Chris Smith moving on from EMBN

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
One of the key benfits of a forum like this one is that you can identify brands/bikes that have problems. OK it is true that it is very easy to gain the wrong impression because those who encounter problems are far ore likely to post a bout it here than the ( probably) hundreds of others that do not................and that is very much the case on any forum. It is also the case that ( this and other forums) those with greater inclination to modify and experiment , coupled with perhaps greater expectation will post here. Lets face it, there is also the fact that no one who has deliberated for a ges and then spent good money on an EMTB is then readilly going to admit they bought a lemon!!

So watching something like Robs reviews and then monitoring this forum.............then maybe picking a middle path between them, gives a pretty good perspective on many bikes.
I certainly do not agree with the comment that there are no bad bikes out there. It may be just one model in the range, it may be one batch, it may be one choice of totally inadequate component............but there are bikes to avoid sadly.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Robs video are good to watch but inevitably he is mostly unable to uncover weaknesses of components or design over an extended period of ownership. He is informative and enthusiastic so you can at least learn a fair amount about the bikes he tests. He does include some comments that could be taken as criticisms such as his dislike for the trend towards shorter chain stays. It has to be remembered however he is a very tall rider invariably riding XL frame sizes. He is also clearly impressed by aesthetics.........clean cable routings/pearlescent spray paint finishes/ carbon frames.........and I find most of those aspects insignificant compared to engineering "fit for purpose"..................but I am entitled to my opinion and he his:p
I know that an engineer can clearly see features and design problems in a way that non-engineers frequently cannot. It is not a criticism; it is recognition that they have neither the training nor the inherent aptitude / born skills / whatever it is that pushes individuals towards being an engineer. Any more than I could be a musician, a master of wine, or an electronics expert; I lack the aptitude. An enthusiast who rides bikes for a living and reports on them must have picked up a thing or two and will know a good bike from a bad one. For sure he will have ridden more different bikes than I have! If indeed Rob is not an engineer, then I cannot blame him for not having the vocabulary, the perception, nor the training to know a good design from a bad one just by looking. I am an engineer and I love bikes, love tinkering and maintaining them. I can ride a bike and know it is a great bike (for me), but would struggle to be precise (and correct) about what it is that makes it great when an apparently similar one is flawed. I have a similar problem with beer. I love drinking it and can easily identify what I like (instantly!) and very easily distinguish between one that I don't like and one that is just "off". But for the life of me I couldn't say why it was off. I lack the vocabulary and the training.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Is that a tat on his head or a fluff of hair? I had trouble watching him due to that. If it's hair, shave it off Mate. Or wear a knit hat like Steve does!
I agree it's really off-putting! At least he has lost the Bobbie Charlton recently.
He really does need to go the full zero graded clip though.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
He's a nasty piece of work and most of his videos are just advertising for his BBs.
I've only watched a few of his vids but wasnt left with a good feeling.. he was slagging off everyone who made anything that was 3/1000's of an inch out of spec and then as you said, promoting his own BB..

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
He's a nasty piece of work and most of his videos are just advertising for his BBs.
Hmm. I've looked him up on Google & I agree. I 'm wrong about him. That'll learn me to skim watch a couple of videos.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've only watched a few of his vids but wasnt left with a good feeling.. he was slagging off everyone who made anything that was 3/1000's of an inch out of spec and then as you said, promoting his own BB..
That's nothing compared to the story in Rusty's link...

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Job vacancy advertised.

1673266526957.png

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Job vacancy advertised.

View attachment 104284
That's funny as we've been discussing about this in this thread! I'm sure their wage is paltry as they probably tell you it is a stepping stone and an opportunity to become famous!

I bet Steve "moves on too" at some point. He is a good presenter and decent salesman, very knowledgable and it is entertaining to watch his reviews (but of course, taken with a grain of sand as he is still a product pusher for the bike companies rather than an unbaised reviewer).

His trip rides to far off places are done very well especially the camera work, scenery and camera angles. He also would be a perfect candidate to rep for a major bike brand and make a better living, I'm sure.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Steve dropped the how to lose weight on an EMTB video I’d seen him on Alan’s Instagram so expected this. Alan is a cracking coach IMO

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Must admit I rarely watch EMBN these days, only if a specific bike is being reviewed, and I’ll watch Rob’s review first. Much prefer GMBN. I wouldn’t be surprised if EMBN is already on the decline in terms of number of subscribers, and eventually just gets abandoned in favour of GMBN covering both MTB & EMTB

EMBN’s subscriber numbers are very small already when compared to GMBN and even GCN. It’d be nice to see Rob’s channel overtake EMBN in subscriber numbers, only another 100k to go 😀

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
There's only so much you can say about bikes though. I've wondered how many videos GMBN have made about how to wheelie or go round corners or whatever. Tricky business trying to flog Ergon saddles at Windhill during yet another game of BIKE.

Miket775

Feb 4, 2020
Northampton, UK
That's funny as we've been discussing about this in this thread! I'm sure their wage is paltry as they probably tell you it is a stepping stone and an opportunity to become famous!

I bet Steve "moves on too" at some point. He is a good presenter and decent salesman, very knowledgable and it is entertaining to watch his reviews (but of course, taken with a grain of sand as he is still a product pusher for the bike companies rather than an unbaised reviewer).

His trip rides to far off places are done very well especially the camera work, scenery and camera angles. He also would be a perfect candidate to rep for a major bike brand and make a better living, I'm sure.
I think that if Steve goes it's because he'll be moved to Discovery's coverage of world cup downhill - he's done a few GMBN tech vids on DH recently

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
YouTube pays creators 55% of add revenue. If the video is 8 mins or longer you get adverts placed in the middle as well as at the start and end. Ad-sense revenue is not a lot (about half a penny per view) and that’s a very rough figure as depends on the niche.
A lot more revenue is generated by affiliate links in the description but the most I suspect is from product sponsorship within the video. This doesn’t have to be cash but could be free merch to the creator, equipment or even a bike.
Creating a catchy click-bate title and thumbnail is really important for views. If people (subscribers) watch a lot of the video initially and like it and comment then this sends powerful signals back to YouTube and they send it out to non-subscribers and that’s how a channel can grow exponentially. The first 48 hours are fairly crucial for a video’s success upon release.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
YouTube pays creators 55% of add revenue. If the video is 8 mins or longer you get adverts placed in the middle as well as at the start and end. Ad-sense revenue is not a lot (about half a penny per view) and that’s a very rough figure as depends on the niche.
A lot more revenue is generated by affiliate links in the description but the most I suspect is from product sponsorship within the video. This doesn’t have to be cash but could be free merch to the creator, equipment or even a bike.
Creating a catchy click-bate title and thumbnail is really important for views. If people (subscribers) watch a lot of the video initially and like it and comment then this sends powerful signals back to YouTube and they send it out to non-subscribers and that’s how a channel can grow exponentially. The first 48 hours are fairly crucial for a video’s success upon release.
Growth rates also come into it I’ve heard - a stagnant channel will get less promotion than one growing from a low base.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles