Clutch Mech XT linkglide

Dubreak

Oct 31, 2019
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all,

I'm running an XT linkglide 11sp for about a year now. Deadly stuff. Only gone through maybe 3 chains in a year, pretty much usual. Everything else is running fine. Minimal wear, and I go out about two days a week, all through winter.
Only thing is now in need of care is the XT Derailleur clutch mech. Seems like I lost the little rubber grommit plug to stop water ingress (why is that hole there anyways? Maybe to drain or inspect, dunno, never really understood why shimano XT mechs have drain holes, is it because the rubber gasket might fail? Dunno). Anyways, today discovered that it is very rusty inside. Sprayed some citrus cleaner inside and tried to clean it up as much as possible, was on trails up the mountains in Dublin).

Do normal XT Derailleur clutch mech replacements work in linkglide derailleurs, or are they different? Are they worth replacing, for maybe 10 quid online, or would it be better to buy a new linkglide XT Derailleur instead, they're only 54quid.

Do repairs of clutch mechs really work? There seems to be some process in the manufacturing of them that design little plastic claws on the tensioner band screw block that will snap if taken out. I replaced a clutch mech before on my previous XT 11 Drivetrain, and those little plastic claws broke when trying to get it out and off, seems like they're designed to break lol.

I watched Doddy do it before, successfully. On GMBN tech. He makes it look easy.

Anyways, here's a reminder to check your derailleur for a missing rubber plug. Why it's there, I've no idea. Seems like the same engineer who worked on the ventilation Shaft on the Deathstar, also designs derailleurs.

Regards,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles