Code RSC’s vs. M8020’s?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
My bike (2018 s-works) is back in at the LBS for the second time for it’s brakes. Same issue both times where the lever feels spongy and only returns to its rest position really slowly. The first time they sent the brakes back to SRAM and they replaced them saying the pistons were seizing. This time the LBS told Spesh I wasn’t happy with them (but only for that reason, otherwise they are the best brakes I’ve ever had) and in return Spesh offered me M8020’s as a replacement....

Which would you choose and why?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
My bike (2018 s-works) is back in at the LBS for the second time for it’s brakes. Same issue both times where the lever feels spongy and only returns to its rest position really slowly. The first time they sent the brakes back to SRAM and they replaced them saying the pistons were seizing. This time the LBS told Spesh I wasn’t happy with them (but only for that reason, otherwise they are the best brakes I’ve ever had) and in return Spesh offered me M8020’s as a replacement....

Which would you choose and why?
I would happily choose the M8020. My enduro came with Guide RS and I gave them a chance but the plunger stuck in the lever in warm weather, not enough power on long mountain descents, fiddly lever reach adjustment and I didn't like the lever shape either. Changed it to Saints and no more problems. After rebuilding one of the levers I put the Guides on my XC bike which I was selling.
My Meta Power came with Guide RE (Guide R lever and old Code caliper) but after using Saints for years I couldn't get used to them I just cannot stand the feel of the SRAM brakes. I like their sleek look but that's where it ends for me.
The new Code RSC should be better in theory than the Guide but it seems it's not reliable and if I would get a chance to replace them with four-piston XT I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.
For me, Shimano brakes were always reliable, two of my bikes running Saints and the third one has SLX and they are flawless. Another + for Shimano is the mineral brake fluid...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
^^all of this. Saints are my fave brake. If zees had the adjustable lever I’d get those. New four piston xt are basically the same. They all take the same break pads. Also ez to add zee 4 piston calipers(cheapest option and identical to saint)to xt/slx brakes that have 2 piston calipers. Sram can have quality control issues and it more of an issue than it should be at this point. I really like codes though,if they’re a good set. Great power and modulation. Guides were ok on my trail bike but suffered in longer steeper dh trails. Pretty good feel but I’d never buy a set again

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
M8020 awsome brakes when you get used to the modulation

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles