commencal 2021

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Weight is a slight concern for me as well. My Decoy 29 weighs 56 lbs after I got it all built up, and my friend has a Tazer that weighs 46 lbs and it feels like a huge difference.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me a significant weight difference (e.g 2kg plus) does make a big difference, but at the same time when a bike is specced with ZEB's/38's, 220mm rotors, and all-round burly components its never going to be a lightweight and with full on Enduro bikes the geometry and suspension are still the critical factors for me in making a buying decision.

nono

Apr 24, 2020
South of France
Leak of the 2021 model before end of august ?
VTT ÉlectriqueTout-Suspendu Commencal Meta Power 29 Essential Shimano SLX 12 V Héritage Vert 2021 à partir de 5 999,00 € au lieu de 5 999,00 €

metap29.jpg

with some Shimano disclosure inside also ?
meta29comp.jpg

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Looks like there's a slightly bigger gap between the rear tire and chainring, which hints of a longer CS.

The tip of saddle is forward of the crank spindle too, which hints of a steeper STA.

I like how far the front axle is from the BB and crank arm. Good sign to me if the distance from rear axle to crank-pedal threads (at 3 o'clock) is a bit shorter than the distance from those pedal threads to the front axle.

Only thing I dislike is the seat tube length and the reduced seat post insertion length, but I guess having the seat tube curve back gives room for the water bottle. I like how Whyte designed their straight seat tube.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
Wow, I love it. :love: I'm digging that green.

$6999 converted to US $. I'm curious to see what the next model down (Ride or Origin) will be spec'd with and what its pricing will be. Sub $6k would be nice.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I think the Essential (green above) is the base model right? SLX/Deore/Fox 38. Team is SRAM GX Eagle, ZEB Ultimate, Code RSC. So what's in the middle?

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
If it follows their acoustic models, the Essential is kind of like a "middle" build. Their Power bikes haven't been consistent with the builds. 2019 offered Race and Essential builds (Race being more expensive). 2020 offered Essential and Ride builds (Essential being more expensive). To make it more confusing, their Power SX builds are usually higher end compared to the Essential. SX adds the Signature build to their line.

The META TR 29 builds are: Signature, Race, Essential, Ride, Origin.
The META AM 29 builds: Ohlins, Team, Essential, Origin

It would be nice to have a "Ride" build with a Fox 36 or Rockshox Lyrik at a pricepoint closser to $5999. But I still want that 630wh battery!

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
In 2019 there was a model above Race (which I bought) I think Signature, that was full Fox Factory. So at least 3 levels for 2019. I will probably go "team" or Signature or whatever the hell as there is only a $500 difference according to US rep.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Anyone know what the 2021 Meta Power SX is all about?

Just wheel size or bit less suspension too? ?

Last edited:

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
View attachment 37466
Any new leaks or info on the bikes? Came across this one on fb. So not exactly sure how credible it is. Haha looks good though!

Doesn't look like the EP8 motor in that pic.

I prefer the shape of the frame just above the motor though, with the slight angle up vs the other 2021 pic of the Essential MT29, motor seems like it wants to be angled up slightly more... purely for aesthetics mind...

1596707037017.png

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
Weight is a slight concern for me as well. My Decoy 29 weighs 56 lbs after I got it all built up, and my friend has a Tazer that weighs 46 lbs and it feels like a huge difference.
Where the weight is makes a lot of difference. I had a decoy and never worried about front wheel grip but it was an absolute pig to lift the front end over anything. Now i ride another brand - same weight - but a lot more pop and playfullness in the front. Have washed out a couple of times thou and learned to actively weigh the front.... i think ;-)

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Where the weight is makes a lot of difference. I had a decoy and never worried about front wheel grip but it was an absolute pig to lift the front end over anything. Now i ride another brand - same weight - but a lot more pop and playfullness in the front. Have washed out a couple of times thou and learned to actively weigh the front.... i think ;-)
Agreed. But having an ebike that is the same power and battery size, but 10lbs lighter than mine is very appealing.

Obviously that won’t be the new commencal, but will have to see if the price and specs of that bike are good enough to outweigh (literally) the weight difference of few other lighter ebikes on the market.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Agreed. But having an ebike that is the same power and battery size, but 10lbs lighter than mine is very appealing.

Obviously that won’t be the new commencal, but will have to see if the price and specs of that bike are good enough to outweigh (literally) the weight difference of few other lighter ebikes on the market.
What other lighter bikes are you looking at? I'm thinking Trek 9.8, which is just under 50lbs. Not sure 3 lbs or so (+/- 1 kg) will make a big difference in my decision. Any well equipped bikes in the same price range ($7k US) that are substantially lighter, say 45 lbs? I've seen some reviews of bikes <20kg, but not brands I'm familiar with, many in UK/EU

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
What other lighter bikes are you looking at? I'm thinking Trek 9.8, which is just under 50lbs. Not sure 3 lbs or so (+/- 1 kg) will make a big difference in my decision. Any well equipped bikes in the same price range ($7k US) that are substantially lighter, say 45 lbs? I've seen some reviews of bikes <20kg, but not brands I'm familiar with, many in UK/EU
Not too sure honestly. The Intense Tazer is 46lbs and comes spec’d with nice parts for a reasonable price. Other than that, I haven’t done too much research. Just counting down the days until the Commencal is released.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Not too sure honestly. The Intense Tazer is 46lbs and comes spec’d with nice parts for a reasonable price. Other than that, I haven’t done too much research. Just counting down the days until the Commencal is released.
Intense Tazer looks like a pregnant guppy. Not going to work for me at all where emtb's are illegal on trails. Trek and Commencal could pass for analog from not-too-close.

Dmh_875

May 10, 2020
straya
Intense Tazer looks like a pregnant guppy. Not going to work for me at all where emtb's are illegal on trails.
This is by far the best description of a tazer ever :LOL:

Its always been the disappointment with that bike. Intense have everything to make a epic bike but then came up with the maternity bike

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Doesn't look like the EP8 motor in that pic.

I prefer the shape of the frame just above the motor though, with the slight angle up vs the other 2021 pic of the Essential MT29, motor seems like it wants to be angled up slightly more... purely for aesthetics mind...

View attachment 37475
I think this is the real deal look for 2021, with EP8. I am liking this! Much better than 2020. Less bulky. Cleaner.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
This is by far the best description of a tazer ever :LOL:

Its always been the disappointment with that bike. Intense have everything to make a epic bike but then came up with the maternity bike
Not defending it too hard as I’m not a fan of Intense in general. But other than looks what don’t you like about it?

weight is good.
price/spec is good.
suspension design is good.
battery is super portable so you can carry one in a backpack unlike many bikes, which is good.

I know two people with them and they both love it. We call it the pregnant airplane. Which is a kinda weird descriptor word, but it stuck.

CCF18ADC-031E-4F90-A262-269B209861B9.jpeg

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
New Shimano EP8 may have 756 Wh battery option?? This is a press release from Focus for the new Jam2 (actually looks pretty good)

"Conquers new mountains: the FOCUS JAM² is all-out fun on the trail. Supported by the Bosch Performance CX (Gen.4) e-drive with 625 Wh or the Shimano e-drive with up to 756 Wh, you can ride more trails in the same time."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles