Chris from Colorado

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Hi all -

Just recently moved to Colorado and must do what all people do in Colorado, which is have N+1 bikes.

I haven't been on a bike for about 20 years but got back into it starting with an Aventon which for the price was a good way of getting outdoors, but I'm now ready to step up to a more capable emtb.

I'm currently in "analysis-paralysis" mode based on all the choices available, so I'll be leveraging a forum such as this one to help me in my decision making process initially.

Glad to be here

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi all -

Just recently moved to Colorado and must do what all people do in Colorado, which is have N+1 bikes.

I haven't been on a bike for about 20 years but got back into it starting with an Aventon which for the price was a good way of getting outdoors, but I'm now ready to step up to a more capable emtb.

I'm currently in "analysis-paralysis" mode based on all the choices available, so I'll be leveraging a forum such as this one to help me in my decision making process initially.

Glad to be here
What kind of riding do plan on doing?

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
What kind of riding do plan on doing?
I have some open trails close to my house so just casual riding, nothing hardcore. I'd love to get both a e-mtb and a regular gravel bike and mix and match my rides. Figure the gravel bike may help with upping my fitness level, whereas the e-mtb will get me out more!

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I have some open trails close to my house so just casual riding, nothing hardcore. I'd love to get both a e-mtb and a regular gravel bike and mix and match my rides. Figure the gravel bike may help with upping my fitness level, whereas the e-mtb will get me out more!
So this narrows the field down a bit to probably to a cross-country or trail bike. Are you thinking hardtail or full suspension?

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
So this narrows the field down a bit to probably to a cross-country or trail bike. Are you thinking hardtail or full suspension?
Let me be the first to admit I'll likely get way more bike than I need for the type of riding I'll be doing or my skill level. To be honest, a regular gravel bike would likely be sufficient for the terrain I'll encounter.

That said, I feel that an emtb will get me over the steep climbs and occasionally I could take it to more mountainous trails. At the same time, I want to work on my fitness and do manual peddling too. Currently I'm lusting after the Fuel ExE precisely because it's not a full powered bike AND "relatively" light so I can pedal without assist to work on my fitness level. It's just hard to justify the price based on my skill level and terrain.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Let me be the first to admit I'll likely get way more bike than I need for the type of riding I'll be doing or my skill level. To be honest, a regular gravel bike would likely be sufficient for the terrain I'll encounter.

That said, I feel that an emtb will get me over the steep climbs and occasionally I could take it to more mountainous trails. At the same time, I want to work on my fitness and do manual peddling too. Currently I'm lusting after the Fuel ExE precisely because it's not a full powered bike AND "relatively" light so I can pedal without assist to work on my fitness level. It's just hard to justify the price based on my skill level and terrain.
first ask yourself what is your realistic budget? As far as more bike than you need going a few steps above what you need is actually a very practical thing to do. Also don't think you can't go full power and get fit or pedal with it off for that matter with the right bike. Don't get me wrong lites can be a good choice as well.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We had two gravel bikes and a road. Sold all of those shortly after getting my Trek Rail. We purchased Trek Powerfly 5’s Hardtails (his/hers). With the proper tires we can still ride on the roads and the local trails. When I take the HT into the mountain trails I switch to another tire.

These HT’s can go anywhere. I wouldn’t take my full suspension on the road…not necessary. I save that for gnarly stuff.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles