Choosing an EMTB

Ziptie 524

May 16, 2024
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys, looking to get my first emtb. I need some knowledge and input.

Option 1 is a 2018 Haibike xduro allmtn 7.5

Option 2 is a 2021 Trek Powerfly FS4.

Haibike is well used but fully operational.

Trek is in like new condition.

Looking to use for pre riding GNCC and enduro courses for offroad moto. Maybe ride to and from the gym. Im 6 ft 180-185. Any input would be nice. Can snag either one for about $1800.

Ziptie 524

May 16, 2024
Atlanta, GA
The winning argument!
It's newer and less likely to have age-related problems with the motor and/ or battery. And if you do, you have an expert close by.
Someone just pointed out to me that the trek has only 100/120mm of suspension travel but the haibike has 150mm both front and rear. Im not going down any black trails. Its premade courses for motorcycle enduros. Would the trek be good enough for that with 120mm of suspension?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Someone just pointed out to me that the trek has only 100/120mm of suspension travel but the haibike has 150mm both front and rear. Im not going down any black trails. Its premade courses for motorcycle enduros. Would the trek be good enough for that with 120mm of suspension?
Ah, you got me there! I didn't look up the spec of the bikes, I had assumed that they were similar enough for you to judge them as fit for your purpose.

For my purposes, I would want the 150mm minimum. You may be very happy indeed with the lower travel. Many very good riders make lower travel look like more.
Personally, I would be concerned about any 2018 bike without seeing a full diagnostic on the battery and knowing for certain how many miles the bike had travelled.

Ziptie 524

May 16, 2024
Atlanta, GA
Ah, you got me there! I didn't look up the spec of the bikes, I had assumed that they were similar enough for you to judge them as fit for your purpose.

For my purposes, I would want the 150mm minimum. You may be very happy indeed with the lower travel. Many very good riders make lower travel look like more.
Personally, I would be concerned about any 2018 bike without seeing a full diagnostic on the battery and knowing for certain how many miles the bike had travelled.
Bike has 1500 miles. And apparently was recently serviced at a bike shop.

timpuparts

Jan 1, 2024
Dallas GA
GasGas has many of their bikes on sale. I would go new for a little more money.
IMG_6176.png

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
My brother just bought a new gas gas and loves it. It was a killer deal!
And two local deaIers.
On e-bikes, I have noticed they seem to beat the crap out of themselves more than the regular pedal bikes, and consequently require a bit more attention. Having a dealer nearby for repair is clutch for an ebike imho.

paolo_materazzi

May 21, 2024
Milano
Hi guys, I'm considering buying a cargo bike to transport two kids. I'm choosing between the Yuba Kombi and the io InBicy. What would you recommend?

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Hi guys, I'm considering buying a cargo bike to transport two kids. I'm choosing between the Yuba Kombi and the io InBicy. What would you recommend?
Neither but this one

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
why?
I don't quite like the look of this one, and I see it weighs 40kg. And what kind of motor is it?
If you don't like it here's another option.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles