Cheap 27.5 wheels... but for road/gravel use?

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
I've changed my tyres from Smart Sam to Eddy Current, plus added Tannus inserts, and let the PSI down. Off road, with the e-engine on, the difference is astounding and I love it.; but on the road (without assistance) to something that's like trying to pedal a motorcycle with a flat tyre.

So I was thinking, get a 2nd set of wheels, put the Smart Sam on them, and then swap wheels for road & offroad use.

What are the recommendations for the cheapest 27.5 wheelset? Bear in mind this is for road/gravel use NOT off-road, so they can be relatively weak.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Thanks. My pressure might be too low but it's about 25 (Tannus, tubed). I'll put a bit more in and test it. Tannus should protect the rims, isn't burping part of being tubeless?

When I lift the front or rear of the bike and drop it, the tyre hits the road with no bounce, just a clingy thud.

I wouldn't buy more tyres, I'd use the Smart Sam at least to use them up. With plenty of air in them (and I don't know what I got from the factory, I blew them in a rock garden before I got my gauge) and they were fine on the road, little resistance little noise. Heck they were pretty impressive on actual gravel (fire roads).

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
I admit as a n00b I might be silly but I'm basically new to "proper" biking (as distinct from a town runaround). And yes I'm heavier, and older but I do NOT ride like a granny. I wish! Have you seen "North Shore Betty"? Seventy three and she definitely has skills I do not. I admit it. I hope that I will get her skills one day with enough trail time, but that time is not yet. I only mention the drop test because on the previous setup there was bounce. It felt lively. Other e-bikes that I had people test at trail does it too. But my new tyres, heavier, inserts, lower pressure, it has gone from a bounce to a dead-drop thump. If there is no significance in that, fair enough. But I noticed it along with the leaden feel when zero-power pedalling. But it also gave a fantastic trail ride, completely transformed my trails from hideous and dangerous to glorious, fast and fun. NOT that I have much cross-bike experience to compare. But aye, I'll try more tyre pressure too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles