EMBN

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi,
I wonder why they don’t pitch the Haibike Xduro Nduro 10.0 2018 model up against the Kenevo in this show, they are similar bikes. They have got BOTH BIKES THERE, but only talk about the Kenevo and Levo....?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi,
I wonder why they don’t pitch the Haibike Xduro Nduro 10.0 2018 model up against the Kenevo in this show, they are similar bikes. They have got BOTH BIKES THERE, but only talk about the Kenevo and Levo....?
They are sponsored by both companies so I doubt they will ever compare them (and if they do I’m sure they will make them equal!) which is a shame.

Last edited:

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
As Jonash say's, (y) but I would love to see that one play out, and If they did :unsure: it doubt it would look too good for Brose even with the new S motor over the old T motor.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
As Jonash say's, (y) but I would love to see that one play out, and If they did :unsure: it doubt it would look too good for Brose even with the new S motor over the old T motor.
Yes, i think you are right when it comes to climbs. With 75Nm the Bosch motor is megastrong. However if the Haibike is equal down the mountain as well, i think there will be a lot of angry Kenevo fans ;) would be amusing at least.
But i really think it's a shame that EMBN will be so biased beacause we need a channel like this in these days. The technology is evolving at warp speed and spitting out new better models all the time. If this is keept from the public it's not only a shame, it's a profanity :eek:

E

EddieJ

For me, the one and only plus point about the channel, is that they haven't yet mentioned WD40!

Beyond that, there is nothing that holds interest or attracts me to watch.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
For me, the one and only plus point about the channel, is that they haven't yet mentioned WD40!

Beyond that, there is nothing that holds interest or attracts me to watch.

Hey Eddie

Love it, so funny :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am pretty sure they did you know, and very recently too................. if it wasn't EMBN it was GMBN. :ROFLMAO: saw it only this week.

E

EddieJ

See what you have done! You have managed to spoil what I had considered to be the one plus point of the show. I feel a broken man now because of you. o_O

E

EddieJ

Please don't tell me that you have just sat and watched through the episodes again. You must be traumatized!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

E

EddieJ

Getting back to the channel and it's content, my take on it is the following.

We are only going to get to see products from sponsoring companies, so look forward to plenty of WD40 and products that may or may not benefit the majority of eMTB end users.
Each week is just going to be the same boring bikes over and over (No disrespect intended to owners) but sponsorship is going to dictate the show.
No hardtails are going to be shown, or at least until Specialized produce one, then there will be one on every show, and the FS owners will be bored.
Almost every episode is just going to be either racing up, or down, with continued emphasis on speed, and little else.
UK ride locations are going be close to zero.
It is quickly going to be repetition after repetition.
Censorship of comment will triumph.

This is what I'd like to selfishly see them doing.

Using eMTB's from every manufacturer, including self build bikes.

Swap between full suspension and hardtail.

Forget the which is best and which is fastest, or at least do it without bias.

Focus on real world riding that perhaps 95% of the subscribing viewers will actually complete.

Film in locations that once again, 95% of subscribing viewers might actually be riding in. This could be Incorporated into downloadable mapping for viewers.

Film some shows focusing on riding in wet and muddy European conditions.

Explore what tyres work or don't work, again without a sponsorship bias.

Ride with subscribers, not just professional riders. This could be integrated into a regular feature offering 'real world' tuition, and demonstrating progress, or even failure. By doing this, true meaning will be given to the bikes use, and what can be expected in terms of range etc.

Carry out workshop shows, where ebike specific items are removed/serviced for periodic maintenance.

Focus on product reliability, and highlight by example, any issue that a particular make or product might have.

Film at different times of the day or night, and differing weather/climate conditions.

Take part in eMTB specific events, again preferably events that are being ridden by non career riders.

Show innovations and forth coming products, and not just from sponsors.

Interview industry insiders.

Interview ordinary people that might have completed some form of achievement or goal using an ebike. This could be from scaling some monumental climb, to simply just getting onto a bike after some trauma or health issue.

Go out on group rides with non career eMTB riders. For me the use of just career riders is a big mistake, as it doesn't really make for real world riding.

Test components such as differing makes of drive train, and test to see if ebike specific components are any better than none ebike specific, to see if it just marketing bull.

And finally, research facts before passing incorrect comment or statement.

There is probably so much more that I can't currently think of, but as things stand, I certainly don't feel that I am currently the target audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EddieJ

Well, show five was certainly as dull as dish water.

One thing is certain, the Rocky Mountain wouldn't stand a chance in UK winter riding conditions. I'd love to review one for a couple of weeks, to prove it.

I also noticed that they didn't like a reply in response to a comment by John Rushworth, and removed it. It would seem that censorship is another to add to the list above.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Well, show five was certainly as dull as dish water.

One thing is certain, the Rocky Mountain wouldn't stand a chance in UK winter riding conditions. I'd love to review one for a couple of weeks, to prove it.

I also noticed that they didn't like a reply in response to a comment by John Rushworth, and removed it. It would seem that censorship is another to add to the list above.

Totally agree with you! And for the Enduro bike vs ebike on Sunday it will probably be 2 bikes from “the same brand” and the result will be a draw ?probably pitch a stumpjumper against the Kenevo, just to make it more stupid! LOL ?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Pity they didn't elaborate on the Italian guy who managed to piggyback another battery on a turbo levo! I would have been interested to see how he did it

It will just be run in parallel with the main pack.
The piggy back will need to be made to produce the same nominal voltage (normally 10s/36volt).

Just need to be very careful both packs are at the same voltage when you connect them. If not the resultant current flow as the two packs try to balance out can be spectacular.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The piggy back will need to be made to produce the same nominal voltage (normally 10s/36volt).

Just need to be very careful both packs are at the same voltage when you connect them. If not the resultant current flow as the two packs try to balance out can be spectacular.
I've always wondered how these big packs would react to a thermal event!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire

I've always wondered how these big packs would react to a thermal event!

Lion cells behave much better than LiPo as they are designed to vent.

You just have to imagine two large tanks of water next to each other with a connecting pipe. If one is full and one is empty the water wants to rush between the two to level out.
In the case of batteries if the wire is thin it will burn up as it cannot handle the current. If the wire is thick enough to handle the current the low voltage cells will cook as the usual max charge rate for our 18650 cells is normally 0.6C far lower than the discharge rate (approx 10C dependent on cells).

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
So bearing in mind on a levo it’s a smart battery do you think it’s viable to hook a dumb battery up in parallel? Not really planning on trying but interested in possibilities

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
So bearing in mind on a levo it’s a smart battery do you think it’s viable to hook a dumb battery up in parallel? Not really planning on trying but interested in possibilities

The main +ve & -ve power connections just supply the juice there are additional pins for other functions. (Incidentally if anyone has details of the Rosenberg magnetic connection protocol I’d love to get a copy!)

In the photo it appears he has added the piggy back wiring directly to the motor assembly.

Care has to be taken as posted above.

The piggy back system on my Focus works differently, it uses only the piggy back when connected isolating the onboard pack to eliminate the balancing effect.
Not sure how the new Haibike version functions, I guess it will be similar to Focus though.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
I really miss testing like Bible of bike test, that’s spot on. We need that for emtb’s as well! With so many brands releasing their emtb’s It’s impossible to compare bikes back to back in different categories with several “judges” as they have in that test.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
EMBN has something to learn:

Last year our no-holds-barred approach cost us more than € 40,000 in advertising fees from infuriated advertisers, but we believe in nurturing long-term relationships through honesty. What use is a scrubbed-up, facelifted review? The customer will be let down by both the magazine and the manufacturer when they get home with a poorly built bike.

The ten most important factors to consider when buying an E-MTB | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

I love this attitude!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles