in the Shimano motor type) will be the Merida E-160 900E. I'd definitely consider the Commencal, looks like a great bike.

All the best with your purchase, and definitely update us with a ride review and juicy photos :)

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I am considering the Commencal Meta Power 650B+ Fox or a Canyon Spectral ON 8.0, has anyone any thoughts which is the best bike for the money?

I have ridden the Merida E900 which is great but expensive, approx. £2k more even if it has a great spec.

I just took a look on the Commencal news site, and they are releasing a new bike in June . . . the Meta Power 29 Race :

29-inches of POWER is in your hands!

1525469988039.png

Looks pretty sexy, updated geometries etc and varying components and of course the 29" wheelset.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
A have a Meta Power Essential I bought it before Canyon announced the Spectral ON. I was at Garda MTB Festival last weekend and Canyon was there with all their new MTBs including the ebike. They had around 10 Spectral ON test bikes but I had no chance riding them. They were very popular and I didn't want to spend the time hunting one down. In flesh, the Spectral ON looks better than in pictures but I would still choose the Meta over pretty much everything with Shimano system.

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
Still to make up my mind, spec slightly higher on Commencal and I like the look of it. Canyon On 8 slightly cheaper and looks very easy to assemble straight from the box. Canyon also looks to have sorted protection to the motor tidier and is more radical with the 650+/29ner wheel combo.Canyon also talk of service centres, do you know if they have one in the UK? What service back up can Commencal provide?
Still a bit to think about as well as availability as once I make a decision I will no doubt get frustrated with a long lead time.
Thanks for the replies so far most helpful.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Still to make up my mind, spec slightly higher on Commencal and I like the look of it. Canyon On 8 slightly cheaper and looks very easy to assemble straight from the box. Canyon also looks to have sorted protection to the motor tidier and is more radical with the 650+/29ner wheel combo.Canyon also talk of service centres, do you know if they have one in the UK? What service back up can Commencal provide?
Still a bit to think about as well as availability as once I make a decision I will no doubt get frustrated with a long lead time.
I think availability is possibly the biggest question on all of them . I can only speak for commencal , but they did stick to thier dates and delivery and tracking was pretty good . Assembling out the box was easy enough , much the same as Any other bike I’ve bought but better protected and packaged than the uk deliveries I’ve had .
There were 5 of us all bought bikes a selection of the 3 top models , but not on same order . As for problems it seems most of these mail order bikes come with brakes swapped to us spec , but they are easily swapped over .
Maxis had a faulty batch of the rear hi roller tyres , only one of our 5 was effected but commencal sent us all a brand new rear tyre if our choice .
I had a minor problem with the magnet setting distance on my spoke and commencal were return of email fast and very concerned to sort it out
500 hard off road winter miles later the bike is great , I am just doing a service and there’s no problems arising exept worn out chain and brakes etc but both brake pads and chain are as cheap as shimano . I like the robust quality of the ex1 8 speed and love it most of the time but there is the odd time when Iam with normal bikes , usually racing them up hill that I wish I had more gears .
You won’t get shop back up unless you pay for it I guess that’s where the big shop brands win if your not a diy mechanic , but the price saving is still way more even if you paid a shop to do your set up and build etc .

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Meta was also very easy to assemble my only complain would be the box that the bike came in. It wasn't meant to be for the weight of an ebike and it was almost in pieces. Luckily the bike had proper protection inside the box so no damage to anything.
I had three Canyon bikes so far and can't notice any difference in assembling them but Canyon made a box specifically for the Spectral ON.
I'm not sure if the Spectral is more radical than the Meta Power as all variations of the Meta come with piggyback shocks while none of the Spectrals. Also, if you check the classification of the Spectral ON, Canyon puts it in category 3 while the analog Spectral is in category 4. (If you open any of the models and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see the category and the description.) The higher category means the bike is designed for bigger jumps, etc...
I'm not from the UK but as I read Canyon has service center there. Through the years I had a couple of warranty claims with the bikes and they sorted everything out to my satisfaction. They sent me a return label, UPS picked up the package at my house and brought it back. I would - and probably will - buy from them without any second thought.
I have no experience with Commencal's after sales service. They were cool during the ordering process and they called me when I received the bike if everything is OK. Seemingly they are a much smaller company than Canyon and I always talked and emailed with the same guy.
I am my own mechanic so maintaining, fixing the bikes is not a problem I only use the warranty/customer service for frame and suspension failures. As I'm aware Shimano will handle any warranty issues with the engine and battery.

Whatever you decide you won't go wrong with either bike. From the Spectral I like the 7.0 as I prefer Shimano brakes over Sram every day and the 8 speed EX1 with the big jumps between the gears is not the best choice for the E8000's characteristics and my pedaling style.
Also, I just ripped off my rear mech in the forest (the wheel picked up a small branch) and a Shimano XT costs less than half than an EX1. I have Sram X01 shifting and now it's a good time to consider switching to Shimano. :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is a road bike shop near me where they will professionally measure you using some sort of crazy jig you sit on, set up the order with Canyon/Commencal/whoever, and then get the bike delivered to them, build it, set it up for you, and then service it as and when. I think they charge 100 quid for the service.

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
I think availability is possibly the biggest question on all of them . I can only speak for commencal , but they did stick to thier dates and delivery and tracking was pretty good . Assembling out the box was easy enough , much the same as Any other bike I’ve bought but better protected and packaged than the uk deliveries I’ve had .
There were 5 of us all bought bikes a selection of the 3 top models , but not on same order . As for problems it seems most of these mail order bikes come with brakes swapped to us spec , but they are easily swapped over .
Maxis had a faulty batch of the rear hi roller tyres , only one of our 5 was effected but commencal sent us all a brand new rear tyre if our choice .
I had a minor problem with the magnet setting distance on my spoke and commencal were return of email fast and very concerned to sort it out
500 hard off road winter miles later the bike is great , I am just doing a service and there’s no problems arising exept worn out chain and brakes etc but both brake pads and chain are as cheap as shimano . I like the robust quality of the ex1 8 speed and love it most of the time but there is the odd time when Iam with normal bikes , usually racing them up hill that I wish I had more gears .
You won’t get shop back up unless you pay for it I guess that’s where the big shop brands win if your not a diy mechanic , but the price saving is still way more even if you paid a shop to do your set up and build etc .
Meta looking favourite at the moment evening slightly more expensive it I keep reading about the fun mentioned in connection with its ride not just its vale or money and great kit.

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
Canyon/Commencal and all the online direct sales companies send their bikes PDI'd with very minimal assembly required.
Basically at most you'll have to fit the wheels, pedals and bars. Then et the correct height for your seatpost/saddle and controls (Bar roll/height and control spacing/angle) to personal preference. All things you really want to know how to do anyway.

Retul etc. fitting services don't really work for mtb. (it could be argued they don't work for road either but I'm not going into that here)
Next you want to set up your suspension. starting with setting sag (adding pressure with shock pump or changing the coil springs).
Set up sag with all damping adjusters full open. Then adjust rebound damping speed to taste. Then if required adjust compression settings. (returning to rebound to assess if the compression setting have affected your rebound preference)
Most mail order bikes come with the tyres either over inflaed of not inflated at all. Tyre pressure is very personal preference and something you should definitely experiment with.

This vid shows you how easy basic set-up is

As in the video. it often takes as long to remove/open all the packaging as it does to fit the parts.
some manufacturers send the bikes with ALL the tools you require. others send some or none.
Seems straight forward enough! Feel a decision coming on. 80% Meta

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have to say my Vitus came very well PDI'd out the box - i took it apart anyway, but everything was torqued up and set up well - all i really had to do was swap out the parts i wanted, and adjust the controls

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
1. Christ, could everyone just get a grip before this place falls into the trap of so many other forums? Bickering just makes a lot of people with valid input not bother and stagnation results. There's a lot of ebike haters out there, the last thing we need is petty infighting.

2. I'm told the Canyon ebike service centre will be at their Leatherhead HQ which will deal with all servicing and warranty work.

3. G'night!

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
You were probably too busy answering a question nobody asked to notice.
Not really looked at the Virtus, it only came to my attention late in the selection process and never really gave it a thought.
Having got one, what are your thoughts on it’s handling, kit, Value for money?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You were probably too busy answering a question nobody asked to notice.
Not really looked at the Virtus, it only came to my attention late in the selection process and never really gave it a thought.
Having got one, what are your thoughts on it’s handling, kit, Value for money?

Sorry fella, it’s @Gary who’s got the Vitus, not me.

FWIW, it was very high on my shortlist but the Trek came up at a price I couldn’t resist (although given the premature motor failure maybe I should have...)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Vitus is great, obviously it’s all personal opinion but I find it s a very confidence inspiring bike, which I guess is down to the geometry and suspension.

All I would say is that’s is good as anything else out there with a similar spec, regardless of price.

I went for it because having an easily removable battery was key for me so i can charge it in the house, was put off the canyon because of the long waiting times, and ultimately the price of the Vitus meant I had money to spare to upgrade some of the minor parts such as bars, saddle etc! If I went down the Commencal route I would have had to go for the fox factory kit as I am a sucker for kashima!

If I was looking now I would be seriously tempted by the new Ghost.

Last edited:

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
The Vitus is great, obviously it’s all personal opinion but I find it s a very confidence inspiring bike, which I guess is down to the geometry and suspension.

All I would say is that’s is good as anything else out there with a similar spec, regardless of price.

I went for it because having an easily removable battery was key for me so i can charge it in the house, was put off the canyon because of the long waiting times, and ultimately the price of the Vitus meant I had money to spare to upgrade some of the minor parts such as bars, saddle etc! If I went down the Commencal route I would have had to go for the fox factory kit as I am a sucker for kashima!

If I was looking now I would be seriously tempted by the new Ghost.
Not considered the ghost, am I just adding to the confusion?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
realistically Commencal have been in the ebike game for a while, and have a very god rep on here, and other forums. The Canyon, has glowing reviews in the press, but i have yet to see any real world or long term views on it. If it matters i think the commercials look nicer!

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
realistically Commencal have been in the ebike game for a while, and have a very god rep on here, and other forums. The Canyon, has glowing reviews in the press, but i have yet to see any real world or long term views on it. If it matters i think the commercials look nicer!
Actually this is their first attempt but they are no fools and if you read the blurb they explain why they waited to join in and if you have been keeping up with current affairs re geometry you will also understand.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Actually this is their first attempt but they are no fools and if you read the blurb they explain why they waited to join in and if you have been keeping up with current affairs re geometry you will also understand.

Yeah i have read all the info and reviews and its clear thy have put put some thought into it, and was pretty set on one for a long time, i just meant i haven't seen any real user reviews yet of anyone whose not a journalist putting in some time on one

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Garys right on that, there are a lot of threads on pink bike, single track etc on the subject. Mind you most sales direct brands have similar ups and downs, the canyon thread on here isn't exactly a stunning advert for them!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i see you can buy frame only now frame battery and motor is about 2.5k

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Intersting - in the market for a hardtail and would pull the trigger now if they sold frame kit for that, but look like they only do FS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles