commencal 2021

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Damper upgrade = $300 USD. Best option?
Are you asking if I think the Essential build with a fork damper upgrade is the best option?

I think it’s a really good option, but I would also want to upgrade the shock as well. For a 160/170mm ebike, I want a little bit more adjustment on my shock than a dpx2 performance. Also I’m not even sure you can buy a grip2 damper for a fox 38 ebike. The hubs are also sub-par on the Essential.

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
I pre-ordered a few minutes ago. Like everyone else I'm hoping we see shipments before Dec. I talked to them yesterday and they weren't even sure if pre-order would be 1-2 weeks away. It seems clear they are guessing at information like the rest of us (at least the sales reps). The guy I talked too said shipment no earlier than October no later than December. Based on what everyone else here has said and my buddy who also called yesterday the msg the reps are getting doesn't seem clear or exact.

Jaguilar

Sep 3, 2020
California
same drop as 2020, i computed bb height theoretically as 352mm when i entered the 2021 into geometry geeks based on Tire Size Calculator with 2.4" oem tires (maybe @RobRidesEMTB can verify empirically)
note the 2021 stack is -20mm vs 2020
Thanks guys something to think about considering yt decoy 29 bb height is only 339 i believe. .

Drleduc

Aug 19, 2020
Canada
This info directly from a source at Commencal yesterday:
"The reason why the 2021 META POWER models are not available for purchase or or demo yet is that Shimano has informed us about an embargo on their newest EP800 motor fitted on all the models. Out of all the motors Shimano produced they have discovered one minor issue with one of the units and they have decided to replace all the EP800 motors on all the META POWER models. These will available around the end of October and we will do our absolute best to have the bikes ready to ride early in December. Further updates will be available later on this year"

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
This info directly from a source at Commencal yesterday:
"The reason why the 2021 META POWER models are not available for purchase or or demo yet is that Shimano has informed us about an embargo on their newest EP800 motor fitted on all the models. Out of all the motors Shimano produced they have discovered one minor issue with one of the units and they have decided to replace all the EP800 motors on all the META POWER models. These will available around the end of October and we will do our absolute best to have the bikes ready to ride early in December. Further updates will be available later on this year"
Wow. Well in that case "Hey Shimano, please fix the noisy clattering while you're at it, during the embargo"

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
There has to be some stupid little washer or plastic bit that can be added to hold the rattle in check.

Or some creative engineer type can sell a fix and become a millionaire...

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
So i got a good deal on a Merida e160 9000 and they're arriving in Australia in October. Commencal were saying January for a Meta Essential and the spec on the e160 9000 blows the Meta Essential out of the water. Now working a two bike deal so my girlfriend can get the 8000.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
So i got a good deal on a Merida e160 9000 and they're arriving in Australia in October. Commencal were saying January for a Meta Essential and the spec on the e160 9000 blows the Meta Essential out of the water. Now working a two bike deal so my girlfriend can get the 8000.
Merida 9000 only available via eBay here in the US and cost $8400 with 500wh battery. Commencal signature with better spec $7100. No brainer.

vham777

Oct 8, 2018
Switzerland
@Drleduc i can confirm this - that's what commencal also told me aaaand btw i asked them about the noise and they told me that any of the commencal riders did hear the clunking noise... what do we think about that?

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
It's got the EP8 and 630wh battery. My budget put me in line with the Essential and this 9000 blows the Essential out of the park spec wise. Plus I got a great deal on it.

the Merida has a very different design philosophy & geometry to the Commencal Meta series, I'd call the Merida short/high/steep/regressive compared to the Meta. 27.5 max rear wheel size, shorter chainstays, slacker effective seat tube angle, longer offset fork etc:

If Amaury were forced to ride it he would cry..

I'm not saying progressive geometry is the best for every rider, but it's definitely a trend for aggressive bikes led by manufacturers such as Transition & Commencal. this is the best description I've read:

I would argue that the Merida isn't directly comparable to the Commencal beyond being a 2021 EP8 emtb & it's (unintentionally) misleading to potentially undiscerning readers to include it in this Commencal thread--it would fit better in a broader 2021 emtb release thread.

I personally like to support brands that lead instead of follow + who sponsor riders for the style of riding I aspire to!

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
The Merida e160 is more of a day to day trail bike, Commencal’s ebikes are more of an aggressive enduro style with longer, slack geo and more suspension travel.
it’s like comparing donkeys to race horses.

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
The Merida e160 is more of a day to day trail bike, Commencal’s ebikes are more of an aggressive enduro style with longer, slack geo and more suspension travel.
it’s like comparing donkeys to race horses.
Shows how little you know ?

10mm more travel and a slacker head angle means sweet fa in the real world to everyday people. The Essential build spec didn't do it for me and the 9000 represented much better value for what I got it for. Plus I don't have to wait until next year.

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
Shows how little you know ?

10mm more travel and a slacker head angle means sweet fa in the real world to everyday people. The Essential build spec didn't do it for me and the 9000 represented much better value for what I got it for. Plus I don't have to wait until next year.

Obviously the geo numbers make little to no sense to you.... anyways enjoy your Merida. Both are good bikes just very different in my opinion.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Are you asking if I think the Essential build with a fork damper upgrade is the best option?

I think it’s a really good option, but I would also want to upgrade the shock as well. For a 160/170mm ebike, I want a little bit more adjustment on my shock than a dpx2 performance. Also I’m not even sure you can buy a grip2 damper for a fox 38 ebike. The hubs are also sub-par on the Essential.

The Fox 38 Factory eBike fork comes standard with the redesigned Grip 2 damper. Personally, I don't think the eBike specific forks are necessary. I put a regular Fox 38 Factory on my Pivot Shuttle and it's plenty of fork.

Regarding your shock upgrade comment, I agree. I went with the X2 on both my eMTB and regular MTB to mate up nicely with my Grip 2 forks. Very nice combination.

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Obviously the geo numbers make little to no sense to you.... anyways enjoy your Merida. Both are good bikes just very different in my opinion.
Go to say I'm with Duggan on this one... 2 degrees slacker head angle in particular might not sound like much, but in reality it makes a MASSIVE difference to how the bike rides. The Merida is a nice bike, but it's a bit of a different prospect than a Meta (bit like comparing a Levo to a Kenevo)

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
We have some pretty steep gnarly trails here in OC, and I'm not one to fly around on jumps, so downhill performance is very important for my riding rather than the "tossability' of something like the Merida (which is not really a viable option in US anyway, no service at all etc). I had a 2019 Metapower 29 and loved it, but now I need a more stealth design, and wasn't a big fan of the Code brakes. They faded on a 7 mile 4000 ft descent. Not sure XT would have fared better, but we'll see now.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Placed an order for a team 29, but due to the small frame it wont be ready till Feb! I called HQ and they said you could cancel anytime but this gets you in the queue

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
Curious if anyone is ordering the SX or why everyone is ordering the 29 over the SX? I’ve always been a 29er guy and have a 2021 XXL sentinel now, it has a 520ish reach and fits me perfect at 6’6” with a long wingspan. I was dead set on getting the 29 because I thought it was going to have a longer geo like all their new bikes do and was disappointed when i saw it wasn’t updated and had a lower stack height. The SX has a 510 reach with a 40 mm stem and the 29 has a 500 with a 50 mm stem stock. Do the numbers lie and the bikes will feel similar? Never really ridden 27.5 besides a couple of my friends and it’s a lot to just pull the trigger on but don’t want to spend 7k for the 29 and have it be too small even with a 50mm stem. Anyone know any other brands coming out with longer reach? Norco VLT has a 515 reach and hopping they will update to the new motor and geo however they said even their max height it 6’3”. So anyone ridden both a SX and the 29’for previous years? Thanks

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Curious if anyone is ordering the SX or why everyone is ordering the 29 over the SX?
I started out mtb on a 27.5 giant hardtail entry level. I fell in love with mtb on that bike. Next bike was a 29r full sus YT Jeffsy, and absolutely loved it. I've been able to ride much harder things with a much more confidence inspiring bike. I like the idea that once you get it rolling it's faster and can roll over things slightly easier(on a 29r). As for the geo the reach is a bit longer than my Jeffsy it's longer travel. So riding over tech where I'm at will be much more chill. Can't wait to ride it, suck that we'll be waiting to dec.
Will be interesting to see whats causing the calamitous clanking noises in the ep8, can't imagine how it isn't harmful to the motor.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Metapower 29's selling out? Looks like only medium and XL now available online in US for Signature?

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Just placed a pre-order on a 2021 Team Edition 29er. Now we wait.
Curious about your choice of team vs signature. More price related? Kit? Looks? I've been going back and forth between the two daily.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Don't wait too long, I was looking at the signature but the small frame sold out in less than 24hrs so I pulled the trigger on the team....now those are sold out in small too....crazy that with a 3-5month wait before delivery these are already gone

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
Hey guys.
Anyone like me not able to make the decision between the 29 and SX? ...
It’s a really tough choice as the geos are really similar as well as travel. I’m probably a SX type of rider, but the geo of the 29 is really agressive, so thinking wether it’s not time to give 29 a shot.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Hey guys.
Anyone like me not able to make the decision between the 29 and SX? ...
It’s a really tough choice as the geos are really similar as well as travel. I’m probably a SX type of rider, but the geo of the 29 is really agressive, so thinking wether it’s not time to give 29 a shot.
Go for the 29 and "crush all your enemies" in front of you, like rocks and roots.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles