Charging times; a table

Billy1mate

Apr 17, 2019
Dorset
Am I missing something here, are you all trying to charge your batteries to 80% and not 100%?
At the risk of sounding an idiot, the way I understand it with Li-On batteries is, it is advisable to have 80% charge in a battery if it is going to be stored or unused for a period of time and not charged to 80% to use on a regular basis.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Am I missing something here, are you all trying to charge your batteries to 80% and not 100%?
At the risk of sounding an idiot, the way I understand it with Li-On batteries is, it is advisable to have 80% charge in a battery if it is going to be stored or unused for a period of time and not charged to 80% to use on a regular basis.
Yes, the gist of this thread is that batteries will last much longer if only charged to 80%.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I was waiting till I had some reasonable experience with the new charging times. My figures are pretty rough - I've just been going by the 5 bar indicators. So if 4 bars are showing after charging that could be anything from 61 - 80%; I do get an idea of how much charge that 4th bar has by my next ride ie I usually get to a certain place before I lose the 1st bar, then it was close to full charge.

To summarise, this is for the shimano E6002 charger which is 1.8 amp. The charging times given for this are 6 1/2 hours to 80% and 7 1/2 to 100%. What has been working for me is 4'30" of charge time for each % of battery that needs charging. Once it gets to 80%, it does indeed speed up. So my time of 4'30" (or 270 seconds) per % is only for charging up to 80%.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles