Clear error log in Shimano E Tube Project??

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
I have a Shimano SM-PCE02 that I use on my laptop for updating my bike firmware and other diagnostic/maintence duties. I use the Shimano software (new version 5) for Windows. I had an error code E1003 - sensor abnormality - show up several months ago which advised I would have no assist functions and to see the dealer. The error never appeared on my controller and the bike has never malfunctioned. I have all assist functions and bike operates normally. I only found the error in the error log when using my phone app one day while connected to the bike via Bluetooth. Using my SM-PCE02 I can see the error in the log but when running error check diagnostic on the bike everything is normal. I think the error E1003 may be a one time 'ghost' error. I want to clear the motor error log if possible and see if it comes back before contacting Shimano. Anyone know how to clear the log??

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
No responses ...but I did find out the answer from Shimano tech support if it helps others. The error log cannot be cleared and is a permanent record. It records each instance of an error so multiple errors may show a more serious ongoing issue whereas a single recorded error may just be a 'startup or momentary software glitch'. Tech advised the E01003 error which many users on this forum have reported on their EP8 motors (including brand new bikes) is not worrisome if it is not a recurring error but can be caused by improper startup of the bike and a few other startup/initialization issues. Tech further advised it would not affect future warranty claims.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
This is tangentially related, but might be of interest to you. I've worked on giant motor controls, much more sophisticated than what we have on our bikes, but there are similarities.

Even on million dollar systems (at current exchange rate, about fifty quid), odd glitches can be recorded by computer systems. It's nothing to get excited over, until there are patterns or other noticeable symptoms. Many smart troubleshooters have fallen down the rabbit hole of trying to diagnose an obscure glitch that doesn't really matter. Our fancy computers can tell us a lot of things, but it takes an expert to know which of that data is relevant.

Here's a little trick when dealing with non-volatile memory logs without time stamps. The challenge is when reading the log, it's hard to be 100% certain whether an error is a new one or an old one. So when you're done working on the bike, purposely introduce a NEW error. I'm not sure exactly how, as I've not worked on your bike, but maybe unplug the switch for a moment, or keep the speed sensor from working. The computer will record that error. Note what it is. The next time you look at the log, only look at the errors that occurred after the one that you introduced. Fun stuff!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles